EasyOS Kirkstone-series version 5.2.3

Moderator: BarryK

don570

frugal boot success when easy.sfs deleted

Post by don570 »

I think I found why I couldn't make a frugal install of Easy Os 5.0.
There was a copy of 'easy.sfs' on my hard drive at the top of hierarchy.
I think that was confusing the booting process.
When I deleted it I could boot up properly. ..but I'm not totally sure since error message was vague.
Something about easy couldn't be found.

Momanager worked well this time. I couldn't duplicate previous problem.

I tried unsuccessfully to get SAMBA to work.
..But I see that new samba package is available. I'll try that and report
http://distro.ibiblio.org/easyos/amd64/ ... -64.tar.xz

Wacom driver has the same problems.
I unplugged my Wacom graphics pad from USB port and GIMP works fine even with the Gimp preferences
being set for the graphics pad
Then I plug the pad in again and Gimp crashes with a segmentation fault.

Krita 5.1 imageapp works beautifully with pressure stylus.

The Pinetab2 uses an underpowered processor ---> Rockchip 3566
Easyos would be a natural choice for it.
https://www.pine64.org/2023/03/01/febru ... ing-shape/

shinyleaf

Re: EasyOS Kirkstone-series version 5.0

Post by shinyleaf »

Hi,

This morning, I downloaded easy-5.0-amd64.img

md5sum in website
977ff6a4511d452a065e07ced5b32599 easy-5.0-amd64.img

what I got when I ran md5sum /path/easy-5.0-amd64.img:
d41d8cd98f00b204e9800998ecf8427e

Hope this is helpful somehow. I'll try again in a day or so.

BarryK

Post by BarryK »

shinyleaf wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 9:36 pm

Hi,

This morning, I downloaded easy-5.0-amd64.img

md5sum in website
977ff6a4511d452a065e07ced5b32599 easy-5.0-amd64.img

what I got when I ran md5sum /path/easy-5.0-amd64.img:
d41d8cd98f00b204e9800998ecf8427e

Hope this is helpful somehow. I'll try again in a day or so.

After uploading easy-5.0-amd64.img, I downloaded it to check that md5sum is ok. And it was.

If you are in Europe, you can try the NLUUG mirror:

https://ftp.nluug.nl/os/Linux/distr/eas ... /2023/5.0/

Downloading from NLUUG right now, to verify the md5sum is ok....
Yes, OK

BarryK

Post by BarryK »

To let you guys know what is next on the to-do list, or rather, likely to be next...

There has been some discussion about installing .deb packages; the Vivaldi browser and Koodo Reader ebook reader.

I'm planning to add some more automation to the install process and offer choices, whether to do a normal desktop install, desktop install as non-root user, or convert to an SFS and install either on the desktop as normal user, non-root user or in a container running as crippled-root or spot.

I know that's lots of choices, which in itself is a problem for those unfamiliar with how Easy works, but I hope to present the choices in such a way that the purpose of each is clear.

First up on the to-do list is I plan to create SFSs of Vivaldi and Koodo Reader, then users just need to click on the "sfs" icon to install them.

Note, I posted earlier in this thread how to install Vivaldi .deb and set it up to run as user "vivaldi":

viewtopic.php?p=82823#p82823

...I received an email from Feodor confirming that the steps as I posted do work.

williwaw

Post by williwaw »

BarryK wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 10:55 am

Yes, after ticking the ungoogled checkbox, then click ok button, it will create a new script /usr/bin/ungoogled and rename the old one to /usr/bin/ungoogled.bin

Thanks, I moved the app, (or rather the wrapper for the app) to /usr/bin before running Login and security Manager
It's all there now.

kinoe

Post by kinoe »

@williwaw

Kinoe, please post your method to run ungoogled chromium as a user, ie without passing the --no-sandbox option if you get it working.

I didn't get the AppImage running as non-root :?
Would you mind to explain more detailed which steps you took to make the ungoogled Chromium portable running as non-root? I got it installed (without a menu entry- mayby the portable format wasn't installed into the right places?...), altered .clients-status accordingly, ticked the box "ungoogled" in the login and security manager, klicked OK. But neither I got an entry in the menu nor can I run it via the wrapper script and furthermore the client "ungoogled" vanished in the login and security manager :?:

williwaw

Post by williwaw »

I am using a portable of my own invention, not an appimage. but maybe I can help.

