How do I install R Language in Fossapup?

Moderator: Forum moderators

davidjackson

How do I install R Language in Fossapup?

Post by davidjackson »

Puppy Linux: fossapup64-9.5

How do I install R language on PL?
I looked on Package Manager but did not see it.

TIA,
David

mikeslr

Re: How do I install R Language

Post by mikeslr »

I don't like to leave questions unanswered. It's late now from where I'm answering. Hopefully by the time I check in tomorrow someone who knows what (s)he's doing will provide a detailed answer as much this is 'above my pay-grade' and the best I can do is make guesses based on my knowledge of Puppy and how it differs from the instructions provided for Ubuntu on the following cites:

How To Install R on Ubuntu 22.04, https://www.digitalocean.com/community/ ... untu-22-04
R programming language, installation on Ubuntu 20.04, https://ubunlog.com/en/lenguaje-de-prog ... ntu-20-04/

I'll have to review those posts, and the posts they refer to. But a preliminary examination suggests that installing the following may be necessary:

jasper's OpenSSH 9.1p1, from https://www.forum.puppylinux.com/viewto ... 463#p74463 and
mistfire's pkg2, from viewtopic.php?p=51728&sid=c2efabc608904 ... 866#p51728. pkg2 provides Puppys with an apt-like package-manager which, among other things, make it much easier to add repositories than Puppy Package Manager.

rockedge
Site Admin

Re: How do I install R Language in Fossapup?

Post by rockedge »

Pkg2 does well dealing with package dependencies and much better than PPM. Using pkg is very similar in scope to APT and in my experience does a really good job managing packages in Puppy Linux and can handle complex and intensive installations.

As mentioned one of the really big additions to Puppy Linux is pkg add-repo <Ubuntu PPA> being able to very easily add or remove a PPA and other repos to the package management system.

Originally doing this was some tricky configuration file modifications/manipulations.

My recommendation is for Fossapup64-9.5 series distro to install Pkg2 and upgrade Pkg-cli and it is built in to F96-CE OOTB.

mikeslr

Post by mikeslr »

Edit: for now ignore anything below this section. As I've gotten deeper into the weeds, the more I've come to think that if R Language is essential, you're better of (a) following the instructions to install Apt, https://www.forum.puppylinux.com/viewto ... 709#p31709: read that entire thread carefully; or (b) deploying VanillaDpup --which although not Ubuntu can be used as Ubuntu is actually a branded fork of debian. This is the VanillaDpup Section, https://www.forum.puppylinux.com/viewforum.php?f=183. Inclusion of apt is one of dimkr's objectives. Ask dimkr which version of VanillaDpup he would recommend for your project.

----Anything below this follows the above edit-- I'll be back later when I have more time.

Fossapup64-9.5 is binary compatible with Ubuntu 22.04.

I've booted into fossapup64-9.5 to better understand what you'll need to do. I thought jasper's OpenSSH 9.1p1 might be necessary as the first thing the web-sites I referred to have you do is install OpenSSH. That still might be useful. But now that I'm running fossa-9.5, I see that the openssh-client --although it's not on the menu-- seems to have been builtin [I didn't install it] and available via terminal. If not, Puppy Package Manager can install it. It can also install the OpenSSH server.

Whether OpenSSH works or not is among those things 'above my pay-grade'. IIRC, rockedge has worked with it and will hopefully stick around to answer any questions you may have about OpenSSH.

I don't recall if lxterminal was builtin or I installed it. It also is available via Puppy Package Manager. As its Toolbar offers Edit>Cut, Edit>Paste I find it much easier to use than urxvt. Menu>Setup>Default Application Chooser enables you to set your choice of terminal for most operations. [Right-Click>open in terminal doesn't follow your choice; but you can customize your Right-Click menu to specifically provide for using lxterminal].

Following the tutorials, you can ignore instructions such as logging in as Root, or to precede a command with 'sudo'. Puppys run as root. Except for that, instructions to use wget can be followed as wget is a fossapup64 builtin.

But I see that this post, https://www.digitalocean.com/community/ ... untu-22-04 although it pertains to Ubuntu 22.04 has you install applications built for Ubuntu 22.10 AKA Jammy. I'm guessing then that you're better of with that version than that which Puppy Package Manager offers, or with jasper's package.

Applying the above differences, the given instruction:
"Download the key and install it:
wget -qO- https://cloud.r-project.org/bin/linux/u ... pubkey.asc | sudo gpg --dearmor -o /usr/share/keyrings/r-project.gpg

Can be edited to read
wget -qO- https://cloud.r-project.org/bin/linux/u ... pubkey.asc | gpg --dearmor -o /usr/share/keyrings/r-project.gpg

Be back in a couple minutes.

Last edited by mikeslr on Fri Feb 10, 2023 6:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
davidjackson

Post by davidjackson »

Thanks for all the suggestions.

TX
David

mikeslr

Post by mikeslr »

only back for a couple of minutes. These posts get complicated because the tutorials don't read 'from top to bottom'. From the top you linked to something you had to do first; which post links you to something you had to do before that. :roll:

Among the main differences between Puppys and, say, Ubuntu are: Puppys run as Root but provide immediate access to a limited User, spot. Any application can be run as spot: just start that application with the phrase 'run-as-spot, e.g. run-as-spot firefox. But Puppys spot is not only a limited user without root previleges, spot also has its own folder(s) --any folder can be configured as spot-- beyond which applications run-as-spot can not obtain access. This seems to accomplish the same security provisions as the R Language achieves by having you create a limited user and Openssh into its folder. Except, by and large, while spot has a password, spot, :) it's almost never used and IIRC, is reported not to be functional. Why would it be? since you can run as /root and open a file-browser as root to any location and as root access its files or run terminal commands there.
The foregoing makes it difficult to figure out which of the tutorials instructions are essential and which are only needed to escape the box they've placed themselves in by fooling themselves that running as a limited user provides security. [Anyone capable of hacking into your system will be capable of elevating a limited user's privileges to root privileges].
And while before the break I suggested perhaps a different Puppy --one including apt-- might be useful, since then I realized that if I was really familiar with pkg-cli, it probably may not make any difference. The pkg-cli package provides two GUI's and its own terminal. So perhaps where a tutorial calls for the use of wget, pkg-cli would make that superfluous.
Moreover, there might be a stumbling block I'm not sure can be overcome. Puppys are NOT multi-user. If in R Language's employment of both an Administrative and a limited User to accomplish its objectives, the limited User exceeds spot's limited capabilities there may be no work-around.

Return to “Business”