ArchPup woof-ce January 2023 Beta 1

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects

Moderator: Forum moderators

josejp2424

ArchPup woof-ce January 2023 Beta 1

Post by josejp2424 »

ArchPup woof-ce.

arch packages.
I have been wanting to make a puppy with arch packages for a long time.
This version does not have JWM. It is just Openbox with Tint2 panel, jgmenu menu.
The iso is too big because it still has the devx on it. only it is in
ydrv_Archpup_10.1.sfs.

It brings pulseaudio, blueman,
Mplayer with Gmplayer interface,
Audacious, Yradio ,pupcontrol , Uextract , PackIt, NicOs-Utility Suite, Frugalpup, Btop and many more programs.

adrv_Archpup_10.1.sfs: Audacious, btop, frugalpup, Gcolor2, Gdmap, Geany, Gpicview, Hardinfo, isomaster, Linux firewall, lxtask, lxterminal, Mplayer, BMplayer, Mtpaint,
nicOS-Utility-Suite, PackIt, Pburn, Pclock, Pcmanfm, pdvdrsab, pmadas, pRun, pup-advert-blocker, PupControl, pupMd5sum, seamonkey, SR_v2.2, tas, trans-tray, Uextrac, weechat, xarchiver, Xlock-lock-screen, Yradio.

adrv_Archpup_10.1.sfs: compiler libraries (devx).

There is a pacman pet package with pamac available, but it is only for testing and bug fixing.
when upgrading the system there is a package that corrupts the system.

ArchPup 64 Openbox with tint2

MD5=299ec2a3a0fc32d8629a6759b6bc29fc

Download ArchPup-beta-1

packages Archpup

Delta file. if you do not want to download the complete iso.
ArchPup Delta.

pacman with paman, it is a trial version.
Upgrading corrupts the system. I have not yet looked at it thoroughly to solve the problem.
this package is not in the iso. below I leave the download in case you want to try it, and if you see the solution to the problem.

pacman-6.0.2-x86_64.pet

Last edited by josejp2424 on Mon Feb 06, 2023 1:51 pm, edited 4 times in total.
josejp2424

Re: ArchPup woof-ce January 2023 Alpha !!!!

Post by josejp2424 »

when using the screenshot menu .
the images are saved in /root/pictures/screenshot.

Amol

Post by Amol »

Hello josepjp2424 !
Great news.I'll test the beta cause i'm a newbee.
Amol

nnriyer

Post by nnriyer »

Looking forward matured Arch Pup Linux. Arch Linux with Puppy is very good combination.

josejp2424

Post by josejp2424 »

Amol wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 6:08 pm

Hello josepjp2424 !
Great news.I'll test the beta cause i'm a newbee.
Amol

try it, no matter if you are a beginner, you can learn

nnriyer wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 3:59 am

Looking forward matured Arch Pup Linux. Arch Linux with Puppy is very good combination.

yes I liked puppy with arch

Clarity

Post by Clarity »

Tried to boot this QEMU PUP in a VM ... Failure

Code: Select all

qemu-system-x86_64 -enable-kvm -m 2G -smp 2  -cdrom ArchPup-alpha-2-x86_64.iso
QEMU of ArchPUP64 distro.jpg
QEMU of ArchPUP64 distro.jpg (27.38 KiB) Viewed 2144 times

This is the first and only WoofCE PUP, tested thus far, that does not boot in a QEMU VM. Checksum of the ISO file matches that in the opening thread.

Probably something minor?

wiak

Post by wiak »

Clarity wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 1:46 am

This is the first and only WoofCE PUP, tested thus far, that does not boot in a QEMU VM. Checksum of the ISO file matches that in the opening thread.

An iso is just an archive file format of course. Neither a hard disk nor a usb stick is bootable by default; these are just storage containers. So is an iso in that sense. Maybe the iso image is just provided as a convenient package form, but doesn't include isolinux or grub or similar boot loader as part of it, or not as yet?

https://www.tinylinux.info/
DOWNLOAD wd_multi for hundreds of 'distros' at your fingertips: viewtopic.php?p=99154#p99154
Αξίζει να μεταφραστεί;

Clarity

Post by Clarity »

Yet, its advertised as a WoofCE generate.

I'm merely reported observable behavior which differs from all other WoofCE PUPs tested to date. There also is no explanation that this 'new' ISO file which differs; or is a change in all upcoming WoofCE generates.

