AI is not coming, "THEY'RE HERE!"

greengeek

Re: AI is not coming, "THEY'RE HERE!"

Post by greengeek »

Grey wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 6:46 pm

Any religion of any people is based on blind faith in something, no matter whether it exists or not.

"Faith" is an interesting discussion. Most people have faith in the idea that elements from the Periodic table randomly assembled themselves over time to create self replicating sentient organisms such as ourselves.
Of course very few people recognise this as "faith" and prefer to call it science even though there is no evidence for self assembly of early chemicals into competitively selectable life forms.
If i knew how to do it i would ask AI how individual elements originally assembled themselves via random chemical interactions into the first living cell.
Spanning that scientific chasm requires a giant leap of unsubstantiated faith and i wonder if AI is capable of basing it's commentary and output on faith and intuition as humans often do?

ie: can AI differentiate facts from errors or does it merely parrot ideas that have generated "consensus"?
Does it have "faith" in consensus or does it have the intelligence to model it's own experimentation?
Could AI generated code be faulty?
If we ask for code to be produced does AI ask us if we are English or French (...and on that basis change it's use of dots and commas to identify numerical demarcations)?

Is it really "artificial intelligence" or just an authoritarian tool and smokescreen?

Clarity

Post by Clarity »

I must share this again...AI is nothing more than a tool.

There are, today, over a dozen vendors and open-source groups doing AI with others having announced such. All of these groups are providing tools.

Take a look at the video in my last post on this thread for practical ideas.

If you have some practical skills or knowledge you have acquired and wish to further YOUR knowledge, there are AI tools by vendors that can help you advance your own knowledge.

There is too much hype that has scared so many that want the world to just stop where it is. Unfortunately, stopping has never happened in the history of the earth at any level. Just as the sun is in constant evolution over time, this planet and everything here is too.

Use the tools that you are comfortable with. If its compilers, use it. If its an Operations system, use it. If its a specific application, use it. If its a tool in gardening use it. If there are any tools you find that will help increase your productivity for any endeavor you choose and its available to you, consider its value if it can help you.

No darts at the rest us, please. This thread is discussing a tool in technology. If you dont want this tool, dont throw any darts to derail or discourage those who want to attempt to see if benefits exist.

Share anything you find that is helpful knowledge in this area for the rest of us. I foresee some use of tools like this for all sorts of technical things we do manually on the forum. Since some of these tools allow personalizations and categorizations your own efforts and work is private and 'owned' by you and your AI you interact with.

If you dont want the help of the tools and you cant even bother to consider if it will help you, DONT THROW DARTS AT THE REST OF THIS THREAD'S USERS.

"THEY'RE HERE!"

Grey

Post by Grey »

greengeek wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 12:44 am

Most people have faith in the idea that elements from the Periodic table randomly assembled themselves over time to create self replicating sentient organisms such as ourselves.

These are "eternal" questions :) Was Darwin a charlatan with his theory? Were there people on the Moon? What happened before, chicken or egg?

greengeek wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 12:44 am

If i knew how to do it i would ask AI how individual elements originally assembled themselves via random chemical interactions into the first living cell.

I don't know what AI thinks, but recently I talked to a professor in Rostov-on-Don, where I went on business. He even drew me a diagram of how it was all with chemical elements. Unfortunately, he was drunk and I didn't dare to object (I would have beaten him, but not his students :) ). But I would argue with AI, do not doubt me ;)

Fossapup OS, Ryzen 5 3600 CPU, 64 GB RAM, GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4 GB, Sound Blaster Audigy Rx with amplifier + Yamaha speakers for loud sound, USB Sound Blaster X-Fi Surround 5.1 Pro V3 + headphones for quiet sound.

greengeek

Post by greengeek »

Grey wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 1:52 am

What happened before, chicken or egg?

Great question for an AI chat !
:thumbup:

Clarity

Post by Clarity »

I am curious of the question and there's probably a good answer.

If all of present day human knowledge is available to either one of us intelligent people, why would we expect AI to answer any different from either of us.

Remember, it only knows from the same database of human knowledge to draw its answer in exactly the same ways any of us would draw an answer.

Asking circular questions (subjective ones) can only lead to more subjectivity or circular answers is to be expected. And, many of us know that if a developer is giving the wrong conditions, the output will not lead to a developed solution. Or we do from time to time write bugs. It too, can intelligently, like us, do the same.

