(SOLVED) modprobe coretemp on boot

Moderators: dimkr, Forum moderators

s0ltkr

(SOLVED) modprobe coretemp on boot

Post by s0ltkr »

So I'm running Dpup on a 2009 macbook pro 5,5 and so far I'm loving it, once I figured out the dreaded b43 firmware issues for the wifi..

I've configured conky to show all the sensor temp outputs, ACPI, PCI, CPU core 1&2. The issue is I have to run modprobe coretemp to get it to read the core temps, because it doesn't load the module on boot. I'm using lm-sensors and sensors-detect finds the coretemp module and wants to add it to /etc/modules but can't because its a directory. I can't figure out what .conf file to add the coretemp line to and I gave up. Now I'm just trying to figure out how to run the modprobe coretemp command on boot. I've tried making a coretemp.conf file in /etc/modprobe.d several ways but I guess I'm not coding it right.

Anyways I'll keep hunting but thought I would reach out here because there's some subtle differences to the modules files that are making this tricky for me.

Loving Dpup though! I make sure I backup the save file a few times a day on a different partition because I have added some packages that cause kernel panic and have had to delete the save file and copy over the backup. Frugal pup works when you add the package in but doesn't come preloaded so I had to use fossapup to make my grub file to get Dpup to be a boot option initially for EUFI. I run several puppies on this machine it helps sometimes.

EDIT:
So I reached out on weechat about it and got this response from KuLuSz:

menu > system > bootmanager > modules tab > add new module
then find the coretemp module in the list on the left > select and press add > then OK > reboot "with savefile"

I couldn't find bootmanager in the menu by default but I found it with pfind in /usr/sbin/bootmanager

I looked through the list on the left and couldn't find the coretemp module.. only core

I realized I already had coretemp manually loaded, so I rebooted and tried bootmanager again, and coretemp was an option on the list to the left. I selected and added it and clicked OK. Rebooted and..... conky still doesn't recognize coretemp immediately on boot..

EDIT:
So I figured it out, the bootmanager reorganized the hwmon number of the coretemp so my conky code was no longer correct, after modifying that from:

${hwmon 5 temp 1} ${hwmon 5 temp 2}
to
${hwmon 4 temp 1} ${hwmon 4 temp 2}

We have successful conky temp readouts for both cores immediately on reboot.

Last edited by s0ltkr on Sun Dec 11, 2022 10:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Vanilla Dpup”