Again, its just an FYI

josejp2424

Post by josejp2424 »

Clarity wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 1:46 am

Tried to boot this QEMU PUP in a VM ... Failure

qemu-system-x86_64 -enable-kvm -m 2G -smp 2  -cdrom ArchPup-alpha-2-x86_64.iso

QEMU of ArchPUP64 distro.jpg

if it is true what you are saying,
the remaster used created a corrupted iso.

josejp2424

Re: ArchPup woof-ce January 2023 beta !!!!

Post by josejp2424 »

the first beta is now available.
had problems with perl libraries, and sound settings.

new advr. pmusic removed. audacious 4.3 added, compiled on gtk3.
Yradio, pmixer.

The iso had boot problems with qemu reported by @Clarity , and he was right. it was corrupted.
you could say that it's fixed now.

You can download the beta iso in the first post.

https://forum.puppylinux.com/viewtopic. ... 172#p80172

josejp2424

ArchPup qemu-7.2.0

Post by josejp2424 »

qemu-7.2.0

In my case to start it I have intel.

modprobe kvm-intel

qemu-system-x86_64 -enable-kvm -m 2G -smp 2  -cdrom ArchPup-beta-1-x86_64.iso

qemu-7.2.0-x86_64.sfs

qemu-7.2.0-x86_64.pet

Clarity

Re: ArchPup woof-ce January 2023 Beta 1

Post by Clarity »

HI @josejp2424 Sorry for a delayed response. I tested your Beta1 booting in QEMU. This desktop in this PUP is very slick and smooth. All is well including its abiltity to save a session.

Have not tested on bare-metal yet, but will do.

I see you are awaiting a response from @mistfire on PPM upgrade. I will await your next beta/RC with that upgrade for the bare-metal tests for you.

Clarity

ArchPup January 2023 Beta 1 in a QEMU VM

Post by Clarity »

Host's QEMU stanza used to run an ArchPUP4 VM client to exchange information with the HOST system.

qemu-system-x86_64 -enable-kvm -m 2G -vga std -smp 2 -device AC97 -net nic -net user -rtc base=localtime -name "ArchPUP64 by JoseJP2424" -cdrom ArchPup-beta-1-x86_64.iso

If your host has its samba running sharing something, using the following command in the VM smbclient -L 10.0.2.2 will let you see the host folder so that direct file exchanges can occur. Mount the host's share in a mount-point in the ArchPUP64 VM and exchange anything in either direction to/from the host.

Example within the VM
mount //10.0.2.2/puppyshare /mnt/mount-point

Enjoy

Amol

Post by Amol »

Hello everyone !
I'm under ArchPup Beta 1 right now. It runs well.At start up at my first boot, it uses 460Mo of RAM.And now after i've cut down some elements , it uses 327Mo of RAM.It's would be great if we can obtain about 220 Mo as common puppy oses.
With the adwaita dark theme some windows doesn't take it : Rox-filer, lxappearance.
Best regards, Amol

Clarity

Post by Clarity »

Hi @Amol

Please forgive my asking, but the manufacturers spec since 15 year ago was 2GB of RAM for consumer PCs.

So I am asking merely for understanding and NOT to preempt your request:

• How would this impact performance on a 64bit PC that came with 2GB of RAM?

• Is the ArchPUP causing performance issues?

So far, OOTB, this is the fastest WoofCE PUP I have seen in all my tests so far.

rockedge
Site Admin

Post by rockedge »

Running ArchPup-beta1 in QEMU host system F96-CE ->

Screenshot(27).jpg
Screenshot(27).jpg (62.06 KiB) Viewed 1613 times
josejp2424

Post by josejp2424 »

Amol wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 7:42 pm

Hello everyone !
I'm under ArchPup Beta 1 right now. It runs well.At start up at my first boot, it uses 460Mo of RAM.And now after i've cut down some elements , it uses 327Mo of RAM.It's would be great if we can obtain about 220 Mo as common puppy oses.
With the adwaita dark theme some windows doesn't take it : Rox-filer, lxappearance.
Best regards, Amol

hi @Amol
you could remove some programs that start with the system.
that would lower the consumption in mb

Amol

Post by Amol »

Hello Clarity !
I just want to obtain the minimum ram consumption possible at start up, just by curiosity.
@josejp24: i don't see where to uninstall some programs for example: seamonkey, gda control center, YRadio.
Again it's a very good OS with a beautiful look and feel.
Best regards,
Amol

josejp2424

Post by josejp2424 »

Amol wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 2:16 am

Hello Clarity !
I just want to obtain the minimum ram consumption possible at start up, just by curiosity.
@josejp24: i don't see where to uninstall some programs for example: seamonkey, gda control center, YRadio.
Again it's a very good OS with a beautiful look and feel.
Best regards,
Amol

Hi @Amol .

