HPLIP Print/Scan Drivers

Moderator: Forum moderators

rockedge
Site Admin

Re: HPLIP Print/Scan Drivers

Post by rockedge »

I have been able to setup and use AirPrint to print through USB connected to a Tahr-6.0.5 using a Canon MG2520. Works well enough that iPhones, iPads and Android devices can "see" the printer and use it as a networked printer.

I have not been able yet to successfully use KLV-Airedale to either find the printer or set it up in CUPS to print over the LAN.

F96_4-radky2-CE with CUPS can see the printer and will print to the Canon.

rcrsn51

Post by rcrsn51 »

rockedge wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 1:39 pm

I have not been able yet to successfully use KLV-Airedale to either find the printer or set it up in CUPS to print over the LAN.

Install it on the client machine as an AirPrinter using PeasyCUPS.

rockedge
Site Admin

Post by rockedge »

@rcrsn51 I think PeasyCUPS will need to be included in the F96-CE series, as well as PeasyPort to add to the utilities and tools in F96-CE on hand. Next generation will be F97-CE and these additions will really simplify getting users printing from their machines and the port scanning speaks for itself. The size of these packages should not impact the overall size of the ISO/IMG package of the distro.

rcrsn51

Post by rcrsn51 »

@rockedge: I set up the same situation as you.

1. I connected a Canon printer to a machine by USB and installed the vendor driver.
2. I installed the printer in CUPS and declared it shareable in the usual two places.
3. I started avahi-daemon to provide network communication.
4. On a client machine, I also started avahi-daemon.
5. I ran PeasyCUPS, opened the AirPrint section, detected the remote Canon and installed it as an AirPrinter. This uses the IPP-Everywhere driver so no vendor driver was needed.
6. I could print from the client to the Canon from various apps.
7. I didn't test it, but I expect that an iphone could also print to the Canon.

rockedge
Site Admin

Post by rockedge »

@rcrsn51 I will do the steps on the client machine that you did to finish the printer setup.

Yes you describe exactly what I have setup with avahi-daemon on a 2008 DELL 32 bit tower running Tahr-6.0.5 which is and has been the most reliable print server since the Tahr-6.0.5 era. Once the Tahr system is running pretty much every device has been able to print with the Canon. I use a Canon program for scanning that I found on the South East Asia Canon website that works on the tower and does a good job even though the Linux GUI interface is very simple.

Is it possible to scan with AirPrint on a remote machine on the LAN?

rcrsn51

Post by rcrsn51 »

rockedge wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 6:27 pm

Is it possible to scan with AirPrint on a remote machine on the LAN?

You need to read the PeasyCUPS section at the end of the Starter Kit thread.

rcrsn51

Post by rcrsn51 »

No reply from tosim after a week. This was a missed opportunity to provide a good solution for these old HP 1000-series Laserjets.

tosim

Post by tosim »

@rcrsn51 I BEG YOUR PARDON-You just didn't pay attention to my reply; see this:

rep.png
rep.png (7.3 KiB) Viewed 756 times

From pg3, IMMEDIATELY after your post!!

rcrsn51

Post by rcrsn51 »

@tosim: On Dec 1, you asked for help with your P1005 using the hplip-print-scan driver. When that didn't work, I suggested the foo2xxx driver which might provide the required firmware. If that had worked, there was possibly a better solution.

Since I still have heard nothing back in that regard, I will assume that there is no more interest in supporting these 100-series Laserjets in Puppy.

rockedge
Site Admin

Post by rockedge »

some point today, among the 2 operating systems being pushed to get finished, running 3 forums and wiki plus server, meanwhile constantly having to monitor for DDoS attack by rogue spiders, I'll be setting up a test of this package on a brand new F96_4-radky5-CE to run local print jobs then as a print server and attempt remote scanning via the desktop and the HP-F4500 attached to it.

Due to some unrelenting pressure to perform, I will report as soon as it's slot in the queue comes up.

tosim

Post by tosim »

rcn.txt
(495 Bytes) Downloaded 42 times

@rcrsn51 Once again, I quote from previous page; upper sentence was you, below-was my response. YOU DID NOT answer that. Will return tomorrow to see if I get the reply.
At any rate, if not, I don't intend to continue this.

rcn.txt
(495 Bytes) Downloaded 42 times

Update:17Dec-No reply from @@@@rcrsn51 !

Last edited by tosim on Sat Dec 17, 2022 4:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wiak

Post by wiak »

rockedge wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 5:31 pm

some point today, among the 2 operating systems being pushed to get finished, running 3 forums and wiki plus server, meanwhile constantly having to monitor for DDoS attack by rogue spiders, I'll be setting up a test of this package on a brand new F96_4-radky5-CE to run local print jobs then as a print server and attempt remote scanning via the desktop and the HP-F4500 attached to it.

