Trying to understand pathways shown by 'efibootmgr' command

Moderator: Forum moderators

cata

Trying to understand pathways shown by 'efibootmgr' command

Post by cata »

Hello everybody,
maybe somebody might help me understanding the boot pathways shown by 'efibootmgr' command. I am wondering what a new pathway might have to look like, and what the "old" pathways mean.

This is the laptop I'm working with:
Apple MacBook 7,1 (from 2010)
Intel Core 2 Duo CPU P8600 @ 2,40 GHz (width 64 bits)
2 GiB System Memory
1 GiB SODIMM DDR3 Synchronous 1.067 MHz
Hard disk ATA TOSHIBA MK2555GS (250 GB)
Graphics NVIDIA Corporation MCP89 High Definition (Kernel driver in use snd_hda_intel)

As I had re-formatted the hard disk (ATA TOSHIBA MK2555GS) some time ago, I think there is no more Apple OS present on it. I had, as some of you may remember, initially done a frugal install of Fossapup64-9.5 to the hard disk drive, but as the laptop doesn't boot unless there is a USB stick inserted, I wondered if the pathways in the boot menu are wrong (and should be changed)?
Thanks to previous advice here on the forum (thanks again), I have a Fossapup64-9.5 booted on that laptop from a Frugal Install on a USB stick (Intenso 64 GB, below in the terminal named "sdb"), and am writing to you now from that system.

Here is some output about the partitions and boot pathways I got from the terminal:

Terminal_parted_-l_and_blkid_and_efibootmgr_-v.jpg
Terminal_parted_-l_and_blkid_and_efibootmgr_-v.jpg (114.49 KiB) Viewed 519 times
Terminal_blkid_and_efibootmgr_-v.jpg
Terminal_blkid_and_efibootmgr_-v.jpg (144.63 KiB) Viewed 518 times

In the "efibootmgr -v" output, the pathway Boot0000 (called "ubuntu") is the one the laptop is currently booted from, so it seems to be the USB stick. (I don't understand, however, what the numbers in parentheses in that pathway mean, because "cb7f18da-..." does not appear in the "blkid" output for sdb1.)

I guess that the pathways given for Boot0080, Boot0081, Boot0082 and BootFFFF are outdated and no longer working. However, I don't understand about these "PciRoot" things and therefore didn't dare to delete these entries.

I wonder if I should just try and create a new pathway via "efibootmgr --create"? From what I have understood until now (e.g., from https://www.happyassassin.net/posts/201 ... work-then/), the command for creating a "fallback path" should look something like this:

Code: Select all

efibootmgr --create --disk /dev/sda --part 1 --label "some_name" --loader \EFI\BOOT\BOOTx64.EFI

I shall be grateful for any hints on how to better understand the currently present pathways shown in the terminal output above, how to know which of them to keep, and/or if it seems safe to create a new pathway entry via "efibootmgr --create".
Thanks in advance,
cata

Return to “Boot”