The system takes forever to shut down, while doing nothing useful for me.

For discussions about security.
amarinop

The system takes forever to shut down, while doing nothing useful for me.

Post by amarinop »

Many times it happens to me that I try to turn off puppylinux and the PC does not respond. I try to unmount the USB drives and it won't let me. The LED indicators of the USB drives blink continuously. While this is happening, I notice that the processes named kworker, conky, retrovol, clipit, and jwn don't stop working. Its activity is not very intense: its occupancy rate does not exceed 1 or 2%; but the PC doesn't turn off and I can't extract the flash drives and SD cards. Only after an excruciating wait does the PC decide to shut down. The same thing happens to me if I run a SaveFile or if I'm in a live session. I understand how secure Puppy is and that the visible processes seem system-specific; but I wonder if there is a possibility that a spy code has been installed in the boot sector of the flash memory or in the BIOS of the PC. I don't know if this may have happened in the process of creating the bootable USB drive. I ask if anyone has been in a similar situation and please help me solve it.
Thank you

rockedge
Site Admin

Re: The system takes forever to shut down, while doing nothing useful for me.

Post by rockedge »

Which method are you using to reboot/shutdown. What happens if you reboot from a terminal command line?

Please describe the type of computer and how the Puppy Linux is installed.

bigpup

Post by bigpup »

What specific version of Puppy?

Give specific name of the Puppy ISO you used to install it??

Do you have any programs running, when you try to shutdown?

What web browser are you using?
Have you shut it down, before you do this shutdown of the computer?

There are a few Browsers, that still keep stuff running, even after you shut them down.
Browser preferences, should provide option, to not have this happen.

Forum Global Moderator
The things you do not tell us, are usually the clue to fixing the problem.
When I was a kid, I wanted to be older.
This is not what I expected :o

amarinop

Post by amarinop »

Test details:
1. I opened a live session.
2. Without doing any other operations, I transferred a 1GB pupsave from sd card to flash drive.
3. Verify using the GtkHash utility that the file copied to the destination is identical to the original.
4. I ran reboot from the console and it showed me several times "Write error: Broken pipe.
5. I observed graphically in Gatotry v3 3 that there was activity.
6. So until the shutdown occurred. This time in about 5 min. Other times it happens after half an hour. The question that suggests to me is: What does pupy do, if he has already finished doing the only thing I asked him to do?

I work on an Asus k55a Laptop with RAM=6 GB and i5 processor. After downloading from the official url and verifying the hash of Fossapup64-9.5.iso, I
i installed from w10 using yumi utility. I then opened a live session and from there I used Gparted to format a 32G ADATA uv/128 3.2 flash drive. Use ext3. I then used the Puppy installer to install Pyppy to the flash drive.

wiak

Post by wiak »

First, I'd try running without the pupsave. If okay then you have installed something into the pupsave that causes the issue. If so, I'd just start fresh.

https://www.tinylinux.info/
DOWNLOAD wd_multi for hundreds of 'distros' at your fingertips: viewtopic.php?p=99154#p99154
Αξίζει να μεταφραστεί;

don570

Post by don570 »

Yes to wiak's advice.

However I should warn that some laptop models are not properly tested with a given linux kernel
so bugs can get in. That's especially true in the case of the shutdown procedure.

So if a new save file doesn't solve problem I would try a puppy distro that uses a different kernel
and pray that it is compatible.

dogcat

Post by dogcat »

The ASUS K55A has 3 USB ports, one of those is a USB 2.0 port and two of them are USB 3.0
Try a different USB port? Try a different flash drive?