The programs you want to delete are in the advr.
You will have to unzip the advr with Uextrac .
Manually delete the desired programs.
Use Packit to create the new sfs.

wiak

Post by wiak »

josejp2424 wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 12:44 am

Upgrading corrupts the system. I have not yet looked at it thoroughly to solve the problem.

Though I haven't tried your distro yet, I imagine the corruption you refer to if you install pacman and use it to upgrade will be systemd-related config scripts over-writing puppy init scripts. @rockedge knows of these issues from using an apt/dpkg addon I made for old Fossapup a couple of years ago (yes, different package manager, different upstream distro, but similar issues inevitable); he should therefore know basically how to easily fix the corruption such that pacman remains very useful. In reality, with pacman, the best solution will be to use "Ignore" package installations that cause underlying puppy system file corruption (i.e. in pacman.conf), but simple take backup, replace backup script can also be used to restore the Puppy over-written by pacman packages.

Arch-based is a good choice for Puppy since it's packages are nicely split and efficient, so likely to use less RAM and be more speedy than Ubuntu or Debian-based Pups I expect. Similar in fact to Void-base in terms of speed/efficiency/RAM-usage. Only issue is the headache keeping it current since Arch is very much a rolling release, which is why reliable package management is essential here.

You do need to get the distro size down of course. I've been using Arch-based distro as my main desktop for over two years till recently (and miss it, since it is my favourite). It is also no accident that EndeavourOS (my 11 yr old son's favourite OS) sits in longtime second place at Distrowatch; a great Arch-based/fully-compatible distribution, which is frankly difficult to compete with - size is certainly key here as well as the save on demand Pupmode 13 type facility.

https://www.tinylinux.info/
DOWNLOAD wd_multi for hundreds of 'distros' at your fingertips: viewtopic.php?p=99154#p99154
Αξίζει να μεταφραστεί;

amethyst

Post by amethyst »

The iso is too big because it still has the devx on it. only it is in ydrv_Archpup_10.1.sfs

Just a mention. I see it's also uploaded to archive.org so the individual files in the iso can be downloaded (so don't have to download the ydrv) - https://ia601601.us.archive.org/view_ar ... x86_64.iso

rockedge
Site Admin

Post by rockedge »

I will take a look since it might be the same scenario as @wiak describes. I just updated/upgraded the Fossapup64 that is running with the APT SFS add on. This system has now run well since circa 2019.

During some system upgrades with APT the systemd components are updated and this is what will corrupt the Fossapup64's ability to reboot or shutdown. Turned out the reason and fix are simple.

In the case of the Ubuntu APT being adapted to run on Puppy Linux this is what will "fix" the Puppy Linux system again and bring it make in full running order and now with the updates/upgrades completed and in place.

What happens is systemd replaces 3 components from the Fossapup64 system in /sbin so I made backup copies of the effected script and symlinks.

First thing I did was duplicate and create these:
/sbin/init duplicated as /sbin/init-puppy
/sbin/poweroff duplicated as /sbin/poweroff-puppy
/sbin/reboot duplicated as /sbin/reboot-puppy

Then if I notice that during an apt update && apt upgrade job that systemd has been involved then I have these extremely simple scripts that automate replacing the pieces.

This is for returning it to Puppy Linux friendly:

restore_puppy_boot.sh

#!/bin/sh
rm /sbin/init
cp /sbin/init-puppy /sbin/init

rm /sbin/poweroff
cp /sbin/poweroff-puppy /sbin/poweroff

rm /sbin/reboot
ln -s /sbin/poweroff /sbin/reboot
gxmessage Set for Puppy Poweroff -font 16 -center -timeout 4

this one is in case that an APT upgrade requires those systemd components to be in place:

set_systemd_for_upgrade.sh

#!/bin/sh
rm /sbin/init
cp /sbin/init-systemd /sbin/init

rm /sbin/poweroff
cp /sbin/poweroff-systemd /sbin/poweroff

rm /sbin/reboot
cp /sbin/rebooy-systemd /sbin/reboot

As one can see none of this is slick and proffesional and there is much room for improvement. This might not be exactly the same in ArchPup but my guess is that it is a similar conflict and a Puppy Linux specific piece in /sbin is being replaced by an Arch specific component. :shock:

