Printer install by 64BitInstaller

Moderator: Forum moderators

watchdog

Printer install by 64BitInstaller

Post by watchdog »

Forum member @rcrsn51 posted in the old puppy forum a project of a Printer Installer named 64BitInstaller which he retired for lack of testing. I saved it and it still works for installing my Brother Printer HL2130 in all 64 bit puppies using the 32 bit original drivers. 64BitInstaller requires a 32bit compatibility sfs named 32bit-slacko6.sfs which has inside it a script developed by jamesbond in Fatdog named start32 and the libs required to run 32 bit drivers. All new 32 bit compatibility sfs hasn't this script so the trick is to load the old 32bit-slacko6.sfs in installing printer drivers and then to unload it to use a new 32 bit compatibility sfs. Is it possible to resume the project of 64BitInstaller and the start32 script inside the 32 bit compatibility sfs?

rcrsn51

Re: Printer install by 64BitInstaller

Post by rcrsn51 »

The Starter Kit project has a 32bit compatibility pack for Brother printers. It is discussed here. But it has never been tested in a Puppy.

watchdog

Post by watchdog »

rcrsn51 wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 3:35 pm

The Starter Kit project has a 32bit compatibility pack for Brother printers. It is discussed here. But it has never been tested in a Puppy.

I had already successfully tested a previous version of the brother-compat-pack in ScPup64 but I did not remember it. I have successfully tested the new version of 2021 in S15Pup64. I have used:

Code: Select all

cd /usr/lib64/cups/filter
filter-fix brxxxx
rcrsn51

Post by rcrsn51 »

Excellent. How did you load the squashfs module into ScPup64?

watchdog

Post by watchdog »

rcrsn51 wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 8:01 pm

How did you load the squashfs module into ScPup64?

I mounted it by clicking on it and I saw what was inside and copied the content in a new dir. Then I have built a stardard puppy sfs to load, which I still have, using the command mksquashfs. The filter-fix script must be executed in /usr/lib64/cups/filter dir to work.

rcrsn51

Post by rcrsn51 »

Thanks. Just out of curiosity, why did the squashfs module need to be rebuilt for Puppy? What needed to be changed?

Could you not just change the extension from .squashfs to .sfs?

watchdog

Post by watchdog »

Yes, you are right, no need to change somenthing inside the brother-32bit-compat-pack. I do not remember very well what I did in ScPup64: probably I experimented something before successfully achieving the printer install because of the filter-fix not properly working when executed in /usr/lib/cups/filter. I have saved other packages not well tested in slackware puppies from dog linux where it was needed the dirs to be changed such as a printer-driver-brlaser-github_7_amd64.deb: I'am mistaking something. As well no need to repackage a squashfs file from dog linux but I always see what is inside for my curiosity and I did not know in the past that a squashfs file is identical to an sfs of puppy. Sorry my bad.

fr-ke

Post by fr-ke »

@rcrsn51 Thanks for 64BitInstaller.

Also works in BookwormPup64-10.0.5 as described after I created a 64BitInstaller.pet and then imported it.

I use an MFC-7370DN which also supports Postscript.
Printing a complex .pdf now takes just a few seconds compared to 60 to 80 seconds with the Postscript driver.

Neither sfs on the fly nor sfs load at boot time worked.
The scripts are executed, but the printer does nothing afterwards.
This may be related to overlayfs - /lib32 and /usr/local/bin are empty after loading the .sfs.
Nevertheless, the scripts debbi-compat and filter-fix could be launched normally.
I made a total of 4 attempts with the .sfs, each time with a fresh, unmodified puppy and the result was the same every time. No printing.

After I installed the .pet everything worked as described.

Return to “Drivers”