activating swap on Fossapup

Moderators: 666philb, Forum moderators

rkonrad

activating swap on Fossapup

Post by rkonrad »

Hi, I'm returning to puppy linux after a very long time. It's so refreshing to see and remember how fast it is! I am having trouble getting the swap file to work. When my system boots up I get the message "loading swap.....failed". So far, the details are - swap size 8g - and the partition for the swap and save file is formatted with the brfs file system. Hope you can help. Thanks in advance!

Richard

mikewalsh

Re: activating swap on Fossapup

Post by mikewalsh »

@rkonrad :- Hello.....and :welcome: back again.

Ya, long time indeed..! December 2014; seems you left us just a few short months after I myself joined the community.

So.....o-kay. Just out of curiosity, what made you go with BTRFS? I didn't think it was possible to designate the format choice for the swap as anything OTHER than 'linux-swap'.....

--------------------------------------------------------

Coupla ways you can approach this. I myself simply fire-up gParted, right-click on the swap partition, then just toggle 'Swapon' or 'Swapoff' as appropriate. Or you could do it from the terminal:-

Code: Select all

swapon -a

.....appears to be the usual command for this, but that presupposes Puppy has written your swap partition to /etc/fstab.....which is the old, traditional way of doing this stuff. My present Pup HAS /etc/fstab, but there's no mention of any of my 3 swap partitions within, so.....I wouldn't like to say on that one.

Where Puppy doesn't auto-detect my swap partitions - rare with modern Pups, but used to be quite common with older ones - I just mount them at boot with a wee 'mount' script in /etc/init.d. Works for me.

Mike. ;)

Puppy "stuff" ~ MORE Puppy "stuff" ~ ....and MORE! :D

bigpup

Post by bigpup »

Does the save file seem to be working OK?
Is it a save file or a save folder?

What exactly is the swap file named?

swap size 8g - and the partition for the swap and save file is formatted with the brfs file system.

I assume you used btrfs format. I have no idea what brfs format is.

Use a more standard format for the location of the swap file.

Fossapup64 does not have much support for the btrfs format.

You could add the needed software for it, but not sure what that will give you.

Screenshot.jpg
Screenshot.jpg (51.3 KiB) Viewed 776 times

I downladed the btrfs-progs using Puppy Package Manager(PPM) and installed.
That seemed to add a lot of support.

Screenshot(1).jpg
Screenshot(1).jpg (51.29 KiB) Viewed 774 times

Forum Global Moderator
The things you do not tell us, are usually the clue to fixing the problem.
When I was a kid, I wanted to be older.
This is not what I expected :o

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

bigpup wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 7:58 am

I assume you used btrfs format. I have no idea what brfs format is.

Seems it stands for "B-tree file-system". Originally developed by Sun Microsystems, and finally declared 'stable-for-use' and included in the Linux kernel since 2013:-

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Btrfs

???????

I'm STILL none the wiser.... :roll: :lol: :shock: A file-system's a file-system, as far as I'm concerned. So long as it lets me do what I want - and doesn't self-destruct, or destroy my data in the process - I could care less what it actually IS (or how it works).....or what makes it "special" compared to other file-systems. I really couldn't give a monkey's....but it's there, it's available, and if folks want to try it out and/or use it, they're perfectly at liberty to do so.

I'll stick with Ext3. It's worked flawlessly for me for nearly a decade, so.....

(*shrug*)

Mike. ;)

Puppy "stuff" ~ MORE Puppy "stuff" ~ ....and MORE! :D

Return to “Fossapup64”