Note: I unsquashed the root_fs and placed these copies and little scripts into it and squashed it again.

josejp2424

Post by josejp2424 »

wiak wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 11:23 am

Though I haven't tried your distro yet, I imagine the corruption you refer to if you install pacman and use it to upgrade will be systemd-related config scripts over-writing puppy init scripts. @rockedge knows of these issues from using an apt/dpkg addon I made for old Fossapup a couple of years ago (yes, different package manager, different upstream distro, but similar issues inevitable); he should therefore know basically how to easily fix the corruption such that pacman remains very useful. In reality, with pacman, the best solution will be to use "Ignore" package installations that cause underlying puppy system file corruption (i.e. in pacman.conf), but simple take backup, replace backup script can also be used to restore the Puppy over-written by pacman packages.

Arch-based is a good choice for Puppy since it's packages are nicely split and efficient, so likely to use less RAM and be more speedy than Ubuntu or Debian-based Pups I expect. Similar in fact to Void-base in terms of speed/efficiency/RAM-usage. Only issue is the headache keeping it current since Arch is very much a rolling release, which is why reliable package management is essential here.

You do need to get the distro size down of course. I've been using Arch-based distro as my main desktop for over two years till recently (and miss it, since it is my favourite). It is also no accident that EndeavourOS (my 11 yr old son's favourite OS) sits in longtime second place at Distrowatch; a great Arch-based/fully-compatible distribution, which is frankly difficult to compete with - size is certainly key here as well as the save on demand Pupmode 13 type facility.

if the update corrupts the system. but I think I have found the problem.

josejp2424

Post by josejp2424 »

rockedge wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 1:37 pm

I will take a look since it might be the same scenario as @wiak describes. I just updated/upgraded the Fossapup64 that is running with the APT SFS add on. This system has now run well since circa 2019.

During some system upgrades with APT the systemd components are updated and this is what will corrupt the Fossapup64's ability to reboot or shutdown. Turned out the reason and fix are simple.

In the case of the Ubuntu APT being adapted to run on Puppy Linux this is what will "fix" the Puppy Linux system again and bring it make in full running order and now with the updates/upgrades completed and in place.

What happens is systemd replaces 3 components from the Fossapup64 system in /sbin so I made backup copies of the effected script and symlinks.

First thing I did was duplicate and create these:
/sbin/init duplicated as /sbin/init-puppy
/sbin/poweroff duplicated as /sbin/poweroff-puppy
/sbin/reboot duplicated as /sbin/reboot-puppy

Then if I notice that during an apt update && apt upgrade job that systemd has been involved then I have these extremely simple scripts that automate replacing the pieces.

This is for returning it to Puppy Linux friendly:

restore_puppy_boot.sh

#!/bin/sh
rm /sbin/init
cp /sbin/init-puppy /sbin/init

rm /sbin/poweroff
cp /sbin/poweroff-puppy /sbin/poweroff

rm /sbin/reboot
ln -s /sbin/poweroff /sbin/reboot
gxmessage Set for Puppy Poweroff -font 16 -center -timeout 4

this one is in case that an APT upgrade requires those systemd components to be in place:

set_systemd_for_upgrade.sh

#!/bin/sh
rm /sbin/init
cp /sbin/init-systemd /sbin/init

rm /sbin/poweroff
cp /sbin/poweroff-systemd /sbin/poweroff

rm /sbin/reboot
cp /sbin/rebooy-systemd /sbin/reboot

As one can see none of this is slick and proffesional and there is much room for improvement. This might not be exactly the same in ArchPup but my guess is that it is a similar conflict and a Puppy Linux specific piece in /sbin is being replaced by an Arch specific component. :shock:

Note: I unsquashed the root_fs and placed these copies and little scripts into it and squashed it again.

hi @rockedge .
The problem is also dbus as it uses systemd. as far as I can see in my case.
I tried compiling dbus without systemd and it improved the system a lot.

Sofiya

Post by Sofiya »

Hello@ josepjp2424

What kernel are you using here ?

Vanilla Dpup 9.2.X - KLV-Airedale - KLA-OT2
PUPPY LINUX Simple fast free

josejp2424

Post by josejp2424 »

Sofiya wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 7:10 pm

Hello@ josepjp2424

What kernel are you using here ?

5.4.212 @Sofiya

bigpup

Post by bigpup »

Will not boot to desktop. Stops at starting X server.

