remove drive icons from desktop?

Moderators: dimkr, Forum moderators

s0ltkr

remove drive icons from desktop?

Post by s0ltkr »

I, just by preference, want to remove the drives icons from my desktop. I run 4 partitions and I like to mount and unmount them from time to time, and I can do that within /mnt, as long as in Puppy Event Manager I have the "Show Desktop Icons for each PARTITION" box checked.

If its unchecked then I can't mount or unmount the partitions at all. It does remove all 4 partitions from the desktop, but then when I restart X one drive still pops up on the desktop. So in that instance I can't mount or unmount any partitions and there is still a drive showing on the desktop... worse than I started.

So I've figured out how to remove them from the desktop at least temporarily by going to /root/Choices/ROX-Filer/PuppyPin and removing these lines of code:

Code: Select all

<icon x="240" y="736" label="sda4" args="drive ext4">/tmp/pup_event_frontend/drive_sda4</icon>
<icon x="176" y="736" label="sda3" args="drive ext4">/tmp/pup_event_frontend/drive_sda3</icon>
<icon x="112" y="736" label="sda2" args="drive ext4">/tmp/pup_event_frontend/drive_sda2</icon>
<icon x="48" y="736" label="sda1" args="drive vfat">/tmp/pup_event_frontend/drive_sda1</icon>

Then I run

Code: Select all

rox -p /root/Choices/ROX-Filer/PuppyPin

which then makes all the drives vanish from the desktop like I want! And I can still mount and unmount them from /mnt, and they stay off the desktop.

The issue is that when I reboot or restart X the PuppyPin file is rewritten and the files show back up on the desktop..

I even tried going into /tmp/pup_event_frontend/ and rename the drive_sda files.. but on reboot or restart X the names are changed back again and the problem persists.

Those are all the fixes to this problem I could find that are said to have worked on old puppy but apparently don't work now..

Any ideas?

sonny

Re: remove drive icons from desktop?

Post by sonny »

s0ltkr

Re: remove drive icons from desktop?

Post by s0ltkr »

I tried this. I renamed the drive_drives file but after restart X, it is rewritten and back named drive_drives, and the icon is back on the desktop.

Also if I uncheck the boxes on the event manager, then I'm unable to mount or unmount the partitions.

Return to “Vanilla Dpup”