F96-CE_4 Latest Stable Release

Moderator: Forum moderators

amethyst

Re: F96-CE_4 Latest Stable Release

Post by amethyst »

It would be nice to have a "Change default" button on the window.

Wouldn't that amount to an extra click anyway? Doesn't really make sense to me.

rockedge
Site Admin

Post by rockedge »

I am thinking it would make it possible to change the configuration and choose which default is presented and is a totally optional feature. Only needs to be clicked to change the default choice going forward.

This configuration and be in some other system configuration menu to prevent clutter.

amethyst

Post by amethyst »

rockedge wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 3:43 pm

I am thinking it would make it possible to change the configuration and choose which default is presented and is a totally optional feature. Only needs to be clicked to change the default choice going forward.

This configuration and be in some other system configuration menu to prevent clutter.

The point is that once the user realizes how the current configuration works (which in most cases will be after the first time they have read the text message) there is no reason for change in my view. Since the timeout is short for the default, I can't see much of an inconvenience anyway. But really what are we actually talking about here - too much effort to press the enter or tab and enter for immediate response? Getting ridiculous. BTW - Consider including peasydisk in the next release. This can replace pburn and isomaster or just be an addition (it's just a small utility using already builtin components).

vtpup

Post by vtpup »

I look forward to trying out F96-CE v5 with the 6.8.4 kernel and I'm hoping it will work better than the huge-6.8.1-ubun64oz-ao-LOLAT kernel I tried last couple weeks. Never did straighten out problems with that one. Meanwhile the huge-6.1.8-fossapup64 kernel from here https://archive.org/download/puppy_linux_-fossapup64 has had fewer issues than any other one tried on the new laptop (specs in sig).

Nevertheless speaker sound still does not work, and wifi required some additional firmware and modules, but it was able to be improved with those. I really look forward to known improvements in a 6.8 series kernel for OpenGL and Mesa support of later intel graphics. This may get rid of problems in rendering in Wine that I've experienced, when doing a left click and drag maneuver (select area). Also I hope for less glitchy synaptics touchpad support in later kernels.

6.8.1 lowlat had unresolved problems which I finally gave up on. But maybe the 6.8.4 will be better. I wonder if the size difference accounted for the difference in performence? 6.1.8 was 147 MB, packed, while 6.8.1 was only 45 MB, packed. Not very huge by comparison.

Anyway, looking forward on the new machine to newer kernels and firmware support.

HP Envy Laptop 17t-cr100
Fossapup F-96 CE rev 4
Huge kernel: huge-6.1.8-fossapup64

My homemade foam boat:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sDubB0-REg

Sylvander

Post by Sylvander »

@rockedge
Any idea how long it's likely to be until F96-CE v5 is issued?
I'm wondering whether to hold off customizing FossaPup for my needs, or if it's likely to be a long time, to go ahead now.
I don't fancy having to do it twice. :thumbdown:

rockedge
Site Admin

Post by rockedge »

Any idea how long it's likely to be until F96-CE v5 is issued?

Not 100% sure how long.....but at least not until summer for the first tests......

I'd say do your customization now.

Sylvander

Post by Sylvander »

@rockedge
OK. :thumbup:

dimkr

Post by dimkr »

@vtpup Mesa drivers are not part of the kernel, you're not getting newer ones when you update just the kernel. Ubuntu 20.04 and distros derived from its packages like Fossapup are stuck with old Mesa drivers that don't support recent hardware (unless you use https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Kernel/LTSEnablementStack, unsupported in Puppy). You need a new Puppy with recent packages to get recent Mesa drivers.

sonny

Post by sonny »

dimkr wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 8:15 pm

@vtpup Mesa drivers are not part of the kernel, you're not getting newer ones when you update just the kernel. Ubuntu 20.04 and distros derived from its packages like Fossapup are stuck with old Mesa drivers that don't support recent hardware (unless you use https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Kernel/LTSEnablementStack, unsupported in Puppy). You need a new Puppy with recent packages to get recent Mesa drivers.

Second to that. I'm in the midst of a 'divorce' from fossapup64-9.5.
I've been 'flirting' with BookwormPup64 in the past few days.
I guess tech ain't like wine, which ages gracefully over time.

vtpup

Post by vtpup »

dimkr wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 8:15 pm

@vtpup Mesa drivers are not part of the kernel, you're not getting newer ones when you update just the kernel.

@dmkr I didn't say Mesa drivers were part of the kernel. I said

vtpup wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 12:57 am

I really look forward to known improvements in a 6.8 series kernel for OpenGL and Mesa support of later intel graphics.

re. https://www.phoronix.com/news/Intel-Xe- ... .1-Default

HP Envy Laptop 17t-cr100
Fossapup F-96 CE rev 4

My homemade foam boat:

dimkr

Post by dimkr »

Without updated Mesa, there's not much to gain from updated kernel drivers. OpenGL is implemented in the Mesa driver, updating to kernel 6.8 only allows you to see these improvements *if* Mesa is new enough.

greengeek

Post by greengeek »

sonny wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 9:23 pm

Interested to know why you are divorcing from Fossa9.5 ? Is it because you have recent hardware or for some other reasons?
(I am only just transitioning from 32bit to 64bit so am watching what works or does not work for others...)

sonny

Post by sonny »

greengeek wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 9:10 am
sonny wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 9:23 pm

Interested to know why you are divorcing from Fossa9.5 ? Is it because you have recent hardware or for some other reasons?
(I am only just transitioning from 32bit to 64bit so am watching what works or does not work for others...)

1. FP64-9.5 has a tendency to break when updating packages (kinda delicate/fragile)
('usr/lib or usr/lib64 or usr/lib/x86_64linux-gnu' drive me crazy at times)

2. I wish to remaster a 'more' versatile and 'more' future-proof/sustainable version of
Puppy for the broader/mainstream users

Note: In this day and age, size and speed are no longer relevant.
1GB, 2GB, or even 3GB of Puppy should run just fine on today's CPU,
RAM, SSD, USB, etc. Tech is evolving, so is Puppy

vtpup

Volume Control and Bluetooth

Post by vtpup »

I have one irritating issue with the volume control app on the new laptop in sig, below. It is automatically changing its mute settings based on whether I plug in wired headphones or use bluetooth headphones. If I use bluetooth headphones, all is well, but if later change to wired headphones the headphone volume is automatically muted. Then the volume control app must opened to unmute two of the control sliders.

Unmuting these never seems to stick between reboots. Seems like you should be able to set headphone volume once and forget it. And use any headphone type you choose after that. I don't think the volume control app should be auto-muting things.

HP Envy Laptop 17t-cr100
Fossapup F-96 CE rev 4

My homemade foam boat:

vtpup

Post by vtpup »

I've noticed a few times that when I load an older SFS it doesn't actually appear -- for instance an older 5 series LibreOffice which once loaded should appear in /opt doesn't appear there afterwards. However it is listed in Boot Manager as loading at boot time (though it doesn't) and if I click on the .sfs again it says it is loaded and asks if I want to unload it.

HP Envy Laptop 17t-cr100
Fossapup F-96 CE rev 4

My homemade foam boat:

Return to “F96-CE”