ArchPup-beta-1-x86_64.iso

Computer specs:
Desktop
Intel i7-9700 CPU
Nvidia GeForce RTX 2060 graphics hardware
32GB RAM

Stickpup installer used to install to a USB stick.

It boots OK until it gets to point of starting X server.

Stops at a input prompt.

I get the normal messages about using xwin or using xorgwizard.

Xwin does nothing.

xorgwizard should work, but it to does not run.
All it does is give me a new prompt.

Note:
For some reason S15Pup did this same thing, but xorgwizard worked in it.
Running xorgwizard and setting up graphics settings, got me to a working desktop.

F96-CE boots normally to a working desktop.
Also many other Puppy versions.

Forum Global Moderator
The things you do not tell us, are usually the clue to fixing the problem.
When I was a kid, I wanted to be older.
This is not what I expected :o

josejp2424

Post by josejp2424 »

bigpup wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 12:34 pm

Will not boot to desktop. Stops at starting X server.

ArchPup-beta-1-x86_64.iso

Computer specs:
Desktop
Intel i7-9700 CPU
Nvidia GeForce RTX 2060 graphics hardware
32GB RAM

Stickpup installer used to install to a USB stick.

It boots OK until it gets to point of starting X server.

Stops at a input prompt.

I get the normal messages about using xwin or using xorgwizard.

Xwin does nothing.

xorgwizard should work, but it to does not run.
All it does is give me a new prompt.

Note:
For some reason S15Pup did this same thing, but xorgwizard worked in it.
Running xorgwizard and setting up graphics settings, got me to a working desktop.

F96-CE boots normally to a working desktop.
Also many other Puppy versions.

I see that xorgwizard does nothing in X.
and if there are problems with some nvidia cards, that must be the problem.

yuki

Post by yuki »

ArchPup woof-ce.

arch packages.
I have been wanting to make a puppy with arch packages for a long time.
This version does not have JWM. It is just Openbox with Tint2 panel, jgmenu menu.
The iso is too big because it still has the devx on it. only it is in
ydrv_Archpup_10.1.sfs.

It brings pulseaudio, blueman,
Mplayer with Gmplayer interface,
Audacious, Yradio ,pupcontrol , Uextract , PackIt, NicOs-Utility Suite, Frugalpup, Btop and many more programs.

adrv_Archpup_10.1.sfs: Audacious, btop, frugalpup, Gcolor2, Gdmap, Geany, Gpicview, Hardinfo, isomaster, Linux firewall, lxtask, lxterminal, Mplayer, BMplayer, Mtpaint,
nicOS-Utility-Suite, PackIt, Pburn, Pclock, Pcmanfm, pdvdrsab, pmadas, pRun, pup-advert-blocker, PupControl, pupMd5sum, seamonkey, SR_v2.2, tas, trans-tray, Uextrac, weechat, xarchiver, Xlock-lock-screen, Yradio.

adrv_Archpup_10.1.sfs: compiler libraries (devx).

There is a pacman pet package with pamac available, but it is only for testing and bug fixing.
when upgrading the system there is a package that corrupts the system.

ArchPup 64 Openbox with tint2

MD5=299ec2a3a0fc32d8629a6759b6bc29fc

Download ArchPup-beta-1

packages Archpup

Delta file. if you do not want to download the complete iso.
ArchPup Delta.

this package is not in the iso. below I leave the download in case you want to try it, and if you see the solution to the problem.

pacman-6.0.2-x86_64.pet

Hi, josejp2424, I tried to test this distro, but unfortunately I don't have access to the ethernet cable and I can only connect via WiFi, but the network wizard tool, which is the one I always use for configuration, doesn't work, and the other 2 tools [simple network setup and frisbee] don't detect my WiFi card [it's USB].

Do you know why this tool doesn't work, any advice you can give me?

PS: I have 3 USB WiFi cards and none of them detect it [Encore ENUWI-G2, Aitlink N150 and Mercusys N150].

stevie pup

Post by stevie pup »

@josejp2424

Is there likely to be any further development with ArchPup? Things seem to have gone very quiet since February.

I gave it a spin a month or so ago but had couple of problems with it. One issue was that when I tried to install some additional software the package manager (and everything else) froze up completely. Going to have another go in the next week or two, see if same thing happens again.

Having used Manjaro in the past I was quite interested in an Arch based Puppy.

Thanks

Return to “Puppy Projects”