1. can you run your appimage as root? what command do you use to bring it up?

altered .clients-status accordingly, ticked the box "ungoogled" in the login and security manager, klicked OK. But neither I got an entry in the menu nor can I run it via the wrapper script

2. can you attach this wrapper script to a post? you may need to add a .gz to the name to make it attach.

a menu entry is not neccessary, but something that can be worked out later.

and furthermore the client "ungoogled" vanished in the login and security manager

I had a similar issue, but it was caused by making a poor choice in geany after running Login and security manager. try making your edit in .clients-status, then closing geany before running Login and security manager

BarryK

Post by BarryK »

Excuse me for not immediately answering some questions raised in this and other threads. Right now, involved in various other things...

I posted about a new logo:
viewtopic.php?p=83119#p83119

Also, planning to change the name of the distro, from EasyOS to waryOS (with a lower-case "w")
The new name will fit the new logo better, and it is also a tribute to the old "Wary Puppy".

I also posted about Vivaldi SFS:
https://bkhome.org/news/202303/vivaldi- ... a-sfs.html

However, I reckon it would be nicer to have an "Install Vivaldi" entry in the "Internet" menu, just like have currently for Firefox.

A bit of reading of the Vivaldi docs, I discovered it would prefer to have "user namespaces" enabled in the kernel, for when running non-root. The kernel currently does not have this enabled.

Then there was discussion about the kernel "landlock" security feature:
viewtopic.php?t=8023

So, putting Vivaldi on-hold for a little while, will compile latest 5.15.x kernel with those two enabled.
Um, it is now 8.10am, heading into the city for lunch at 10am, so will compile the kernel when I get back, about 1pm.

Then later tonight, hopefully, back onto implementing "Install Vivaldi" menu entry.

Vverve

Post by Vverve »

5 here,fresh frugal install , liking it
I do get strange reboot where application-default-browser get reset to chromium while set to chrome + my-xvkbd 4.1-easystroke.pet needing to be reinstall because of
xvkdb 3.8 keep coming back, while it have been remove with Remove buildin packages!!! Those happen ,pretty sure ,if unloading or loading sfs at reboot.

Wacom devices does not crash Gimp here,Don570 could try my /root/.jwm/jwmrc-personal easystroke fix ,wont hurt trying.

Easyos give impressive battery life to this device , did not search why. Battery applet wont work ,but pupsys-info see it all.

Homebrew(patched easyos original) chrome-110.latest-stable.sfs run ok.
(my bad ,as i did now see easyos my.sfs dont required extra-hash.spec to load !!!)

All appimage seems fine,old-right-click-uextract 3.?.pet to "run from terminal" useful for those long-name-i-am-lazy.appimage debug.

Found http://cgit.openembedded.org/meta-opene ... _0.3.66.bb
,did compiled & install pipewire_0.3.66 + wireplumber. It did compiled & install ok,seems to .
(The bb-meson-ninja-compiling understanding is hmmmm , here a working abstraction ...)
Pactl info does state pulseaudio(on pipewire0.3.66),
but there is a whole lot to be modify ...took a few notes , checked BK notes online + those hints left here&there .
Testing pro-audio or hw-card,
if sounds from audacious ,celluloid,my muse+yoshimi sfs the =browsers dont sink to alsa/pulseaudio.
If restartx, it revert to dummy output=browser get sound but nothing else does.
No hdmi or bluetooth tests.
Sadly,i dont see the light of day i'll acquire the "mindset/knowledge" to debug alsa-pulse-pipewire glitches,but still,testing is schooling.
Ideally , i think,pulseaudio should be eventualy remove completly ,pipewire could/should/will?/is dealing with alsa anyhow.

A name change? why not?

Else , this kirkstone easyos 5 is a very daily usefull tool ,so much that aint got time for other puppy tests.
Thanks BK + all.

