Setting Terminal preference <SOLVED>

a very small Live CD shaped to look and act like Puppy Linux.

Moderator: fredx181

dcung

Setting Terminal preference <SOLVED>

Post by dcung »

I notice that earlier DDOG that uses earlier Thunar, open terminal differently (i.e. XFCE Terminal vs UXTerm). For this I use StretchDog vs Bullseye for comparing, but as I recall Sid/Bookworm DDog also open UXTerm in Thunar.

I did investigate, and I know that in Thunar, I can just set "Configure custom action", "Open Terminal Here" and set whatever terminal emulator I want. I have tested this, it works. So, it's not really a 'problem' as such, more of a learning exercise for me.

My point is that earlier DDog and current DDog execute the same command line (in Thunar)

Code: Select all

exo-open --working-directory %f --launch TerminalEmulator

So, there must be another place to set this preferences. I haven't found it yet.

The more I research, the more places I found people are saying to set this.
It could be Thunar question, exo-open question or XFCE panel question (?)
The closest explanation I found by searching the net, was that you can customise exo-open TerminalEmulator.
But I don't know how/where yet.

Update:
I just notice, with Bookworm XFCE4, Thunar open XFCE Terminal (i.e. same as StretchDog DDog), and the command line is also
exo-open --working-directory %f --launch TerminalEmulator

scrot-1.png
scrot-1.png (308.59 KiB) Viewed 1005 times
Last edited by dcung on Sat Feb 25, 2023 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fredx181

Re: Setting Terminal preference

Post by fredx181 »

dcung wrote:

....there must be another place to set this preferences.

It's in "Preferred Applications" (in Menu > Settings > ), "TerminalEmulator" is what terminal you choose.

2023-02-22_10-35-57.png
2023-02-22_10-35-57.png (148.05 KiB) Viewed 959 times

root@live:~# exo-open --help
Usage: exo-open [URLs...]
       exo-open --launch TYPE [PARAMETERs...]

-?, --help                          Print this help message and exit
  -V, --version                       Print version information and exit

--launch TYPE [PARAMETERs...]       Launch the preferred application of
                                      TYPE with the optional PARAMETERs, where
                                      TYPE is one of the following values.

--working-directory DIRECTORY       Default working directory for applications
                                      when using the --launch option.

The following TYPEs are supported for the --launch command:

WebBrowser       - The preferred Web Browser.
  MailReader       - The preferred Mail Reader.
  FileManager      - The preferred File Manager.
  TerminalEmulator - The preferred Terminal Emulator.
dcung

Post by dcung »

fredx181 wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 9:43 am

It's in "Preferred Applications" (in Menu > Settings > ), "TerminalEmulator" is what terminal you choose.

I did look for it in Menu > Settings >.

I just fire up my DDOG builds again from scratch -
It existed in StretchDog, BusterDog.
This does not exist in DDOG Sid, Bullseye, Bookworm (at least not in my builds).
(I don't know how to take screenshot of menu, to show non-existence. It disappears when you click MakeScreenShot)

Just my luck, I was using Bullseye/Bookworm that day.
(Since I want to change Bullseye setting at the time. I didn't like the default, since it has no cut/paste facility).

I don't think I removed any package when I did those DDOG builds.
If it exists in your DDOG Bullseye, Sid, Bookworm then I must have done something accidentally (?)

How/what should I add to have that "Preferred Applications" in menu? (Sid/Bullseye/Bookworm)
Or what's the command line and location of "Preferred Applications".

buster-scrot.png
buster-scrot.png (416.96 KiB) Viewed 922 times
fredx181

Post by fredx181 »

@dcung , it should be in every openbox/xfce4 combination (with Thunar and other xfce stuff), I'll look at it.
Command is exo-preferred-applications
EDIT: : yes, you are right, I see in Bookworm it's gone, found out that it has been moved to another package : xfce4-settings now (was exo-utils)

dcung

Post by dcung »

fredx181 wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 7:09 pm

@dcung , it should be in every openbox/xfce4 combination (with Thunar and other xfce stuff), I'll look at it.
EDIT: : yes, you are right, I see in Bookworm it's gone, found out that it has been moved to another package : xfce4-settings now (was exo-utils)

It does not exist in Bullseye, Sid, Bookworm (DDOG).
I'll remember to add xfce4-settings next time I refresh DDOG isos.

fredx181

Post by fredx181 »

dcung wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 8:30 pm
fredx181 wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 7:09 pm

It does not exist in Bullseye, Sid, Bookworm (DDOG).
I'll remember to add xfce4-settings next time I refresh DDOG isos.

The xfce4-settings package contains a bunch of other applications, but most of them do not work on the (unorthodox) openbox/xfce setup, I expect them only to work on a *full* XFCE.
Here's a self-made .deb that contains only the new "Preferred applications" GUI (but now it's called "Default Applications" in the Menu, has a mime-editor too, which is nice). It will replace xfce4-settings if installed (and vice-versa).
Should work on Bullseye, Bookworm and Sid.
I think I'll add it later to the custom repos and add "xfce4-mime-settings" to the DDog default configs.

xfce4-mime-settings_2.2.0_amd64.deb.gz
Remove fake .gz (only for the DDog DE setup)
(34.41 KiB) Downloaded 16 times
dcung

Post by dcung »

fredx181 wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 12:49 pm

The xfce4-settings package contains a bunch of other applications, but most of them do not work on the (unorthodox) openbox/xfce setup, I expect them only to work on a *full* XFCE.
Here's a self-made .deb that contains only the new "Preferred applications" GUI (but now it's called "Default Applications" in the Menu, has a mime-editor too, which is nice). It will replace xfce4-settings if installed (and vice-versa).

