Debian Bookworm - today update

a very small Live CD shaped to look and act like Puppy Linux.

Moderator: fredx181

soniabu

Debian Bookworm - today update

Post by soniabu »

Hi everyone.
as I do every day I started the update&upgrade and this strange message came out (in the image highlighted with N in red)
indicating a URL that I went to read and I only understood that I should do something but I don't know how to do it..
Can anyone enlighten me on this?
thanks sonia

fredx181

Re: Debian Bookworm - today update

Post by fredx181 »

soniabu wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 5:14 pm

Hi everyone.
as I do every day I started the update&upgrade and this strange message came out (in the image highlighted with N in red)
indicating a URL that I went to read and I only understood that I should do something but I don't know how to do it..
Can anyone enlighten me on this?
thanks sonia

Yes, if you need non-free-firmware, I wrote about that earlier, see here: viewtopic.php?p=84286#p84286

For an existing build, change in /etc/apt/sources.list:
deb http://deb.debian.org/debian bookworm main contrib non-free
To (add "non-free-firmware"):
deb http://deb.debian.org/debian bookworm main contrib non-free non-free-firmware

EDIT: and see here for the Debian announcement : https://www.debian.org/releases/bookwor ... free-split

soniabu

Post by soniabu »

Thanks Fred, now I understand.
I don't know what to do though. I would prefer to use free sw (otherwise I would not use Debian).
So, I'll save your instructions for pointing to the non-free firmware file in case I change my mind in the future.
Does this seem right to you, or do you advise me to change it immediately.?
sonia

fredx181

Post by fredx181 »

soniabu wrote:

So, I'll save your instructions for pointing to the non-free firmware file in case I change my mind in the future.
Does this seem right to you, or do you advise me to change it immediately.?

Then... only change it if you need non-free firmware (often required for WIFI, but maybe you don't use it).
Although it cannot do any harm if you add "non-free-firmware", it's still your choice to install anything from it or not.
The thing is that in the past non-free firmware was provided by "non-free" (already part of the repositories for this DebianDog Bookworm), but now it's changed to "non-free-firmware".
So for example package firmware-misc-nonfree https://packages.debian.org/bookworm/fi ... sc-nonfree will be not available to install anymore, unless you add "non-free-firmware" in /etc/apt/sources.list

soniabu

Post by soniabu »

Well Fred, thanks, I get it.
I still use WIFI but for now Bookworm has never asked me anything about it, nor specific free software.
HI
sonia

Bene Fred, grazie, ho capito.
Io comunque uso il WIFI ma per ora Bookworm non mi ha mai chiesto nulla al riguardo, nè softwere libero specifico.
ciao
sonia

fredx181

Post by fredx181 »

soniabu wrote:

I still use WIFI but for now Bookworm has never asked me anything about it, nor specific free software.

I forgot about that the ISO that I think you use has included a firmware .squashfs module loaded at boot (in "live" directory), so lots of firmware is included that way.

dancytron

Post by dancytron »

I built a default Bookworm openbox with some added nonfree drivers before I broke my laptop and it worked and booted fine.

Return to “DebianDogs”