Due to some unrelenting pressure to perform, I will report as soon as it's slot in the queue comes up.

Might I suggest we start a new, very much ON topic thread on the mathematics of "queue theory" to see if we can rationalise a stategy to help our errant forum members minimise feedback response time ;-)
Unfortunately, I suspect all of us are guilty of continually letting items slip from what was their intended queue position, and even of often downloading contributions without thanks or any comments at all. Certainly it sometimes dawns on me that there is little or no reward or even often gratitude for the sometimes crazily large number of hours involved in contributing to open source endeavours. Most downloaders and thread readers remain invisible even when the download or what they read proves helpful to them - my only hope is that they themselves contribute back to the community in some similar way of their own (and also thus themselves suffer the frustration of limited or no feedback and unspoken gratitude).

I suppose it would be immoral and criminal even to include a small piece of code in every contribution that caused some mischief to the downloader's system unless feedback is received by the contributor within a declared terms and conditions time period? Some kind of automated gun-to-the-head contract so to speak?

Meanwhile, we also have the problem of how to organise all solved or useful feedback reports such that solutions are easily found - if only some kind of bot could intelligently scan the forum regularly and put well-organised table of tried, tested, working and so on results into some easily later referred to wiki page. Certainly forum members have proved nigh on useless at producing a wiki that didn't end up so out-of-date to be worse than useless (and a mix of news and fake news is probably the least trustable, in terms of most dangerous, resource of all). Alas, in the end, I resign myself to be reliant on psearch or similar to eventually search out details and solutions regarding what has been tested and confirmed as working or otherwise. And I well-understand, though still do not always simply accept, that all contributions I ever make may well be disregarded, or simply used by others, secretly or otherwise, without even a hint of gratitude or useful report and certainly no donation of anything that would allow me to buy my next coffee. But... it depends - some are very generous and even over-kind in the feedback they provide, but there are always more no-response results (like blank mirrors) than glorious congratulations that put a smile to our faces! :-)

Forget thanks, just send me the money, I say!!!!!

https://www.tinylinux.info/
DOWNLOAD wd_multi for hundreds of 'distros' at your fingertips: viewtopic.php?p=99154#p99154
Αξίζει να μεταφραστεί;

Marv

Post by Marv »

fresh install of F96_4-radky5-CE (to see whether if it's 'modular' enough to replace my highly pruned fossapup64s. Network set up (Atheros kernel supported so fdrv not needed), PCManFm from PPM for now used to replace the bdrv xfe. Otherwise stock. Installed @rcrsn51 latest HPLIP. Firewall off, networked HP4500 detected by CUPS and installed using the HP Officejet 4500 g510g-m, hpcups 3.22.10 (color) driver. Prints correctly. With the firewall still off, scanimage -L finds and reports the printer correctly as:

device `hpaio:/net/officejet_4500_g510g-m?ip=192.168.10.30&queue=false' is a Hewlett-Packard officejet_4500_g510g-m all-in-one

Not meaning to horn in, just quick for me to test...

Jim

My pups: LxPupSc64 and Voidpup64 with LXDE ydrv & synaptics touchpad drivers, both using savefiles. Ydrv based Jammypup64 (JWM), Bookworm64, Fossapup23 & FossapupFire (LXDE/PCManFM). No savefiles, no fdrvs there. :thumbup:

rcrsn51

Post by rcrsn51 »

As a proof-of-concept, I bought a Laserjet P1005 printer plus toner and built a tiny driver out of the main foo2xxx package.

It works fine and can be easily converted to a network printer.

For the old Laserjet 1000-series, this is a simpler solution than using hplip.

tosim

Post by tosim »

@rcrsn51 Can you, PLEASE, post a link to that P1005 driver. Thank you in advance.

Sky Aisling

Re: HPLIP Print/Scan Drivers [SOLVED]

Post by Sky Aisling »

Where do I go to find help for making a driver for an HP printer work?
I think I have the correct driver. I accidently blew my Bionicpup64 distro up this week. Today I have to start a new setup. The driver shown in the screen shot is the driver that has worked without issue on the HP OfficeJet 4655 last week. There is now an error message showing when attempting to print; "waiting for printer to come available". See screenshots.
Thank you in advance.
Sky

CUPS-Printer-Driver1.png
CUPS-Printer-Driver1.png (386.57 KiB) Viewed 733 times
Last edited by Sky Aisling on Sun Jan 15, 2023 2:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
rcrsn51

Post by rcrsn51 »

How is this printer connected - by USB or network?