Last edited by Vverve on Fri Mar 03, 2023 3:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kinoe

Post by kinoe »

@BarryK

to have "user namespaces" enabled in the kernel, for when running non-root to have "user namespaces" enabled in the kernel, for when running non-root

:thumbup2:

planning to change the name of the distro, from EasyOS to waryOS

Did you consider the meaning of the name change from "easy" (not difficult, requiring no great labor or effort) to "wary" (careful, prudent, alert, vigilant)? It might shed an unfavorable light on your project :?: No offence. ;)

don570

wacom driver

Post by don570 »

Vverve wrote:

Wacom devices does not crash Gimp here,Don570 could try my /root/.jwm/jwmrc-personal easystroke fix ,wont hurt trying.

Good to see you having success. I have old model (Bamboo) that maybe isn't currently supported. Reminds me of a forum member (Charlie) a few years ago who had a
Wacom model that wasn't properly supported in linux. He had problems getting it to run. Wacom has one guy whose job it is to support linux.

Vverve wrote:

if sounds from audacious ,celluloid,my muse+yoshimi sfs the =browsers dont sink to alsa/pulseaudio.
If restartx, it revert to dummy output=browser get sound but nothing else does.

I was able to get mhwaveedit to record sound from my sound input port (desktop model) using ALSA but strangely
when I use mhwaveedit mixer button ---> the pulse audio mixer pops up
Stranger still ,under input tab --> only the microphone (rear and front) is listed???
and I find that I can only get the machine to record to my sound input port by ticking off all the HDMI devices, not just one.
By the way I have nvidia gt 1030 video card which apparently can record HDMI audio .

Another odd thing --> ALSA mixer doesn't appear to work. It has a white background rather than normal black one.
Trying to set devices and volume with it doesn't work.

don570

Post by don570 »

I tried to get Samba sharing to work but no success.
I installed recent pet package
This definitely installed smbd and nmbd however easy share app showed only green icon
which indicated that samba wan't running.
When I ran smbd and nmbd from terminal there was a handful of dependencies not installed :roll:
So something is wrong.

BarryK

Post by BarryK »

don570 wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 7:39 pm

This definitely installed smbd and nmbd however easy share app showed only green icon
When I ran smbd and nmbd from terminal there was a handful of dependencies not installed :roll:
So something is wrong.

Packages should be installed by the "pkg" desktop icon, so as to install any dependencies.

If you do want to download and install the packages directly from ibiblio, you should click on "pkg" to find if there are any dependencies:

pkgget-samba-deps.png
pkgget-samba-deps.png (58.24 KiB) Viewed 1184 times
BarryK

Post by BarryK »

The Linux kernel has been recompiled, with landlock and user-namespace support:

https://bkhome.org/news/202303/kernel-5 ... space.html

The next release of Easy will have "Internet -> Download latest Vivaldi" in the menu:

https://bkhome.org/news/202303/new-viva ... k-pet.html

don570

EasyOS 5.0 supports Blender 3.5 beta

Post by don570 »

EasyOS 5.0 supports Blender 3.5 beta , There is no acceleration however and Cycles rendering must be turned on.

I checked the latest Blender appimage beta in fatdog64 812 and 813
and there was `GLIBC_2.28' not found' message

Here is terminal output....

Code: Select all

./blender: /lib64/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.28' not found (required by /opt/blender-3.5.0-beta+v35.00ca7c5221eb-linux.x86_64-release.tar.xz.extracted/blender-3.5.0-beta+v35.00ca7c5221eb-linux.x86_64-release/lib/libboost_filesystem.so.1.80.0)
# 

kinoe

Post by kinoe »

@williwaw
sorry for the delay, i got a flu

I am using a portable of my own invention, not an appimage.

--> this one??: https://ungoogled-software.github.io/un ... able/64bit

can you run your appimage as root?

--> unfortunately not

what command do you use to bring it up?

--> ran in a bash script:

/path/to/ungoogled-chromium_*.AppImage --no-sandbox

can you attach this wrapper script to a post

-->

chrome-wrapper.gz
(4.94 KiB) Downloaded 14 times

I had a similar issue, but it was caused by making a poor choice in geany after running Login and security manager. try making your edit in .clients-status, then closing geany before running Login and security manager

--> didn't make a difference

williwaw

Post by williwaw »

kinoe wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 6:36 pm

@williwaw
sorry for the delay, i got a flu

I am using a portable of my own invention, not an appimage.

--> this one??: https://ungoogled-software.github.io/un ... able/64bit
No, I use https://slackware.nl/people/alien/slack ... led/pkg64/ but its not a portable as dowloaded. I am still fine tuning scripts to make it do as I like. I keep it outside my easy install tho.

can you run your appimage as root?

