Wine run 32bit Windows application

New to Puppy and have questions? Start here

Moderator: Forum moderators

ionmich

Wine run 32bit Windows application

Post by ionmich »

fossapup64 version 9.5 - Which version of wine should I install with PPM to run this application?

Geek3579

Re: Wine run 32bit Windows application

Post by Geek3579 »

II dont run WINE from the PPM because of past issues, but always use a Portable WINE which works fine with Fossapup ( wine-portable-3.3_v.2.1b) and every other puppy os I have tried.

And I needed the 32bit-compatibilty-fossa64.sfs too found in quickpet fossa under the "Useful" menu.

ionmich

Post by ionmich »

fossapup64 version 9.5

Sorry, I'm lost here. Where do I find wine-portable-3.3_v.2.1b and how do I install it if not with PPM? the same goes for 32bit-compatibilty-fossa64.sfs

geo_c

Post by geo_c »

ionmich wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 5:47 pm

fossapup64 version 9.5 Sorry, I'm lost here. Where do I find wine-portable-3.3_v.2.1b and how do I install it if not with PPM? the same goes for 32bit-compatibilty-fossa64.sfs

I have run this with success viewtopic.php?t=1754

There is also a more recent version but I haven't tried it: viewtopic.php?t=6849

geo_c
Old School Hipster, and Such

ionmich

Post by ionmich »

fossapup64 version 9.5

I downloaded wine-staging-linux-x86-v5.11-PlayOnLinux-x86_64.AppImage and used

Code: Select all

chmod u+x

and ran it. Then I ran Wine-x86_64-debian.stretch.AppImage and it told me run "wine". But when I do it responds

bash: wine: command not found
ionmich

Post by ionmich »

fossapup64 version 9.5

root# whereis wine
wine:
root#

geo_c

Post by geo_c »

ionmich wrote: Sat Dec 17, 2022 2:28 am

fossapup64 version 9.5

I downloaded wine-staging-linux-x86-v5.11-PlayOnLinux-x86_64.AppImage and used

chmod u+x

and ran it. Then I ran Wine-x86_64-debian.stretch.AppImage and it told me run "wine". But when I do it responds

Did you try just running the debian appimage just by clicking on it in Rox?

geo_c
Old School Hipster, and Such

bigpup

Post by bigpup »

ionmich wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 5:47 pm

fossapup64 version 9.5

Sorry, I'm lost here. Where do I find wine-portable-3.3_v.2.1b and how do I install it if not with PPM? the same goes for 32bit-compatibilty-fossa64.sfs

We are assuming you have Fossapup64 installed as a frugal install.
If this is wrong.
How is it installed and on what type drive?

32bit-compatibilty-fossa64.sfs gives you everything needed to run 32bit software in the 64 bit Fossapup64 9.5

fossapup64 9.5 has the program Quickpet, icon on desktop.
Quickpet ->Useful Tab
Click on 32bit compatibility button.
A list of different SFS files pop up.
Select the 32bit compatibility SFS
Click OK.
Select location to get it from. Suggest distro.ibiblio.org
It will download the file and load it into the operating file system.

Note:
Programs that are packaged as SFS files are a special way to use programs.
An SFS file is not installed, but loaded into the file system and will work as if it was installed.
do not want it loaded any more, just unload it, and it no longer is in the file system.
This can be controlled by using the program SFS-load-on-the-fly.

Usually place SFS files in /mnt/home location or inside the Frugal install directory(folder).

The things you do not tell us, are usually the clue to fixing the problem.
When I was a kid, I wanted to be older.
This is not what I expected :o

ionmich

Post by ionmich »

fossapup64 version 9.5

Did you try just running the debian appimage just by clicking on it in Rox?

Yes I did. Some flashing of the file title, then nothing.

ionmich

Post by ionmich »

fossapup64 version 9.5

We are assuming you have Fossapup64 installed as a frugal install.
If this is wrong.

I've re-installed several times so I am not sure now.

How is it installed and on what type drive?

Booted from a USB stick, installed to an internal 1TB hard drive with no other OS on it. By the way when booting it tells me it's copying from a SAVED session file immediately under /, but when I search for that file after boot, it's not there. So I think that despite my correcting efforts, my session is not being saved.

ionmich

Post by ionmich »

fossapup64 version 9.5

Following the instructions ending with...

Select location to get it from. Suggest distro.ibiblio.org
It will download the file and load it into the operating file system.

I did that and tried again after rebooting. I suspect that rebooting is not required.

root# wine
root# whereis wine
wine:
root#
ionmich

Post by ionmich »

Explanation. I really like the way Puppy works, but in order to make it my main distro I need to use wine to get to my Sculptor database wich runs under a Windows CoCo3 emulator called VCC.exe that runs Microware OS9 8bit/16bit OS. Complicated, but I paid big money for Sculptor and I love it. I normally use Gecko Linux to do this.

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

@ionmich :-

I've turned the WINE AppImage @geo_c mentioned earlier on - WINE-staging-5.11 - into a self-contained 'portable' application.

You download the tarball, unzip it, then place the directory anywhere you like, though outside the 'save' is preferable, given that with the size of the AppImage AND some of the Windows apps/programs people like to run the whole thing can grow to quite a size! /mnt/home, alongside all your Puppy SFS files/bootloader/save-file or save-folder, etc, is usually a good place for this to go.

It creates all the relevant directories & files within the WINE directory. When you enter the directory, you'll find two scripts; "WINE-link" & "WINE-remove". You don't "install" this as such; it's built along similar lines to the Windows 'portable' applications, and runs from wherever you want to place it.

------------------------------------------------------------

When you first use it, click on the "WINE-link" script. It will first of all check to see if there's an existing, already-created WINE 'prefix'; if not, it will run the 'winecfg' command, following which just run through the instructions on-screen, and let it install the MONO & Gecko runtime setup routines. During this, gtk-dialog boxes will keep you apprised of progress. It will end up with displaying the WINE control panel, and at this point you will know the 'prefix' has been correctly created. It finishes up by sym-linking this into position at /root/.wine, where it's expected to be found, and installing a bunch of Menu entries.

If a WINE 'prefix' already exists, the process takes quite a bit less time, because all it has to do is to link everything into place and, once again, set-up the Menu entries.

To install apps/progs, go to Menu->Setup->Wine Control Panel, and double-click on the "Add/Remove" icon. Now, you can install or remove applications just like you would in Windows itself.

The 'portable' will remain linked into the system unless & until you decide you wish to remove it, or perhaps re-locate it somewhere else. For this, simply click on the "WINE-remove" script, and all the links/Menu entries will be removed. If you're re-positioning the portable in a new location, simply run the "WINE-link" script again to link it back into the system once more.

This AppImage doesn't require use of the separate 32-bit compatibility SFS, due to the fact that it apparently has it already built in.

------------------------------------------------

If you want to add Menu entries to run your own applications, we can soon help you with this; it's a manual procedure, but it doesn't take much doing. If it's an application you want to use/re-use on a regular basis, it's simplest to turn the Menu entry into a .pet package; this way, it can be readily added/removed as & when you want. :)

Just my two-penn'orth, FWIW.....and another option to consider. If you should happen to be interested in this, you can find it here:-

https://mega.nz/folder/2TIDQJbQ#YaH1ik5P-lvLLOEKfyLypg

.....along with an MD5 checksum, if you use these things.

Mike. ;)

Return to “Beginners Help”