Installed windows programs using wine won't open

Moderators: 666philb, Forum moderators

MobPsycho

Installed windows programs using wine won't open

Post by MobPsycho »

I recently installed puppy Linux and can't get .exe applications running using wine. The applications are installed and appear on the desktop but haven't used wine before so don't know why the applications won't open.

bigpup

Re: Installing windows programs using wine

Post by bigpup »

First you have to get Wine installed and setup.

Have you tried to install Wine?

Not all Windows software will run in Wine or will run with issues.

So, what are the programs you are trying to run?

The things you do not tell us, are usually the clue to fixing the problem.
When I was a kid, I wanted to be older.
This is not what I expected :o

mikeslr

Re: Installed windows programs using wine won't open

Post by mikeslr »

Ditto what bigpup wrote. But if you're not using MikeWalsh's portable-wine 5.11 available from here, https://www.forum.puppylinux.com/viewto ... 191#p68191 I strongly recommend that you uninstall whatever version you now have and use it instead.

It does not install. You download the tar.xz, Right-Click, select either UExtract or pExtract, then move the extracted Wine_5.11-portable64 folder next to the folder where you'll find the Puppy system files, e.g. puppy_fossapup64_9.5.sfs; or the top of Puppy's partition if it is not in a folder.

Inside the Wine_5.11-portable64 folder you'll find a script named Wine-Link. With internet access established, Left-click that script. It will create the Wine-prefix within the portable folder and while doing so offer to install Mono and another application relating to internet (neither of which are essential nor used by the programs I run).

Once the Wine-prefix is created, Left-Click the menuadd script.

The above procedure usually is sufficient to create an association between Wine and an exe so that Left-Clicking an exe will run the the program. If it doesn't, Right-Click the exec and from the pop-up menu select Set Run Action. The following GUI will appear:

Set Run Action.png
Set Run Action.png (41.63 KiB) Viewed 489 times

In front of the "$@" type wine32 for 32-bit programs; wine64 for 64-bit programs.

See this thread about creating menu entries, https://oldforum.puppylinux.com/viewtop ... 96#p979566, including my post which follows the OP. Note that the thread related to using a different (older) build of portable wine which required the command 'wine.sh' to start programs. MikeWalsh's portable doesn't; the command(s) are as noted above. Otherwise those posts accurately explain how to create menu entries running MikeWalsh's portable.

mouldy

Re: Installed windows programs using wine won't open

Post by mouldy »

Um, it also depends on program he is running, first is it 32bit or 64bit. Also some software like KINDLE4PC, the modern versions require minimum of 32bit WINE6.0 or newer. As nice as the recommended appimage or portable 5.11 is, it just wont work with something like KINDLE4PC that requires a newer version WINE.

For complete newbie to WINE, if you need newer version WINE, strongly suggest you install PlayOnLinux, its a front end for WINE, but its real benefit is you can install just about any version WINE, 32bit or 64bit that you might imagine from inside PlayOnLInux automagically and that version will work. It has several annoying quirks, so dont expect perfection, but once you figure it out, along with some workarounds its very convenient. Been a while since I used it in Puppy but think with POL you do need the 32bit compatibility library SFS. Honestly cant remember for sure. But its likely. If you are running 32bit WINE of course. Nice thing about that appimage/portable version WINE5.11, it comes with the 32bit library built in. So if WINE5.11 works for your needs, it is very easy and convenient and best way to go. If it isnt new enough to meet your needs then its pointless.

And lastly, not every windows program will work in WINE of any kind. It just wont. Go to WineHQ website to find status of various windows programs in WINE. Some have workaround tricks, some only partially work, some just work all the way. Some just wont work unless you are skilled enough to figure out your own workaround. And if you have those kind programming skills, you probably wouldnt be posting here.

Return to “Fossapup64”