Building a Puppy Linux version (information on how to do it)

Moderator: Forum moderators

bigpup

Building a Puppy Linux version (information on how to do it)

Post by bigpup »

Anyone can build a Puppy version, after learning how to use Woof-CE build system.

The Woof-CE build system is designed for allowing anyone to build a Puppy version.
Your main job is deciding what will be in the Puppy version.
Woof-CE build system does all the heavy work, of putting it all together, into a working operating system (Puppy Linux).

After reading the info provided in these two links.
You should be on your way to building your version of Puppy Linux.

Building a Puppy on GitHub
https://github.com/puppylinux-woof-CE/w ... -on-GitHub

woof CE Contributor 101
https://github.com/puppylinux-woof-CE/w ... ibutor-101

Note:
Every Linux operating system must have some basic Linux core files and programs to work.
These Linux core files and programs are always needed in a Linux operating system.

In Puppy Linux, there are no real Puppy Linux repositories of core Linux files and programs.

What Puppy Linux does, is get these needed core files and programs, from the repositories of other Linux operating systems. (Ubuntu, Debian, Slackware, etc....)
These other Linux operating systems have dedicated repositories, that are well maintained.

When a Puppy version is built, using the Linux core files and programs from one of these other Linux operating systems repositories.
That Puppy version, is said to be based on this other operating system.
But really, it is nothing like the other operating system. It is very much a Puppy Linux operating system.
What the two operating systems have in common, they both use the same Linux core files and programs.
So good chance, software compiled for the other Linux operating system, will also work in the Puppy Linux version.
Example:
Puppy Linux Fossapup64 9.5 is using the Linux core files and programs from the Ubuntu Focal Fossa repository.

Forum Global Moderator
The things you do not tell us, are usually the clue to fixing the problem.
When I was a kid, I wanted to be older.
This is not what I expected :o

Return to “Compile”