This does not look like a driver problem - CUPS cannot locate the printer.

If the printer is networked, have you used the correct IP address?

Sky Aisling

Post by Sky Aisling »

USB - it's plugged into computer via a USB connection. It's supose to also connect to wifi, but, I've never done that, not needed in my case.

rcrsn51

Post by rcrsn51 »

If CUPS could locate the printer to install it, CUPS should be able to find the printer when it sends a print job.

So I don't know what the problem is.

Is the printer off-line? Check in CUPS.

Sky Aisling

Post by Sky Aisling »

Hi rcrsn51,
I unistalled Firefox and re-installed the driver .pet then rebooted and all was well. ??? I have no idea how Firefox would be connected to this issue.
Whatever, I have a working printer now. Thank you, rcrsn51.

Sky

rcrsn51

How to install an HP Laserjet P1005 printer

Post by rcrsn51 »

The old 1000-series Laserjet printers like the P1005 have a unique feature. To cut costs, HP removed much of the internal processing hardware and replaced it with software run by the host Windows computer. They were briefly known as "winprinters".

To run under Linux, the host must download some firmware into the printer. This typically happens automatically over the USB cable by a udev-hotplug mechanism when the printer powers up. Then a CUPS driver handles the actual print job. The system described here is a variation and uses components from the foo2zjs printer driver project.

1. Attached below are 32bit and 64bit versions. Download the one that matches your Puppy, remove the fake .gz extension and left-click install it.

2. A few Puppies, like FossaPup64, require a patch. Update: This step has now been automated when you install the package.

3. Go to /usr/local/bin and locate the file hp-firmware-load-run. Drag it onto the desktop.

4. Connect the printer by USB and turn it on. Click the desktop icon. You will hear the printer initialize as it receives the firmware. This simpler "manual hotplug" method can optionally send the firmware over the network to a P1005 that is connected to a remote print server device.

5. Run CUPS and install the P1005 printer as usual. It should be at the top of the Models list as "HP LaserJet P1005 Foomatic/foo2xqx (recommended)".

6. Print something.

This system needs testing and feedback.

-----------------------

Attachments
hp-laserjet-p1005-foomatic-64bit_1_amd64.deb.gz
(243.96 KiB) Downloaded 38 times
hp-laserjet-p1005-foomatic-32bit_1_i386.deb.gz
(248.48 KiB) Downloaded 29 times
Last edited by rcrsn51 on Sun Jan 22, 2023 2:32 pm, edited 23 times in total.
tosim

Post by tosim »

Thanks for posting this. Asyou are aware, I have an HP Laserjet P005, (also an HP Laserjet 1022). I will dl the 2 you have listed, and try them out with FossaPup64, and give feedback.

rcrsn51

Post by rcrsn51 »

tosim wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 4:38 pm

(also an HP Laserjet 1022)

It appears that the 1022 does NOT require firmware and the plugin is optional, so it should work with the hplip-print-scan-3.22.10 package.

tosim

Post by tosim »

Thanks for that info.
Edit: Did exactly as described above, but does NOT PRINT. See attachment.

fromcups.png
fromcups.png (59.81 KiB) Viewed 910 times
rcrsn51

Post by rcrsn51 »

You used Step 4a and installed the printer using the foomatic driver.

With FossaPup, you must use Step 4b and pick the hpcups driver.

Cancel these bad print jobs. Reload the firmware. Print again.

tosim

Post by tosim »

Yes, I did that as thought I needed to install BOTH links you provided; my error. Will try again a little later.
Thanks for straightening me out.

rcrsn51

Post by rcrsn51 »

tosim wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 6:38 pm

Yes, I did that as thought I needed to install BOTH links you provided; my error. Will try again a little later.
Thanks for straightening me out.

You need both packages.

But in your screen-shot, you can see that you installed the printer in CUPS with the foomatic driver.

If you are using Fossapup64, you must pick the hpcups driver as described in Step 4b.

tosim

Post by tosim »

@rcrsn51 Followed exactly;however, a "nogo".

addprinter.png
addprinter.png (8.26 KiB) Viewed 831 times
choose.png
choose.png (31.71 KiB) Viewed 831 times
rcrsn51

Post by rcrsn51 »

You are selecting the 1005. You want the p1005 farther down the list.

tosim

Post by tosim »

@rcrsn51 OK, sorry about that dumb mistake on my part. Will wipe out and start anew. Thanks.

That did the trick; printing fine. THANKS A MILLION.

Return to “Drivers”