I installed xfce4-settings package yesterday to change default terminal on my crash/burn Bullseye DDOG and noticed the name changes too.
I just installed xfce4-mime-settings_2.2.0_amd64.deb over it, and your .deb uninstalled/replaced xfce4-settings as you said.
I also installed xfce4-mime-settings_2.2.0_amd64.deb on fresh DDOG Sid, and change default terminal works.

fredx181 wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 12:49 pm

I think I'll add it later to the custom repos and add "xfce4-mime-settings" to the DDog default configs.

I will wait until you add it to custom repo, and then refresh my DDOG iso set then. :thumbup:
Thank you.

fredx181

Post by fredx181 »

fredx181 wrote:

Done! @dcung thanks again for your support :thumbup:

dcung

Post by dcung »

dcung wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 5:44 pm

I will wait until you add it to custom repo, and then refresh my DDOG iso set then. :thumbup:

I re-made DDOG Bullseye, Bookworm isos.
Tested the result, I can set terminal preference in both. :thumbup:
I used my custom-conf (unattended).
But I also checked/verified that your default DDog conf have xfce4-mime-settings added now.

I also made same changes to mklive-sid, so I can build unattended.
In Sid case, the /etc/rc.local question still appear/pause.
After double checking and building twice. I was gonna ask you, until I saw your updated post on DebianDog Sid which looks relevant
viewtopic.php?t=824
So, I downloaded the new mklive-sid.
But with or without modifying the new script, the/etc/rc.local question still appears.
So, I thought to ask you first, as I have run mklive-sid at least 4 times.
If it works for you, then time for me to recheck again what silly mistake I made.
I didn't choose system-d. I just did what I did in Bullseye & Bookworm. But in Sid, it always pause at the same place.
Everytime it paused, I cancelled the build, deleted Sid dir, and restarted after checking, as I'd like to troubleshoot my Sid 'unattended' build.

2023-02-24-175338_819x390_scrot.png
2023-02-24-175338_819x390_scrot.png (92.17 KiB) Viewed 729 times
fredx181

Post by fredx181 »

@dcung yes, I think now at an earlier point (than before) in the build it asks for keeping /etc/rc.local
See second code here: viewtopic.php?p=81922#p81922 (that to prevent asking).
Similar needs to be done at the point where keyboard-configuration is installed: apt-get install -o Dpkg::Options::="--force-confdef" -o Dpkg::Options::="--force-confold" .... ....
So in your case, also adding DEBIAN_FRONTEND=noninteractive in front (to skip the keyboard choice), then in mklive-sid:

# configure keyboard first

if [ "$SYSTEMD" = "FALSE" ]; then
echo -e "\e[0;36mInstall keyboard-configuration and more required packages\033[0m"
DEBIAN_FRONTEND=noninteractive apt-get install -o Dpkg::Options::="--force-confdef" -o Dpkg::Options::="--force-confold" whiptail keyboard-configuration sysvinit-core elogind xz-utils cryptsetup cryptsetup-bin gnupg dirmngr apt-utils wget elogind libelogind0 libpam-elogind udev --yes
else
rm -f /etc/apt/preferences.d/00systemd
echo -e "\e[0;36mInstall keyboard-configuration and more required packages\033[0m"
DEBIAN_FRONTEND=noninteractive apt-get install -o Dpkg::Options::="--force-confdef" -o Dpkg::Options::="--force-confold" whiptail keyboard-configuration xz-utils cryptsetup cryptsetup-bin gnupg dirmngr apt-utils wget systemd systemd-sysv libpam-systemd udev --yes
fi

I'm going to make changes later and update the build scripts (when there are possibly more changes required) .

P.S. As a side note, someone may ask why use apt-get as it can be just apt, the difference is that when using apt-get, the packages remain in cache, which is handy in this case, as when doing a next build, much packages don't need to be downloaded, when using just apt, the packages are removed from cache after installing.
On the other hand, with a rolling release such as Sid, much packages are updated in time, so the cache can get huge (containing lots of old, unused packages), so you may want to remove the build directory manually at some point before starting a build (e.g. rm -fr sid).

dcung

Post by dcung »

fredx181 wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 10:01 am

@dcung yes, I think now at an earlier point (than before) in the build it asks for keeping /etc/rc.local
See second code here: viewtopic.php?p=81922#p81922 (that to prevent asking).
Similar needs to be done at the point where keyboard-configuration is installed: apt-get install -o Dpkg::Options::="--force-confdef" -o Dpkg::Options::="--force-confold"

@fredx181
Like I said - I did make those changes in 2 sections of mklive-sid.

# configure keyboard first - part

### Do the real installing - part

Same way I did in Bullseye and Bookworm.
/etc/rc.local no longer being asked in Bullseye and Bookworm, but still being asked in Sid.

I just re-download your new mklive-sid again, and made the 2 changes again. Tested again.
In fact, the new mklive-sid, you already made the change for /etc/rc.local, I only need to skip the keyboard question changes.
(Unless there are 3 places in Sid to change?)

Attached is the script I used - that still asked /etc/rc.local question.

mklive-sid-new.gz
(68.84 KiB) Downloaded 21 times
fredx181

Post by fredx181 »

@dcung Your mod doesn't have apt-get install -o Dpkg::Options::="--force-confdef" -o Dpkg::Options::="--force-confold" (that will prevent the /etc/rc.local question) on line 1134 and 1138, only the DEBIAN_FRONTEND=noninteractive , see the code in my previous post.

dcung

Re: Setting Terminal preference <SOLVED>

Post by dcung »

@fredx181 Thank you.

Last edited by dcung on Sat Feb 25, 2023 3:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Flash

Post by Flash »

@dcung, is your problem solved / question answered?

Chaos coordinator :?

Return to “DebianDogs”