μακάριοι οἱ δεδιωγμένοι ἕνεκεν δικαιοσύνης, ὅτι αὐτῶν ἐστιν ἡ βασιλεία τῶν οὐρανῶν.

mimine

Post by mimine »

amarinop wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 9:05 pm

Many times it happens to me that I try to turn off puppylinux and the PC does not respond. I try to unmount the USB drives and it won't let me. The LED indicators of the USB drives blink continuously. While this is happening, I notice that the processes named kworker, conky, retrovol, clipit, and jwn don't stop working. Its activity is not very intense: its occupancy rate does not exceed 1 or 2%; but the PC doesn't turn off and I can't extract the flash drives and SD cards. Only after an excruciating wait does the PC decide to shut down. The same thing happens to me if I run a SaveFile or if I'm in a live session. I understand how secure Puppy is and that the visible processes seem system-specific; but I wonder if there is a possibility that a spy code has been installed in the boot sector of the flash memory or in the BIOS of the PC. I don't know if this may have happened in the process of creating the bootable USB drive. I ask if anyone has been in a similar situation and please help me solve it.
Thank you

I had the same problem.
It's because your save file is on the usb and is big and the usb is slow.
Solution : never have a savefile on the usb , but on another hard disk.

bigpup

Post by bigpup »

I transferred a 1GB pupsave from sd card to flash drive.

Was it a Fossapup64save that was made on this same computer?

You can not use a save from a different version of Puppy.

Seems the save had something wrong with it and the shutdown, write to save, was trying to fix it.

If you were using a browser.
Those things keep all kinds of cached stuff and will fill up a save if you do not adjust the browser preferences settings to control this.

Puppy limits the times it write to a save on a USB stick.
If you do not click on the desktop save icon or have it set to save every so many minutes.
The only time the save is written to is at shutdown.
So it can take some time to complete, if there is a lot to put in the save.

How to keep save small
viewtopic.php?t=6257

Forum Global Moderator
The things you do not tell us, are usually the clue to fixing the problem.
When I was a kid, I wanted to be older.
This is not what I expected :o

BologneChe

Post by BologneChe »

In my experience, backing up data to a USB3 drive from Bionicpup64 takes about 3-4 minutes. The volume of saved data is about 500-600 MB.
Note that under EasyOS Dunfell, the same type of operation lasts a few seconds with the same constraints.

Born to lose; live to win

Clarity

Post by Clarity »

Hummm???

Recommendation: Others might, but I don't recommend directing/using a save to EITHER a USB stick nor to a SDcard of any type. And it does not matter if its a USB2 or a USB3 or SDcard class 10 or ... On older PC (more than 3 years old) this is asking for issues in behavior, performance, and durability requiring filesystem maintenance. These devices should ONLY be used as ISO boot units or data/media transport units where the information is written once and rarely changed. Not to be used for ANY INTERACTIVE use on old systems.

Idea for future use if not already known

• If you ONLY intend to save your sessions as "save-files", you can save your sessions anywhere on your system drive;

• If you intend to save your sessions as save-folder, you MUST create (format) a Linux filesystem, preferably on your system drive, to contain the save-folders. PUPs/DOGs REQUIRE that save-folders will only be saved upon Linux formatted partitions.

This thread's complaint sounds like some sort of a filesystem issue that can be easily avoided.

Wiz57

Post by Wiz57 »

Clarity wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 8:29 am

Hummm???

Recommendation: Others might, but I don't recommend directing/using a save to EITHER a USB stick nor to a SDcard of any type. And it does not matter if its a USB2 or a USB3 or SDcard class 10 or ... On older PC (more than 3 years old) this is asking for issues in behavior, performance, and durability requiring filesystem maintenance. These devices should ONLY be used as ISO boot units or data/media transport units where the information is written once and rarely changed. Not to be used for ANY INTERACTIVE use on old systems.

• If you ONLY intend to save your sessions as "save-files", you can save your sessions anywhere on your system drive;

• If you intend to save your sessions as save-folder, you MUST create (format) a Linux filesystem, preferably on your system drive, to contain the save-folders. PUPs/DOGs REQUIRE that save-folders will only be saved upon Linux formatted partitions.

This thread's complaint sounds like some sort of a filesystem issue that can be easily avoided.

HMMMMM!!! Such nonsense! You and mimine should perhaps keep in mind the one of the benefits of Puppy Linux, and other small distros as well....
by keeping your changes on the same USB thumb drive that you boot from allows you to take your system with you! By the way, what happens
if your "internal drive" is nonfunctional? Can't put that savefile or folder on it then, can you?
Wiz
ps...the OP has probably corrupted the savefile on their initial copying from one media to another, rather than booting from it, then
using one of the Puppy Installers to install the system to the other media.