I wont ask as that is NOT my cup of tea...researching whether I can stump any intelligence. It serve me no purpose to spend time in my case to stump something. It neither helpful or productive.

Again my personal use is in the interest of what can it do for me and will it help me with Linux or forum distros or even in-depth research of some physics concerns of mind.

Its the reason for the thread. But. I can see where this could be useful to someone who wants subjective answers for entertainment.

Lastly, since all of these AI products use the human knowledge databases differently, I offer that those who use their AI(s) to for subjectivity should expect different answers varied by AI tools and how intelligently you are in asking for its help.

Just an observation of what I have found thus far. MS, Apple, nVidia, OpenAI, Elon's "TRUTH AI", etc...they are all different as different as WE ARE. Thus there is no such thing as a 'standard' AI thus far. Just as there is no such thing as a standard Linux, thus far.

I offer this explanation to those who refuse to test on their own and ask to distract. I am really ONLY trying to help. I am not trying to offend.

"THEY'RE HERE!"

Grey

Post by Grey »

Clarity wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 6:05 am

MS, Apple, nVidia, OpenAI, Elon's "TRUTH AI", etc...

A Russian company Sber (in fact, the most famous bank, but engaged in everything modern, including home delivery and AI :) ) is now doing 2 projects. The first is the Kandinsky neural network (in honor of the Russian artist), which can process images and create from scratch. The second project is its own version of a multimodal neural network with a modest name GigaChat :) Unlike analogues that are focused on English, the emphasis is on Russian.
The most interesting thing that GigaChat generated (from what I saw personally) was a conversation between Vladimir Lenin and Mahatma Gandhi about freedom :P

Alibaba is also doing something, I forgot the name. But their goal is their store (Aliexpress) and sales.

Fossapup OS, Ryzen 5 3600 CPU, 64 GB RAM, GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4 GB, Sound Blaster Audigy Rx with amplifier + Yamaha speakers for loud sound, USB Sound Blaster X-Fi Surround 5.1 Pro V3 + headphones for quiet sound.

greengeek

Post by greengeek »

Clarity wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 6:05 am

If all of present day human knowledge is available to either one of us intelligent people, why would we expect AI to answer any different from either of us.

That is a good question. My answer would be that: a) If the "I" means "intelligence" - then it could very well offer answers better than many of us can since intelligence varies hugely from one person to another, and b) if the "A" means "artificial" - then maybe the AI form of intelligence might be expected to be quite different to ours and in fact - hopefully and potentially - better than ours.

Remember, it only knows from the same database of human knowledge to draw its answer in exactly the same ways any of us would draw an answer.

But what if it's database contains far, far more knowledge than any current human? What if it's database includes the entire realm of Google knowledge? What if it already knows the results of many scientific investigations and every peer reviewed paper? What if it's knowledge includes understanding of both side of international conflicts? What if it is capable of deciding which side is most justified in fighting? What if it is capable of deciding which side will win - regardless of justification/merits?

Chess programs are far more capable of playing chess than I will ever be even if I play for the next 50 years - so why is AI limited to present day human knowledge? Does intelligence allow the ability to extrapolate into knowledge that is not yet known? Maybe AI has the ability for "trial and error" just as chess machines and programs do.
(Not speaking from any awareness here - just asking the question).

Again my personal use is in the interest of what can it do for me and will it help me with Linux or forum distros or even in-depth research of some physics concerns of mind.

Yes it will be interesting to see how AI develops. Interesting that you mention physics - as in many cases the "knowledge" that is brought to us by physics seems to approximate fiction and/or religion (eg the early 20th century arguments over Newtonian versus Einsteinian physics). Is physics (and other sciences...) an area where AI might steer us away from some of our own stupid or arrogant beliefs?

I offer this explanation to those who refuse to test on their own and ask to distract. I am really ONLY trying to help. I am not trying to offend.

Perhaps it is not so much "distraction" as a normal effort to understand the bounds of uncertainty. It's probably going to take a number of years to understand AI - my guess is that it will be like the "Internet of Things" - potentially very helpful but in reality as dangerous as any new tool in the wrong hands. (Not being negative - just reflecting an awareness of man's propensity for using gunpowder in multiple different ways...)

