Techrader Article ranks Puppy and EasyOS

stemsee

Techrader Article ranks Puppy and EasyOS

Post by stemsee »

Just read this articile on techrader about the best linux distros 2023, both puppy linux and EasyOS get write ups.
https://www.techradar.com/best/best-linux-distros

Last edited by bigpup on Fri Feb 24, 2023 6:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: edited link so it is clickable. All that is needed is just the web address
stevie pup

Re: Techrader Article ranks Puppy and EasyOS

Post by stevie pup »

I've just read this article and I must admit a few bits left me scratching my head. Most of what they said about Puppy appeared to be fair enough, but with two exceptions. Some time last year in a review of Puppy they commented on "Limited software library" as a reason to avoid, which for whatever reason they decided to not mention in this review. As for Easy, they said "There's nothing easy about EasyOS". Such as? I'd love to know what BarryK thinks of that!

But what baffled me the most was how on earth they managed to put Nitrux as number one. I tried Nitrux myself a few weeks ago, and was dismayed. Fair enough a lot of the reasons were simply due to personal taste. I have never used the KDE Plasma desktop with any distro before, and won't be using it again based on that experience.

I didn't find it at all intuitive to use. At one point I opened something, music player I think, then it took me an age to find how to close it again. I also noticed that a lot of the supplied software was stuff I'd never heard of. Consequently it wasn't long until I'd dismissed it and erased the USB stick. I would now like to erase it from my memory.

If at any point in the future they offer an alternative desktop I will give it another try, but until then will be ignoring it. There are ample far better distros out there.

stemsee

Re: Techrader Article ranks Puppy and EasyOS

Post by stemsee »

stevie pup wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 1:50 pm

As for Easy, they said "There's nothing easy about EasyOS". Such as? I'd love to know what BarryK thinks of that!

As a user of EasyOS, just installed on my chromebook as a test, I can testify it was indeed easy ... to use! ... but to be fair the container system, should you want to dig into it, seems complex! Not all my hardware worked, and I wasn't able to just drop in a kernel and modules package that i know gets all the hardware up and running! So it does get 'involved' depending on what you need to do with it. I will write my own review of EasyOS 'on Acer Chromebook Hardware' if i succeed in compiling a kernel that works with easy and my hardware, as I have found a couple of minor things which, in my opinion, need a little attention.

Return to “Off-Topic Area”