Signature available upon request

mimine

Post by mimine »

Wiz57 wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 1:19 pm

Hummm???

HMMMMM!!! Such nonsense! You and mimine should perhaps keep in mind the one of the benefits of Puppy Linux, and other small distros as well....
by keeping your changes on the same USB thumb drive that you boot from allows you to take your system with you! By the way, what happens
if your "internal drive" is nonfunctional? Can't put that savefile or folder on it then, can you?
Wiz
ps...the OP has probably corrupted the savefile on their initial copying from one media to another, rather than booting from it, then

Nope, it's a bug.
when I have a savefile on the same usb with bionicpup64 , the savefile or the system gets corrupted and I get a FSCK at the start or I have to do it manually.
I didn't have time or energy to investigate that big bug.
I tried many times and it occurred always....

Wiz57

Post by Wiz57 »

mimine wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 2:08 pm
Wiz57 wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 1:19 pm

Hummm???

Wiz

Nope, it's a bug.
when I have a savefile on the same usb with bionicpup64 , the savefile or the system gets corrupted and I get a FSCK at the start or I have to do it manually.
I didn't have time or energy to investigate that big bug.
I tried many times and it occurred always....

Just to let you and others know...on my old Acer Aspire One, I have several Pups frugally installed to the internal HDD...my Pups always run
the fschk at bootup. I don't consider that a "bug", more a "feature" as it is better to be safe than sorry. Years ago, I booted Slax 5, 6 and 7
on that AAO, from bootable USB thumb drive...the settings were saved back to the thumb drive in a file named "changes.dat"...on the same
thumb drive! If there were a problem at bootup with "changes.dat", I had a menu choice to run fschk on it!

Signature available upon request

mimine

Post by mimine »

Wiz57 wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 2:48 pm

Just to let you and others know...on my old Acer Aspire One, I have several Pups frugally installed to the internal HDD...my Pups always run
the fschk at bootup. I don't consider that a "bug", more a "feature" as it is better to be safe than sorry. Years ago, I booted Slax 5, 6 and 7
on that AAO, from bootable USB thumb drive...the settings were saved back to the thumb drive in a file named "changes.dat"...on the same
thumb drive! If there were a problem at bootup with "changes.dat", I had a menu choice to run fschk on it!

no I didn't mean that.
I meant that the USB got corrupted and I needed to fsck it all the time when getting to the desktop after the startup.
And the bionicpup took a very long to shutdown.
Definitely a save-file corruption in some way or another.

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

Mm.

My view is that the OP's problem revolves around two things:-

• Write-caching, and

• A slow storage device.

I've had SD cards and 'no-name' USB drives where the drive's controller is so slow that, despite Puppy telling me after x seconds that the operation is finished, the drive's activity LED is still flashing several minutes later before it finally quits doing whatever it's doing.

The write cache in Puppy is still syncing to that of the drive.....which in this case probably has a very slow controller chip. I've used SD cards for Puppy installs before now, and never had much success with them. For that reason alone I wouldn't recommend them, but YMMV, of course.

Mike. ;)

Puppy "stuff" ~ MORE Puppy "stuff" ~ ....and MORE! :D

williams2

Post by williams2 »

Shutting down, Linux usually unmounts file systems that are mounted.

Puppy's can not unmount a file system that is being used.

Usually, the save file/folder is in use by the entire Puppy operating system,
so the OS tries to unmount the save FS, trying to remount it ro, forcing a lazy unmount etc etc.
Most if the time, the save FS can not be unmounted, so the save file system is marked as dirty.
So, the next time the save FS is mounted (that is, the next time Pupy boots)
a File System ChecK is automatically done.
For ext3 or ext4, a fsck takes less than a second.
Ext2 does not have a journal, so a fsck can take much longer. sometimes hours.

Usually, a few files had the file names removed from the operating systems virtual FS, but the orphaned inodes and inode meta data are still there.
fsck removes the orphaned inodes and inode meta data, which recovers the space that those files used.

orphaned inodes are very common.

EDIT: It is not safe to fsck a mounted file system.
It can cause corruption of the file system.
(depending on the type of file system.)

Return to “Security”