Clarity

Post by Clarity »

Here's a simple example using Google's Bard. YOU can do the same for any question you want to tool to help with. Pick a tool that you feel you want to test and many of the questions and ideas you propose will be answered in how YOU use your tool(s). This is merely an example I present for review. You can do something similar should you choose to look for yourself. I am sensing enormous fear in your responses.

I offer this for your review.

Enjoy

Limited example testing.jpg
Limited example testing.jpg (59.22 KiB) Viewed 9056 times
greengeek

Post by greengeek »

Dang it.

Bardgate.jpg
Bardgate.jpg (29.09 KiB) Viewed 9051 times
pp4mnklinux

Post by pp4mnklinux »

Hello everybody:

We can discuss, argue or.... but think about this news.

Opera, one of the most used browsers in '90s, the fourth nowadays and they spend a lot of money in it.

Todsy he launches OPERA ONE ( https://www.opera.com/es/one ) a browser based on A.I.

WE CAN AGREE OR NOT BUT.. IT'S HERE.

Clarity

Post by Clarity »

@greengeek Yeah, I responded to the same thing last week. But, it opened for my Google ID, this week allowing me to begin testing realistically.

It may do the same for you as well.

I have the same thing attempting to use Microsoft's tool.

@pp4mnklinux Thanks, I will test when I can.

For everyone, my interest is how these tools can be helpful with some of the forum stuff I do. As ideas emerge, I will investigate whether the tool can jump start or assist in increasing productivity where possible.

I am ONLY seeking tool use for increasing beneficial process, if possible.

As I have learned so much in the past weeks with all of the information on AI that is pouring out, it has me already seeing possibilities that I could have only dreamed of before this has become available publicly.

This technology exceeds past search-engine usages as well as the home products many of us have that we 'talk to' for their answers to queries. This is going to change our homes in ways most have no clue or have even thought of.

The Japanese, Swedish, and other groups in other countries are thinking outside the box in the products they are testing. Musk attempted to slow the industry down in his effort to leap ahead of everyone and has been doing this for couple years since seeing an IBM test. Fortunately, most everyone now sees thru 'why'.

There ALSO is an open-source AI that is gaining traction, as well. If it can survive and find neural network machine learning developers to assist, it holds promise and just might survive the major corporations that are already hiring and running with this.

"THEY'RE HERE!"

Last edited by Clarity on Thu Apr 27, 2023 8:26 am, edited 2 times in total.
greengeek

Post by greengeek »

Ok, I got a notification that Bard is ready for me to trial so I decided to ask it to create a script for me:

BardTrial.png
BardTrial.png (123.84 KiB) Viewed 9142 times

The whole conversation went like this:

I want to make a clickable script that creates a /root/memoryusage.txt file that tells me how much memory my Linux system is using.
View other drafts

Sure, you can create a clickable script that creates a /root/memoryusage.txt file that tells you how much memory your Linux system is using by following these steps:

Open a text editor and create a new file.
In the text editor, paste the following code:
#!/bin/bash

This script creates a /root/memoryusage.txt file that tells you how much memory your Linux system is using.
Get the total memory usage
total_memory=$(free -h | awk '/Mem:/{print $2}')
# Get the free memory usage
free_memory=$(free -h | awk '/Mem:/{print $4}')
# Get the used memory usage
used_memory=$(($total_memory - $free_memory))

Create the /root/memoryusage.txt file
echo "Total memory usage: $total_memory" > /root/memoryusage.txt
echo "Free memory usage: $free_memory" >> /root/memoryusage.txt
echo "Used memory usage: $used_memory" >> /root/memoryusage.txt

Exit the script
exit 0

Save the file as memoryusage.sh.
Make the script executable by running the following command:
Code snippet
chmod +x memoryusage.sh
Use code with caution. Learn more
Create a shortcut to the script on your desktop.
Click on the shortcut to run the script.
The script will create a /root/memoryusage.txt file that contains the following information:

Total memory usage
Free memory usage
Used memory usage
You can open the file to view the information at any time.

