Booting KLV-Airedale and KLA

Moderator: Forum moderators

wiak

Booting KLV-Airedale and KLA

Post by wiak »

rockedge wrote: Sat Dec 17, 2022 7:04 pm

@mikeslr Yes we are aware that the setup of boot stanza's for grub2config and Grub4Dos can be tricky. What you need is going to be a basic one most likely so all those extra parameters don't need to be used or set.

Also most importantly @wiak provides a script in the ISO called wd_grubconfig. Run this script from the frugal install directory in a terminal. It will create the grub2config compatible stanza's which then you can copy to your grub2 menu.

KLV-Airedale is one of many systems that boot via firstrib initrd (which some refer to as wiak initrd), and like FatDog attempted documentation is not covered by myself in forum threads anymore aside from what is archived at FirstRib (old archived info) here: viewforum.php?f=130

As far as that archive is concerned, most of what I still refer to is linked to at this 'WDL initrd "Cheat Sheet"' page: viewtopic.php?t=3965

Easier is:

For a first time user it is simplicity itself to boot KLV and similar distros booting via FirstRib initrd. As rockedge said, simply run the iso-provided wd_grubconfig utility and it will immediately give you working example grub.cfg stanzas (the UUID and LABEL it provides in the examples are those that match where you made the frugal install on your system). I usually myself use the bottom of the provided stanzas (the grub2 one for UUID boot method) but the others should work out-of-the-box too (including for those who use grub4dos rather than grub2). i.e. to find suitable boot stanza for your grub2 or grub4dos system, simply open terminal where you made your frugal install and enter command:

Code: Select all

./wd_grubconfig

wd_grubconfig does not provide examples for other boot managers such as Limine though.

For more details on other boot options and FirstRib initrd facilities read the specially written blog articles at https://tinylinux.info such as:

"Firstrib booting via UUID and LABEL": https://www.tinylinux.info/post/firstri ... and-label/
"FirstRib initrd RAM modes": https://www.tinylinux.info/post/firstri ... ram-modes/

https://www.tinylinux.info/
DOWNLOAD wd_multi for hundreds of 'distros' at your fingertips: viewtopic.php?p=99154#p99154
Αξίζει να μεταφραστεί;

rockedge
Site Admin

Re: Booting KLV-Airedale and KLA

Post by rockedge »

An example run of ./wd_grubconfig from a USB HDD frugal installation located on this system at /mnt/sdc1/KLV-Airedale-rc3

The first and second boot stanza's are for Grub4Dos and the third and fourth are for Grub2

Screenshot(8).jpg
Screenshot(8).jpg (124.42 KiB) Viewed 1610 times
mikeslr

Post by mikeslr »

Wiak, your WDL initrd "Cheat Sheet", viewtopic.php?t=3965 is a great resource. :thumbup: Thanks for calling it to my attention. I'll be sure to make use of it in the future.

I am reminded of preparing for my Corporate Law Finals. It was to be an open book test. That isn't as easy as it sounds. No 'True' or 'False', or pick the correct answer from a list. Just knowing the right answer wasn't enough. By the third year I could usually guess the answer based on what I had previously learned in other courses. I hated open book tests. It meant I had to write an essay, citing passages from 'the opened' Book for the Course. For me that meant I had to actually open the book :o ; and rather than scan it's Table of Contents, read it for the first time. :roll: While preparing for the Finals of my other courses. :cry:

I attended one of the four law schools in DC. My Prof had previously taught Corporate Law at another. Somehow one of my roommates got hold of old tests he had given at that other school. And, sure enough, two of the questions on our Final were among the questions on the tests we had acquired. It didn't matter. Cramming for the finals we spent all our time going over, and quizzing each other about, the cases in the Course Book. None of us had even looked at the 'old tests' we had acquired; until after Finals we had time. :lol:

After my post, the urge to try KLV-Airedale became irresistible. I didn't wait for an answer, choosing to muddle thru. One of the first things they taught at Law School was 'Never Scan': even if scanning provides you with 90% comprehension of the subject matter, you may miss the 10% which is crucial to solving the problem. I'll have to bone up on that advice. When I returned to this Thread I scanned for boot-argument examples, saw geo_c's post, but skipped by your post. :oops:

Clarity

Post by Clarity »

These distros have matured from Alpha, thru Beta, thru RC to now one/more maturing to GA. Every trained developer knows of this process.

What is the criterion that should be set to distinguish these to be Official in the KL arena. FATDOG has ifs version of Official. For years, I have considered the DOGs (ie DebianDOG, etc) to be 'official'.

To avoid the recent disturbances seen recently by the WoofCE developer, should some criterion be set, for the multiple KL's, that have common subsystems be Official in each of the sub-areas in this section of the forum. Thus this subarea would have common releases similar to the likes of Ubuntu with official releases with common subsystems as we see currently here.

This would protect and establish the benefits that KL's is currently offering user, today.

A position like this would NOT distort any of the development work that continues in the designated forum subareas KL has. But its users would know that movements from one official to another would be common is the services that would be seen in those that are official.

This project has come so far and have become so polished easy to use, it is outstanding with the accomplishments achieved across the board, thus far.

Return to “Kennel Linux”