--> unfortunately not

what command do you use to bring it up?

--> ran in a bash script:

/path/to/ungoogled-chromium_*.AppImage --no-sandbox

I'm not too familer with appimages. If you go to the directory where the appimage is and run ./ungoogled-chromium_*.AppImage --no-sandbox in a terminal. what error does it return?
If you open your appimage and drill down to the directory where the best part of the application lives ( something like/./././usr/lib64/chromium-ungoogled/chromium-ungoogled and run ./chromium-ungoogled --no-sandbox, you can usually get it to run as root.

can you attach this wrapper script to a post

--> chrome-wrapper.gz
tthis wrapper is not one I have seen in my version.

--> didn't make a difference

using barrys Login and security manager, the app needed to have link or script in /usr/bin to work on. If you can get it to run by clicking on chromium-ungoogled in the./././usr/lib64/chromium-ungoogled/, you could create a link to chromium-ungoogled in /usr/bin before running Login and security manager. if you cant make the executable in the appimage work, double check and make sure the appimage itself has executable permissions.

BarryK

Post by BarryK »

Regarding that Login and security Manager, you can bypass that, just do it directly in a terminal. No need to edit /root/.clients-status either. Just do this:

# /usr/local/clients/setup-client 'hexchat=true'

...that's for the example of setting executable 'hexchat' to run as non-root user "hexchat".

You do need to have /usr/bin/hexchat beforehand; the setup-client script will rename that to /usr/bin/hexchat.bin and will create a new script /usr/bin/hexchat

So if you create a symlink in /usr/bin to an appimage beforehand, and the appimage has its executable flags set, then you should be good to go.

I'm giving that advice without actually trying it, but it should be ok.

EDIT:
I just remembered, there is /usr/sbin/setup-client symlink to /usr/local/clients/setup-client, so all you need to do:

# setup-client 'hexchat=true'
kinoe

Post by kinoe »

Great, Barry it's as you explained, except that running the new script /bin/ungoogled results in:

[17572:17572:0308/181419.256907:FATAL:zygote_host_impl_linux.cc(127)] No usable sandbox! Update your kernel or see https://chromium.9oo91esource.qjz9zk/chromium/src/+/main/docs/linux/suid_sandbox_development.md for more information on developing with the SUID sandbox. If you want to live dangerously and need an immediate workaround, you can try using --no-sandbox.
/tmp/.mount_ungoogDEYeI4/AppRun: line 4: 17572 Trace/breakpoint trap   "${HERE}"/opt/google/chrome/chrome --password-store=basic $@

I suppose it is because "user namespaces" isn't enabled in the kernel for now?

@BarryK @williwaw @....

• I wonder how to get an entry for the appimage in the menu?-->Edit: I thought i got it :roll: so i created a shortcut to the /bin/ungoogled in the folder: ~/.config/rox.sourceforge.net/SendTo/.application_vnd.appimage, but it only adds the entry to the context menu of rox file manager not to the application menu

• Every major update, like from dunfell to kirkstone, i let a bash script redo my customization and config settings. Would be nice to have a command for changeing the wallpaper and even to 'put the tick in the box' of the newly created 'ungoogled' client in the login manager, if thats possible.

BarryK

Post by BarryK »

Regarding appimages, just to let you know, today I have started planning a GUI app to select an appimage, download and install it.

The plan is each appimage will run as its own user.

kinoe

Post by kinoe »

I'm looking forward to it!

scsijon

Re: EasyOS 5.0 supports Blender 3.5 beta

Post by scsijon »

don570 wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 8:28 pm

EasyOS 5.0 supports Blender 3.5 beta , There is no acceleration however and Cycles rendering must be turned on.

I checked the latest Blender appimage beta in fatdog64 812 and 813
and there was `GLIBC_2.28' not found' message

Here is terminal output....

