01micko.com EOL

Moderator: Forum moderators

bigpup

Re: 01micko.com EOL

Post by bigpup »

Really should have the actual Puppy version ISO's on ibiblio.org
Also the Puppy version devx, kernel sources, and any other actual files or program packages specific to the Puppy version.

Forum Global Moderator
The things you do not tell us, are usually the clue to fixing the problem.
When I was a kid, I wanted to be older.
This is not what I expected :o

bert07

Post by bert07 »

I've been reading this post with interest, but also with fear.
Perhaps I am way too sensitive for how words or written (or spoken), but I have the feeling that this threat gains some heat. which I really do not like.
I assume things are said because they needed to be said at some point.

I won't interfere in this discussion.

So, the community needs more active members. I apologize but I am not qualified to help the community and/or the developers. I can not code, can not develop, cannot write scripts and my fading direct memory holds me back from learning to do so.

What I CAN do is post about bugs I may have found (by accident) but that really is all I can do to help you guys along.

About the downloads of distro's: I really would like another system for downloading the latest releases.
Peebee does a good thing with is "Links to Peebee's Projects" and it simplifies downloading of the latest releases of his latest builds. Only... it is not really at the complete right place.
Oh yes: It needs to be in the "Anouncement" section for sure, but I would prefer it to be a sticky note without any discussion possible. Just a clean anouncement threat with the direct links to the new releases.
And that for every Puppy that is released (official or not). After all: it is the "Anouncement" section.

Also I feel that some threats really should not be in the "Anouncement" section.
When you feel my latest remark is not correct, you can solve this like this:
Sub: Anouncements > Sticky: Releases (No discussion threat) > Sticky(s) : All releases you can think of with a direct download link (wherever the builder decides to put his builds) and again: NO DISCUSSION THREATS.
that should make it easier to find the latest releases of what kind of Puppy and/or Dog you are looking for.

Graphical looking something like this:

Screenshot.png
Screenshot.png (10.58 KiB) Viewed 937 times

This would help a lot.
(The Puppy's mentioned are just an example.)

Main: Debian + Mageia + Windows 10 on a AMD Ryzen 7 machine.

bert07

Post by bert07 »

I made a new graphical example which extends the former one.

Screenshot.png
Screenshot.png (32.75 KiB) Viewed 923 times

Again: the Puppy's mentioned are just an example;)

bert07

Post by bert07 »

Again: adjusted it a little.
Also mentioned that the release threat should not allow discussions. (Almost) every release has it's own threat for that and should not be in the Announcements > Releases threat. A discussion is NOT an announcement!

Attachments
Screenshot.png
Screenshot.png (36.88 KiB) Viewed 912 times

williwaw

Post by williwaw »

would it be better to have a "Releases" entry at the top in the General Information section? with a short description and a link to the forum topic?

bert07

Post by bert07 »

Announcements:
I think all you guys that want to keep Puppy's alive and also work hard to do so, think about how you yourself use this thread.
01micko.com EOL had the right to be on this Announcemens sub, because that's what it was: an announcement.
The messages out of sympathy were also at it's place but that changed when someone started to mention the Puppy Master...
From then on this discussion should have been made in another (new) threat.
i know: I am also to blame; I reacted on this thread.

But you want to make changes, make the forum more user friendly. tell me guys: how are people to find this discussion as we are having this discussion as we are having this discussion in an announcement thread. How are people getting to find this discussion with no correct thread name?
you strive for making the forum more accessible, but yet here we are, how can people find this discussion?

You want to make the Puppy Forum more accessible, than you need to make changes in the logical structure of the forum. Not only that: you need to follow those structures yourself.

On this thread (including myself) I mostly read something as: I cannot do that, I have no time for that, I'm to busy with other stuff, i want to live...
I understand that. That is completely normal.
But if you yourself are part of making the forum more difficult to walk through, than you can wish for a more accessible forum whilst destroying the structure left yourself.
Anyway: this does not help.

You do not see me online that much, but that does not mean I do not read the posts here. And lately I have read many post about renewing things, make it all more accessible.
What you really need is structure and moderators who guard that structure with eagle eyes.
And that structure should be very logical. At this point I have to admit that logics might be different for everyone (grin).
Also I find that Puppy on ibiblio.org is not at all so logical. If one is surging for jammypup or focalpup, you can look for it till you die from starvation, because it just is not there. No, you have to look for a upup. It took me almost 2 years to figure that one out.
If you want structure, you also need clarity and again: logic. I heard (read) people say on this thread that anybody can download everything at ibiblio.org, but that just is not true. how can you find a file that you rename different than on the website? If it's a focal name the file focal and not upup something, as you still do with all the Ubuntu Puppy's. It surely is not user friendly!

What the community needs to survive, is: structure, logic.
ONLY THEN can (new) people find their way to and in the forum and will you get more active people.

if you want: I can make a drawing of a completely logical structure for the complete forum, but that'll take a while a much paper (grin). I'll have to read almost the complete forum for that and see what is good and what is wrong (or not good enough).

if I should make such a graphical structure (sort of as above), changing the structure alone does not help: you need moderators to keep that structure intact. No side ways.

You have to want structure yourself.
Begin with moving this discussion to a more appropriate place. (Leave the 01micko announcement where it is; but move everything from the question about a Puppy master to another, more suitable place!
this complete discussion has nothing to do with the 01micko announcement.

@01micko I always enjoyed your Slacko's!

bert07

Post by bert07 »

@williwaw No I feel not. When the Announcements sub got started, I had high hopes for this sub. But - alas - it already got polluted. The very right place to put the downloads of any puppy IS IN the Anouncemounts sub, but because it has already been polluted a next thread (Releases) is necessary.
It is also necessary to NOT allow any discussions on the release threads. Discussions have their own threads, and you do NOT need to discuss a release. It is just there for information. For nothing else.
No, i feel the Announcement sub is the ONLY place to announce (in downloads) new releases. Of course, builders need to tell that in their own sub as well, but they can link quiet easily to their releases pages because those links never change. Just the releases itself.
And of course the releases page must be corrected with every new release.

bigpup

Post by bigpup »

Oh! if things were really that simple!

Forum Global Moderator
The things you do not tell us, are usually the clue to fixing the problem.
When I was a kid, I wanted to be older.
This is not what I expected :o

Return to “Announcements”