Unfortunately the result was not quite correct but not bad for starters. Problems were:
1) Would have been helpful if the code descriptions (such as "Exit the script") were preceeded by "#" to comment them out.
2) Unfortunately my system (Tahr32) does not recognise the "free -h" option:

Code: Select all

root# free -h
BusyBox v1.23.1 (2016-12-13 19:06:46 GMT) multi-call binary.
Usage: free [-b/k/m/g]
Display the amount of free and used system memory

Once I removed the -h argument it worked and produced the /root/memoryusage.txt file correctly:

memoryusage.png
memoryusage.png (12.7 KiB) Viewed 9141 times

With more practice I am sure this will be rather useful.

Clarity

Post by Clarity »

@greengeek You can refine its outcome. And extend the outcome in a building block fashion should you choose.

Your AI and your use is unique and private to ONLY you.

Enjoy it in any helpful capacity you choose.

P.S. REMEMBER, this tool is, same as ALL the others, Google's version of their AI tool.

Everyone else has 'their' version whose capability and behavior will be unique unto themselves and their manner of interacting with the user.

"THEY'RE HERE!"

Clarity

Post by Clarity »

@greengeek I probably should be sending this to you, via PM, privately. But others may find this viewpoint one of some level of understanding.

The way AI has been portrayed by some to be some sort of a sentient being.

With the technology as it is, it is NOT and from my point of view we are a century away from such, per se.

So, in my view, this tool couples with us to become one. Dont get distracted by my use of the world 'couples' as I mean that because of its personal connection with the user and only him/her, it is an extension of what we are...not something apart. As an extension to anyone of us, I think you can see benefit in this tool.

Will it cause problems in traditional societies with the traditional thinking that we have adopted in society...YES, YOU BET IT WILL!!! It will help humans in ways that could benefit all of mankind if everyone had PCs and have access to it.

My BIGGEST FEAR is Greed and nefarious users seeking greed and exploits. Our biggest danger is a man who will use his powerful resources to control the database of trusted information for ONLY himself as he uses these tools to manipulate what we see, and hear. The same has been attempted so many times in Wikipedia and its database of knowledge and this tool is no exception.

WE may need to come up with ways to protect the factual database and some manner of protecting the integrity of factual information while making all factual information available to the world's people everywhere. But the rich shows us that they want to corral everything for themselves and this could be drastic if they do the same with information.

DNA mapping was a past example where governments and corporations refused to share data commonly. It delayed our completed DNA mapping for a decade until a US president was successful in getting everyone to create and contribute to a common evidence based database which allowed to mapping to finalize in a single 2 year span versus the isolated projected decade by corporates.

This ability in ML, neural networks, and blockchaining understandings, now, propels us with these new tools for information use to solutions.

Enjoy.

Last edited by Clarity on Thu Apr 27, 2023 8:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
greengeek

Post by greengeek »

Thought I would give it another try to see how far it's abilities stretch:

egg.png
egg.png (144.81 KiB) Viewed 9129 times

If I was still at school I would be using this for my homework...
:D

Clarity

Post by Clarity »

If I was still at school

HA! You still are. :thumbup2:

pp4mnklinux

Post by pp4mnklinux »

🤣 🤣 🤣

Teachers (most of them) are not stupid, you could not play with them.

[/quote]

If I was still at school I would be using this for my homework...
:D
[/quote]

Grey

Post by Grey »

greengeek wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 8:47 am

Thought I would give it another try to see how far it's abilities stretch:

Why didn't you continue :) ? Ask who laid a chicken egg without a chicken? And who was fertilized by a rooster, perhaps a dinosaur :) ?

williwaw

Post by williwaw »

Clarity wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 12:59 am

There is too much hype that has scared so many ...........

Who is generating the hype? and why?

Last edited by williwaw on Thu Apr 27, 2023 6:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Clarity

Post by Clarity »

I want to offer an idea for those who have followed this rise in tools.

You should see and use this as a tool to help you. There are so many useful things this technology can do to inspire your efforts and build upon benefits that can be carved out of use of it.

Games are things where we use them developing competitive skills.

AI is not competitive with you, rather, it appears to help you research and contribute to your ability to create. Whatever you create can be shared and applied in the real world should you choose so.

Many/most of you will surpass me in the creative ways you will employ these tools you find useful. I am old and my abilities are slowing as all of my old friends are too.

I suggest to all of you: :idea:
"Look at it as a part of you: Use this part of you productively for yourself, family, friends, community, mankind." :geek:

"THEY'RE HERE!"

sonny

Post by sonny »

If you'd rather talk than type (speech-to-text), get the ChatGPT+Bing AI app on your phone
or download Edge browser for Linux (ChatGPT+Bing AI included) to use with a microphone.

