cnc-ddraw as an opportunity to play good old Windows games

Moderator: Forum moderators

Grey

cnc-ddraw as an opportunity to play good old Windows games

Post by Grey »

So, cnc-ddraw. Not really emulation (not emulation at all :) ), but still not everyone sees the difference (about like Wine, the main thing is that it works).

A great project to run old Windows (199X-20XX years and DirectDraw) games. Easy to use, just add to the game folder and override ddraw in Wine.
I checked in Fossapup (old) and everything is fine there via OpenGL and NVidia drivers. Vulkan is not there yet. Yes, even Snes9x 1.62.2 already has Vulkan support :) - I checked and launched it - but everything is ahead. The project is developing.
There are shaders (seems to be borrowed from RetroArch :) ) and they can be configured quite well on a modern monitor for low-resolution old games.
In fact, a lot of games are supported, although they are not all listed on the project page.

What I managed to check personally in Fossapup on my second computer with a Xeon E3-1270 v2 processor and an Nvidia GT 1030 video card. Mostly strategies:
Nox, Atrox, StarCraft, Warcraft 2, Dune 2000, Red Alert 2 (forgive me, Statue of Liberty, but airship Kirov reporting :) ).
Also, I kicked the asses of all my nephew's friends at Atomic Bomberman. Weaklings, they don't know how to do anything.

Fossapup OS, Ryzen 5 3600 CPU, 64 GB RAM, GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4 GB, Sound Blaster Audigy Rx with amplifier + Yamaha speakers for loud sound, USB Sound Blaster X-Fi Surround 5.1 Pro V3 + headphones for quiet sound.

Grey

Re: cnc-ddraw as an opportunity to play good old games

Post by Grey »

Grey wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 1:17 pm

Easy to use, just add to the game folder and override ddraw in Wine.

It is not necessary to go into the Wine settings. You can do something like this (WINEDLLOVERRIDES=):

Code: Select all

#!/bin/sh
CURRENT_DIR="$( cd "$( dirname "${BASH_SOURCE[0]}" )" && pwd )"
cd "${CURRENT_DIR}"/StarCraft/wineprefix/drive_c/Program\ Files\ \(x86\)/StarCraft/
WINEPREFIX="${CURRENT_DIR}"/StarCraft/wineprefix WINEDLLOVERRIDES="ddraw=n,b" /opt/wine-stable-5.4/bin/wine loader.exe

Why is Wine so ancient :) ? In fact, I have a whole bunch of them in the /opt folder and I use them depending on the situation. 5.4 my favorite. But there are 8.5 and 6.X.X and all that.

Fossapup OS, Ryzen 5 3600 CPU, 64 GB RAM, GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4 GB, Sound Blaster Audigy Rx with amplifier + Yamaha speakers for loud sound, USB Sound Blaster X-Fi Surround 5.1 Pro V3 + headphones for quiet sound.

Return to “Emulation”