How to set up a remote desktop between Linux and Windows?

New to Puppy and have questions? Start here

Moderator: Forum moderators

Luke25

How to set up a remote desktop between Linux and Windows?

Post by Luke25 »

Hello everyone!
I have a question, can I set up a remote desktop between Linux and Windows? I know that I need an IP address for this connection, how do I find it and what should I do next? Please tell me, I will be grateful for your help!

p310don

Re: Remote desktop

Post by p310don »

Yes, it is easy enough to do.

Which machine do you want to view from?

The easiest solution is using VNC. Either machine needs a VNC server and a VNC viewer. Once appropriately installed and the server is running, open the viewer, type in the IP address and away you go.

wizard

Post by wizard »

If you just need to connect on your local network check this howto: viewtopic.php?p=59674&hilit=vnc#p59674

If you need to connect through the internet, then use Anydesk., To give you better advice we always need to know the Puppy version you have and any other details about how you will use.

wizard

Big pile of OLD computers

Melony

Post by Melony »

Hi! I found the following information for you: to find out the IP address of a Linux computer, you need to open Terminal, and type the following:
ifconfig
After that, you will be able to connect using Remote desktop protocol. To do this, you need to install Xrdp software on your Linux machine. Complete installation in person, or with the SSH command. Enter the command:
sudo apt install xrdp
After that, type "rdp" into the search function, then run the Remote desktop software on the Windows computer.
From within the Remote desktop connection pop-up window, type the Linux computer's IP address, then click connect.
There are also other methods, more details here https://www.helpwire.app/blog/remote-ac ... m-windows/
Hope it helps you! :thumbup:

Return to “Beginners Help”