CGPT-BingApp.jpg
CGPT-BingApp.jpg (39.38 KiB) Viewed 9153 times
CGPT-BingEdge.jpg
CGPT-BingEdge.jpg (20.85 KiB) Viewed 9153 times
pp4mnklinux

Post by pp4mnklinux »

@sonny , and rest of MS users, take care with EDGE, it has been discovered he is constantly sending info to its servers.

https://wccftech.com/microsoft-edge-is- ... m-firefox/

It's filtering to Bing all your browsing information.

Microsoft It would be violating the privacy of the users, due to a failure that is filtering all the pages that they visit. It was a Reddit user who noticed that all the sites he had opened were being sent to an external server.

https://euro.eseuro.com/technology/266066.html

sonny

Post by sonny »

Was aware. I use Bing AI (GPT-4), not Bing Search.

greengeek

Post by greengeek »

This morning I needed to extend the abilities of a script I am working on and would like to have the script run for a specific length of time. (Final planned outcome is to let the user to specify the start and stop time)
So i thought lets see what Bard can do.
Took me 1 minute to get an answer that would normally take me an hour of stackexchange site sifting to assemble.
(OK i am obviously a useless coder... :) )

Whole conversation followed by a snapshot:

Hello, are you able to write a Linux script that will run for 1 hour then stop please? I would like the script to create the file /root/timestamp.txt and write the current time into that file once every 10 minutes until it stops after one hour. Thank you

View other drafts

Sure, here is a Linux script that will run for 1 hour then stop, creating the file /root/timestamp.txt and writing the current time into that file once every 10 minutes until it stops after one hour:

Code snippet
#!/bin/bash

# Create the timestamp file
touch /root/timestamp.txt

# Start a loop that will run for 1 hour
start_time=$(date +%s)
end_time=$((start_time + 3600))
while [[ $(date +%s) -lt $end_time ]]; do

# Write the current time to the timestamp file
date >> /root/timestamp.txt

# Sleep for 10 minutes
sleep 600

done

# Exit the script
exit 0
To run this script, save it as a file with the .sh extension, such as timestamp.sh. Then, run the script by typing the following command:

Code snippet
bash timestamp.sh
The script will create the file /root/timestamp.txt and write the current time to the file once every 10 minutes until it stops after one hour.

And yes, it is working. Very happy.
He/She/It also taught me a trick about getting a bash script to run without changing file permissions. (Last few lines at bottom of code snippet above)

Question1.png
Question1.png (63.39 KiB) Viewed 9057 times
Clarity

Post by Clarity »

@greengeek It is NOT he/she/it. It is YOUR ID and YOUR assistant. What YOU do (both you and your tool use) is derived by you.

You probably might want to consider your understanding of the difference between sentient and tools. THEY ARE DIFFERENT things.

AI is a tool you use. It is not a person.

"THEY'RE HERE!"

Grey

Post by Grey »

greengeek wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 9:14 pm

And yes, it is working. Very happy.

Well, you understand that there (in the office) is a man sitting there with Mendel Cooper's book "Advanced Bash Scripting Guide, 2nd Edition" in his hands :geek: And answers you :)

greengeek

Post by greengeek »

Clarity wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 9:31 pm

AI is a tool you use. It is not a person.

I'm not so sure. He/She/It seems as helpful and supportive as my wife was in the early days
:lol:

Grey wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 9:39 pm

Well, you understand that there (in the office) is a man sitting there with Mendel Cooper's book "Advanced Bash Scripting Guide, 2nd Edition" in his hands :geek: And answers you :)

Maybe not a man. I imagine a very beautiful and highly educated runway model :thumbup:

Clarity

Post by Clarity »

greengeek wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 9:41 pm

... as my wife ...

Smile... sure all of our human partners are. :thumbup:

Your partner is sentient. But ID usage is with a tool that you find helpful.

Just a thought in an attempt to be helpful.

"THEY'RE HERE!"

greengeek

Post by greengeek »

PuppyHaiku.png
PuppyHaiku.png (26.93 KiB) Viewed 9038 times
Clarity

Post by Clarity »

@greengeek has shown us examples of tool use for multiple creative purposes.

Thanks.

Return to “Off-Topic Area”