01micko.com EOL

Moderator: Forum moderators

01micko

01micko.com EOL

Post by 01micko »

Sorry all, but my hosting is going EOL. There are a number of factors which I won't bore you with but it's going, that's it.

I've informed @zigbert who hosts pmusic stuff there with enough time for him to make arrangements.

Old slacko and raspup stuff will be going down with it. Save the pages if you want.

---

As for me, well life is fine enough at the moment. We've had our share of family tragedy which a select few here know about.

My time for Puppy Linux development isn't a priority for me for the last year or so. I still keep my hand in with github but I have grown a bit bored with the whole rox/jwm thing and have been veering off into the great unknown that is wayland, a bit more so than @dimkr :lol:

There is nothing really ready for consumption as there are so many changes that normal puppy users would probably find revolting, but I can share a screencap of what I've been up to.

slakko.png
slakko.png (173.3 KiB) Viewed 1535 times

Trying to keep it familiar but Wayland is a lot different to Xorg, so baby steps.

Development is slow because I am now a supervisor at my construction job and that eats my time. Yeah, money is OK but what is money anyway compared to life? Have to live I guess. Finding the balance is key and I'm getting there. :thumbup2:

I don't even know if I'll release anything mainly because I'm a believer that if it's not fully baked you can't eat it! (Probably why slacko-8 never eventuated). Maybe an alpha one day - don't hold your breath!

Have fun everyone and remember, what Tronkel said. "Life is too short to spend in front of a computer." (Some of the old schoolers will remember that; maybe even still the on the old forum).

Peace everyone.

dimkr

Re: 01micko.com EOL

Post by dimkr »

01micko wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 11:06 am

I have grown a bit bored with the whole rox/jwm thing and have been veering off into the great unknown that is wayland, a bit more so than @dimkr :lol:

I can relate to that, but the last part of this sentence will hopefully be false soon :lol:

BarryK

Post by BarryK »

Mick,
Thanks for filling us in, outlining what is happening in your life.

Yes, I also wonder about how much time I'm sitting in front of the computer. Really want to get out there more, explore the world.

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

Sorry to hear that, Mick, but thanks for the update, and for informing the community what's happening with you & yours.

It's appreciated. Cheers, mate.

Mike. ;)

Puppy "stuff" ~ MORE Puppy "stuff" ~ ....and MORE! :D

stemsee

Post by stemsee »

I still keep my hand in with github but I have grown a bit bored with the whole rox/jwm thing and have been veering off into the great unknown that is wayland, a bit more so than @dimkr :lol:

Yess......wayland and pipewire are surely the way to go!

Have fun everyone and remember, what Tronkel said. "Life is too short to spend in front of a computer."
Peace everyone.

True, unless like me, you live in a camper van and park on mountains and beaches, or by lakes and rivered woodland....then sitting in front of a computer in front of a spectacular landscape is at least understandable! :D

amethyst

Post by amethyst »

True, unless like me, you live in a camper van and park on mountains and beaches, or by lakes and rivered woodland.

Lovely..why are you so grumpy at times?

stemsee

Post by stemsee »

amethyst wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 5:38 pm

True, unless like me, you live in a camper van and park on mountains and beaches, or by lakes and rivered woodland.

Lovely..why are you so grumpy at times?

..... a bit off topic!

bigpup

Post by bigpup »

Sorry to hear this :cry:

Hope all stays well with you!

Thanks for all you have done and hope you continue to do, with Puppy Linux :!:

Sure hope you stay doing something in Puppy Linux!

Sorry, but I think this needs to be asked.

You as the designated Puppy Master and the one that I think still has the legal control of the legal stuff with Puppy Linux.
Does this still apply to you or is someone else going to now be the Puppy Master?

Forum Global Moderator
The things you do not tell us, are usually the clue to fixing the problem.
When I was a kid, I wanted to be older.
This is not what I expected :o

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

Well, yeah. Bigpup's got a point, I guess.

Barry doesn't want the job any more (after all those early years "in charge", I can understand it). He is, after all, the one who gave it to Micko!

Dimkr certainly doesn't want it. Erik's got his hands full as it is. Wiak....can't see it, somehow. Fred's busy, busy, busy.....and Phil B has gone AWOL.

Whoever takes this on, for a start I think they will NEED an a/c at Github. But I don't see an obvious candidate for the job...

We COULD be ever so slightly "screwed". Personally, I don't see the need for a "Big Chief", but I guess some of you like the certainty of an overall head for the project, one who arranges all the legal crap, pays any necessary bills, etc., and basically carries the can if, as & when any crap starts flying. AND takes overall "responsibility" for everything.

Trouble is, it's the only 'structure' our modern society seems to understand. The public 'face' of any organisation who has to deal with any s**t, as & when....because it's what everybody else has come to expect.

