How to boot a puppy.iso direct from an existing grub2 bootloader

Moderator: Forum moderators

msrx111

How to boot a puppy.iso direct from an existing grub2 bootloader

Post by msrx111 »

This is my first posting here and I'm from Germany and my Einglish is not so good.

My Situation:
Thinkpad Laptop 250G SSD and ArchLinux, Debian and Deepin on it. I've read, that it is possible to use the Grub2 Bootloader to boot direct the iso file and not to use a USB Stick.

On my Laptop there are 6 Partitions, efi arch debian deepin home and a seperate Partition to store downloaded isos. (/dev/sda6) The isos lie directly in the root of the Partition, no Folder was createtd. The bootloader is handled by the ArchLinux System on /dev/sda2.
If you want to boot your puppy iso by grub2 you have to start your linux System on the HD. In my case ArchLinux. Edit the /etc/grub.d 40_custom file:

Code: Select all

menuentry 'Puppy ISO' {
  set isofile='/puppy.iso'
  loopback loop (hd0,6)$isofile
  linux (loop)/vmlinuz boot=live config iso-scan/filename=$isofile  noprompt noeject
  initrd (loop)/initrd.gz
}

where set isofile is the name of your puppy isofile (I've renamed ist to puppy.iso)
after loopback loop you have to write the path to your Image, e.g. in my case /dev/sda6 = (hd0,6) hdb might be hd1 the 5. partition might be 5 and so on.
The next line is to boot the iso. You can mount your isofile (mount -o loop /PATH/TO/ISO /Mountpoint to see how the files in your case are named.(vmlinuz and initrd.

After editing that file save it, write a new configuration for your bootloader ( grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grun.cfg ) and reboot your computer.
You will have a neww entry fpr Puppy Linux, and with this you can start Puppy from the iso....

Be aware, you have to edit my example for your needs. Paths Filenames and Device settings. Otherwise it will not work....

Have a nice day!

Return to “Boot”