./blender: /lib64/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.28' not found (required by /opt/blender-3.5.0-beta+v35.00ca7c5221eb-linux.x86_64-release.tar.xz.extracted/blender-3.5.0-beta+v35.00ca7c5221eb-linux.x86_64-release/lib/libboost_filesystem.so.1.80.0)
# 

Because Kirkstone has glibc 2.35 so really you need to recompile Blender.

don570

Post by don570 »

I only use the appimage of Blender.
Version 3.41 works well in fatdog64

scsijon

Post by scsijon »

don570 wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 11:57 pm

I only use the appimage of Blender.
Version 3.41 works well in fatdog64

:!: And what version of glibc was used in the compile of the fatdog64 Blender appimage?
Fatdog 810 seems to have 2.27 in it's packagelist, so maybe you need to just add a name link, however it would be best to recompile your blender so it has all the package matches for EasyOS 5 as there are a few other differances between fatdog and EasyOS to deal with.

Vverve

Post by Vverve »

Test latest pipewire - wireplumber oe pet.
more there: viewtopic.php?p=84210#p84210
---1 vote for wary---
Cheers

BarryK

Post by BarryK »

kinoe wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 5:32 am I'm looking forward to it!
I started a new thread for "AppImage Installer":

viewtopic.php?t=8248
BarryK

Post by BarryK »

BarryK wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 11:19 pm
don570 wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 7:39 pm

So something is wrong.

Packages should be installed by the "pkg" desktop icon, so as to install any dependencies.

If you do want to download and install the packages directly from ibiblio, you should click on "pkg" to find if there are any dependencies:

pkgget-samba-deps.png

Note, Easy 5.1 has returned to having samba package builtin.
So it avoids the hassle of samba not working and having to install packages.

BarryK

Post by BarryK »

BarryK wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 1:41 am

@tallboy
I went to vivaldi.com/download and downloaded the .deb, to /files/downloads
Then just clicked on it to install
An entry is created in the "Internet" section of the menu, but it doesn't start.

Running "vivaldi-stable" in a terminal:

Running as root without --no-sandbox is not supported.

In a terminal, I typed this and Vivaldi starts up ok:

# vivaldi-stable --no-sandbox

But we can do better, read on...

Hmmm, I noticed something...
I opened /usr/share/applications/vivali-stable.desktop in geany
Hmm, weird, the "Exec=" line is incomplete.

Well, can edit it. Firstly, I renamed /usr/bin/vivaldi-stable to just /usr/bin/vivaldi
and renamed /usr/share/applications/vivaldi-stable.desktop to just vivaldi.desktop
(I have a reason for doing that)

Edit the vivaldi.desktop file, for all the "Exec=" lines:

Exec=vivaldi

Hmmm, also the logo has gone awol.
Copy /opt/vivaldi/product_logo_48.png to /usr/share/pixmaps, and rename it to just 'vivaldi.png'

Then in vivaldi.desktop:

Icon=vivaldi.png

It will be much nicer if can run vivaldi non-root, then will not need that "--no-sandbox"...

Go to the menu "System -> Login and Security manager", click on "More" button...

do what it says. In the file manager, go to /root, right-click to show hidden files, then click on '.clients-status' and edit it, append this line:

vivaldi=false

Almost there!
Close that little red window, exit from "login and Security Manager", then restart it. See checkbox for vivaldi:

vivaldi-client1.png

...tick the "vivaldi" checkbox, click "OK" button

Now I have my fingers crossed, typed this in a terminal, without "--no-sandbox"

# vivaldi

...yippeee, vivaldi starts!

Quit vivaldi, now try from the menu...

But because I changed the .desktop file, do this first:

# fixmenus
# jwm -reload

yay, vivaldi works!

vivaldi is now running as user "vivaldi", home folder is /home/vivaldi

In the future, I would like to automate the steps of getting any app to run as a non-root user.

In Easy 5.1, the menu has "Internet -> Download latest Vivaldi"
I'm doing some final tests on 5.1, just checked the Vivaldi d/l works.
So you don't have to do any of the above.

BarryK

EasyOS Kirkstone-series version 5.1

Post by BarryK »

5.1 has arrived!

D/l from here:
https://distro.ibiblio.org/easyos/amd64 ... /2023/5.1/

Or if already running 5.0, just click on the "update" icon.

Release notes:
https://distro.ibiblio.org/easyos/amd64 ... -notes.htm

don570

Re: EasyOS Kirkstone-series version 5.1

Post by don570 »

Easy OS 5.1 release notes

Samba is again builtin

:thumbup:

Return to “EasyOS”