I messed up the sound on Slacko 7.0

Post by Tug »

Hello,

I thought that I would mess around with a recording app with

Slacko Puppy 7.0 i686
JWM v2.3.6
ROX-Filer 2.11
Laptop - Latitude E4300

I installed Rosegarden and Qsynth. I did not configure the sound for those correctly and I managed to mess up the audio for the laptop in general. Now I have no sound on the laptop while on Youtube or any video.

I could just wipe out everything with Gparted and start over but I would rather figure out how to fix what I messed up.

Thanks

geo_c

Re: I messed up the sound on Slacko 7.0

Post by geo_c »

Did you also install jack audio server to run Qsynth?

geo_c
Old School Hipster, and Such

Tug

Post by Tug »

I did not install Jack audio.

Tug

Post by Tug »

I take that back. Jack Audio IS installed.

geo_c

Post by geo_c »

Tug wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 3:44 pm

If jack audio is installed, you should see a little jack icon in the tray. Right click on it and then choose the "stop" button. This may get your audio back in the browsers. You will probably have to do this everytime you boot or restart Xwin.

When using jack apps and jack audio, there's a bit of a learning curve on how to use it. I don't know how well it works in Slacko, but if you want to continue using it, I could do some screenshots. However I don't have time today.

geo_c

Tug

Post by Tug »

geo_c wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 4:20 pm

If jack audio is installed, you should see a little jack icon in the tray. Right click on it and then choose the "stop" button. This may get your audio back in the browsers. You will probably have to do this everytime you boot or restart Xwin.

When using jack apps and jack audio, there's a bit of a learning curve on how to use it. I don't know how well it works in Slacko, but if you want to continue using it, I could do some screenshots. However I don't have time today.

It appears that Jack was installed but with some missing files. I uninstalled and reinstalled Jack and it said that all files were installed and the jack icon appeared under Multimedia but when I click on it nothing happens and Puppy Linux locks up and I have to shut the laptop off and reboot. I have since uninstalled Jack. I installed Audacity which appears to work so maybe I will leave it at that.

Thanks

geo_c

Post by geo_c »

Tug wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 2:21 pm
geo_c wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 4:20 pm

It appears that Jack was installed but with some missing files. I uninstalled and reinstalled Jack and it said that all files were installed and the jack icon appeared under Multimedia but when I click on it nothing happens and Puppy Linux locks up and I have to shut the laptop off and reboot. I have since uninstalled Jack. I installed Audacity which appears to work so maybe I will leave it at that.

Thanks

That sounds like a good choice. Jack is actually a fantastic system, but it's really designed for pro audio work, so it requires understanding quite a bit of audio lingo and also learning how it interacts with the built in audio setup.

Also you said you're using Slacko 7.0, and I don't know which jack version is in the Slackware repos, and how well it plays with Slacko.

If you're ever interested in using jack and puppy, I use a remaster available here in the forum called jackalpup. I have it installed on all my computers and I run it at my music studio. @puddlemoon who created it did a fantastic job of loading it up with all the best pro audio tools and configuring it to run out of the box. It really utilizes the low resource strengths of puppy and the best of linux audio. It's a remaster of fossapup with all the audio tools compiled into the base OS.

geo_c

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

Just jumping in here.

@Tug , if what you want IS a DAW, another option to consider is 10wt3ch's Studio 1337.....so called because the very first release was based around a Slackware 13.37-based Puppy (probably very early 5-series).

At one point, 10wt3ch had his own website, and was selling flash drives with Studio 1337 pre-installed for a modest price. It's been upgraded a few times over the years; the final release - 10wt3ch is no longer maintaining it, and in fact gave up on it completely - was based around Bionicpup64.

I have a copy of this on my Google Drive, if you're interested. You can install it to a flash drive, and then you can carry your very own completely self-contained DAW around with you in your pocket. It's absolutely stuffed to the gills with every audio/video-processing app you can possibly think of.....and then some!

Entirely up to you, of course. Let me know if you'd like to take a look at it, and I'll let you have the link.

-----------------------------------

As geo_c says, Jackalpup is also a very good choice for a completely outfitted, ready-to-go DAW. If you want to give either of these a try, let us know and we can soon walk you through installing them. :)

Mike. ;)

Puppy "stuff" ~ MORE Puppy "stuff" ~ ....and MORE! :D

Tug

Post by Tug »

I tried Jackalpup with a LiveCD but my old laptop couldn't handle it and kept freezing up. I went with Fossapup64 and after getting help - Jack, Qsynth and Rosegarden are all working. I don't have them configured correctly so I don't have MIDI sound yet. I could use some help with that but maybe this is not the right subforum for that.

Thanks

geo_c

Post by geo_c »

Tug wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 7:28 pm

I tried Jackalpup with a LiveCD but my old laptop couldn't handle it and kept freezing up. I went with Fossapup64 and after getting help - Jack, Qsynth and Rosegarden are all working. I don't have them configured correctly so I don't have MIDI sound yet. I could use some help with that but maybe this is not the right subforum for that.

Thanks

Midi usuage requires routing the midi interface or midi output of Rosegarden through Qsynth, and the audio outputs of Qsynth to where you want them. I installed Rosegarden in jackalpup quite awhile ago and got it working but I don't remember if I used Qsynth or the Carla Rack. The Carla plugin rack allows you to stack up virtual instruments and route them through jack using a graph jack interface built into Carla. Rosegarden may be capable of using Qsynth as a plugin. I'll have to take a look at some of my files and see what I approach I was using. I do remember Rosegarden being a bit a pain to configure. Midi audio sync work can get pretty complicated as there are a lot of options depending on what you're trying to accomplish with the work flow.

Jackalpup comes in at about 1.6gb of Ram at base level operating. But I'm not sure that's why it was hanging on your machine. Running live audio, i.e. playing virtual instruments with midi, is pretty resource intensive and is also limited by the sound card and other hardware.

If you describe exactly what one of your projects might look like, and maybe provide a few screen shots, I could give some more specific advice.

geo_c

Return to “Slacko”