(*shrug*)

Mike. :|

rockedge
Site Admin

Post by rockedge »

We just need the keys and once I have a few more credentials I will have consolidated maintaining most of the Puppy Linux world 🌎

So at least we have an officer on the bridge.

stemsee

Post by stemsee »

I understand that micko'S personal website was EOL, and that he would still be at the helm of woof-ce! Or .... ?

bigpup

Post by bigpup »

raspup stuff will be going down with it. Save the pages if you want.

I added what I think is needed to this topic:

Raspup downloads and release information
https://forum.puppylinux.com/viewtopic.php?t=1302

So the download link and release info from the 01micko.com is now on this forum.

Forum Global Moderator
The things you do not tell us, are usually the clue to fixing the problem.
When I was a kid, I wanted to be older.
This is not what I expected :o

dimkr

Post by dimkr »

@mikewalsh I don't know if Puppy needs more "managers", but it definitely needs more working hands. The number of people willing to do the work is definitely decreasing.

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

@dimkr :-

dimkr wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 9:34 pm

@mikewalsh I don't know if Puppy needs more "managers", but it definitely needs more working hands. The number of people willing to do the work is definitely decreasing.

Dima, unfortunately I have to agree with you. If I was in any position to help out I would, believe me.....but I neither have the time nowadays, nor has that area ever been my field of interest. Sorry an' all that.... :oops:

I just don't have the required "single-mindedness", I guess.....and my coding skills are best described as "basic", anyway. I'll stick to my software packaging, I think; my coding is - just about! - adequate for that, at least. :roll:

wiak

Post by wiak »

mikewalsh wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 9:49 pm

@dimkr :-

dimkr wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 9:34 pm

Dima, unfortunately I have to agree with you. If I was in any position to help out I would, believe me.....but I neither have the time nowadays, nor has that area ever been my field of interest. Sorry an' all that.... :oops:

I just don't have the required "single-mindedness", I guess.....and my coding skills are best described as "basic", anyway. I'll stick to my software packaging, I think; my coding is - just about! - adequate for that, at least. :roll:

First and foremost, Puppy Linux needs more users, and thus more encouragement and support for any and all prospective users. Developers are in short supply, certainly, but developers can come and go, as they do from time to time, but if no users were left of what importance is the developer? https://forum.puppylinux.com/viewtopic. ... 041#p79041

https://www.tinylinux.info/
DOWNLOAD wd_multi for hundreds of 'distros' at your fingertips: viewtopic.php?p=99154#p99154
Αξίζει να μεταφραστεί;

peebee

Post by peebee »

My time for Puppy Linux development isn't a priority for me for the last year or so.

Thanks @01micko for all you've done for "Puppy" in the past - it's greatly appreciated by everyone in the "community" I'm sure - I know for certain that my builds stand squarely on the shoulders of you pointing the way! We'll miss your active involvement just like we missed Barry's when he "retired". We'll all be equally pleased to see whatever future involvement "life" allows you.
Cheers!
Peter

Builder of LxPups, SPups, UPup32s, VoidPups; LXDE, LXQt, Xfce addons; Chromium, Firefox etc. sfs; & Kernels

rockedge
Site Admin

Post by rockedge »

@01micko I agree with peebee's statements. You have brought the Puppy Linux world forward for a long time and your legacy will be engraved for ever in the genealogy of Puppy Linux itself.

ozsouth

Post by ozsouth »

@01micko - You stepped up in those uncertain days after Barry stepped down, & your early Slackos were such a major part of Puppy's continuance.
After a 10 year tour of duty, enjoy yourself & hopefully have time for your music. Thankyou for all you did (& letting me hack some of your software).

jrb

Post by jrb »

With all these eulogies its beginning to sound like a wake.

(Dare I say it?)There's way more to life than Puppy. Sounds like you've got your head on straight, go for it.

So long, thanks for all the fish, enjoy.

Cheers and thanks, J

dogcat

Post by dogcat »

stemsee wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 8:33 pm

I understand that micko'S personal website was EOL, and that he would still be at the helm of woof-ce! Or .... ?

That is how I understand it, a courtesy post before his personal website expires. There is much fiction, drama, hopes and dreams in some of the replies.

μακάριοι οἱ δεδιωγμένοι ἕνεκεν δικαιοσύνης, ὅτι αὐτῶν ἐστιν ἡ βασιλεία τῶν οὐρανῶν.

rockedge
Site Admin

Post by rockedge »

Should continue on as before in the background so only a few things to preserve. :thumbup:

stemsee

Post by stemsee »

dogcat wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 3:40 pm

That is how I understand it, a courtesy post before his personal website expires. There is much fiction, drama, hopes and dreams in some of the replies.

nothing wrong with that!! Helps to encourage momentum .... " change is the only constant!"

Personally I feel the need to learn 'C' and 'regex' in order to be on the right level. Everything is written in 'C' .... python, java, GO, bash, gtkdialog, the kernel etc. Until it is learnt I feel that no really meaningful contribution can be made.

dimkr

Post by dimkr »

@stemsee bash itself is implemented in C but that doesn't mean you need to know C to fix bugs in a shell script, or write a new one. For example, this bug in setup-spot will be fixed by this bunch of fixes. No new C code involved.

stemsee

Post by stemsee »

dimkr wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 9:20 pm

@stemsee bash itself is implemented in C but that doesn't mean you need to know C to fix bugs in a shell script, or write a new one. For example, this bug in setup-spot will be fixed by this bunch of fixes. No new C code involved.

I'm just trying out gitpod woof-ce build of ubuntu .... it's very straightforward, but mostly because I am familiar, or used to be, with build steps '0setup ...' and navigating dirs in term.

Code: Select all

diff -rBNu src.orig/java/org/apache/nutch/analysis/NutchAnalysisConstants.java src/java/org/apache/nutch/analysis/NutchAnalysisConstants.java
--- src.orig/java/org/apache/nutch/analysis/NutchAnalysisConstants.java 2009-03-10 11:34:01.000000000 -0700
+++ src/java/org/apache/nutch/analysis/NutchAnalysisConstants.java  2009-03-10 14:11:55.000000000 -0700
@@ -4,9 +4,12 @@

+  int CJK = 21;
+  int DIGIT = 22;

int DEFAULT = 0;

String[] tokenImage = {
     "<EOF>",
+    "\"OR\"",
     "<WORD>",
     "<ACRONYM>",
     "<SIGRAM>",
@@ -39,6 +42,8 @@
     "\"\\\"\"",
     "\":\"",
     "\"/\"",
+    "\"(\"",
+    "\")\"",
     "\".\"",
     "\"@\"",
     "\"\\\'\"",

this is another difficult lesson i've yet to learn!!!

stemsee

Post by stemsee »

@dmkr
on gitpod 3builddistro and 3builddistro-Z refuse to play unlesss root! added sudo and fired up ... but could not mount/unmount something without superuser or super root or whatever, so refused to compile rox and could not complete build on gitpod!
cheers!

BarryK

Post by BarryK »

stemsee wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 7:57 pm
dogcat wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 3:40 pm

nothing wrong with that!! Helps to encourage momentum .... " change is the only constant!"

Personally I feel the need to learn 'C' and 'regex' in order to be on the right level. Everything is written in 'C' .... python, java, GO, bash, gtkdialog, the kernel etc. Until it is learnt I feel that no really meaningful contribution can be made.

On the subject of learning C, or shell scripting, or whatever, I recently discovered this site, heaps of free programming ebooks:

https://freecomputerbooks.com/

I have downloaded some C and Rust books.

Looks like great choices under the shell scripting category:

https://freecomputerbooks.com/unixShell ... Books.html

lobster

Post by lobster »

:thumbup:

Glad everyone is alive and finding their placement :mrgreen:

Since I drifted quietly back into the sea my news for those wondering, wandering and remembering:
-been nursing one family member who died towards the end of last year with dementia
-been using Puppy on one machine all the rest other Linux
-been practicing Buddhist meditation, yoga, Tai Chi to stay reasonably sane

Lately been using Mastodon and the Fediverse as a non centralized (uses hundreds of privately admined servers)
social media/microblog outlet
https://fedi.tips/mastodon-and-the-fedi ... tart-here/

you can probably find me using the instance (server) universeodon.com using the name Lobstered or Lobster
and of course I use my puppy linux avatar

it is a pretty wild place, loads of top notch developers, crazy crustaceans and all manner of weirdos - a perfect fit for everyone :)
... even free alternatives to instagram and youtube storage

might find you there some time :D

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

Nice to see ya back, @lobster ..!

:welcome:

Don't make it a "one-off".....please.

Mike. :)

rockedge
Site Admin

Post by rockedge »

@lobster Great to hear from you shiny crustacean :thumbup:

01micko

Post by 01micko »

Hello Ed (@lobster ). If only Tronkel (aka Jack Saunders) would make an appearance! And other old schoolers.

Well if nothing else, this post had some pulling power :lol:

Thanks everyone for your concerns and stuff but I'm fine enough even though I have limited time to spend on extra curricular activities. This post was mainly to announce the end of my hosting due to my lack of interest really and other financial priorities. I'm still around, just not that active.

As for "Puppy Master" - that term has never sat well with me. I don't think we need a "master". I'm actually a jack of all trades and master of none (well except for my current job).

As @peebee and the rest of the community has proven, there is no need of a "master", just will and drive to create a release to keep Puppy alive.

As @dimkr alluded to; we need some doers; Puppy is a do-ocracy after all. I can't say I haven't done at least a little bit to advance Puppy Linux. And still am in a more limited capacity.

I do like pushing the envelope. This wayland stuff I've been working on still runs fine on an old core2 duo circa 2007. I've also been working with upstream developers of said wayland stuff to improve the desktop experience. X (xorg) is going to die one day as is GTK2; might be a while off yet, but ground work is better off done now, rather than when they do die.

Jump in and enjoy the Puppy Linux ride folks!

Return to “Announcements”