UEFI Only Boot Problems(Solved)

New to Puppy and have questions? Start here

Moderator: Forum moderators

number77

UEFI Only Boot Problems(Solved)

Post by number77 »

Hello
I have a Dell thin client Wyse 3040. Intel Atom x5 Z-8350 (Quad core). It only boots with UEFI according to Parky Towers and my tries. I do not understand UEFI so this is a problem to me. I have downloaded UEFI Installer flash drives.
I would like to make a usb boot with Preferably Xenial64 on but any other similar would be usefull.
I dont understand UEFI or UEFI installer so would really appreciate a little help so that I can make use of this Dell/Wyse 3040.
Help appreciated.
number77

Last edited by number77 on Mon Nov 28, 2022 6:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
number77

Re: UEFI Only Boot Problems

Post by number77 »

Sort of answered my own question.
I still don't understand UEFI but I tried UEFI installer usb and it is a brilliant program and was simple to follow and produced a UEFI bootable USB without problem. Not sure about having to use fat32 though.

wizard

Post by wizard »

You have not specified what OS you have available to create a USB, but you should be able to use xenialpup64-7.5-uefi.iso.
The Wyse list 2gb ram, so you could also consider Bionic64 or Fossapup64.

wizard

Big pile of OLD computers

rcrsn51

Post by rcrsn51 »

number77 wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 5:15 pm

but I tried UEFI installer usb and it is a brilliant program and was simple to follow and produced a UEFI bootable USB without problem.

For the benefit of other community members, please identify exactly what program this was and where you got it.

wizard

Post by wizard »

Not sure about having to use fat32 though.

Fat32 limits you to using only a save FILE (size limit 4gb) and not a save FOLDER, but it should be fine, certainly for experimenting. It is possible to create a UEFI boot USB that has an ext3 partition which could have a save FOLDER.

wizard

Big pile of OLD computers

Geek3579

Post by Geek3579 »

What OS booted with the UEFI Installer program ??

I would otherwise suggest running a live version of fossapup (somehow...) and using stickpup/frugalpup to install a frugal version of Xenialpup64 (from an ISO file) or whatever pup is suitable.

number77

Post by number77 »

I am running Xenial64 and uefi-installer is in PPM. I installed it and ran it and it did the rest and installed the usb key with my choice of iso. I chose Xenial64.
I did only want to boot the Dell/Wyse 3040 so that I could use gparted and delete the partions on it to be able to boot from usb key and not its internal OS.
Its a very unresponsive mini pc. I wanted to check boot time of Daphile on usb. As it's usb3 it is quite fast and the beauty of using usb key is it can be easily modified on a proper pc.

Thanks everyone for helping.
number77

knownuthin

Re: UEFI Only Boot Problems(Solved)

Post by knownuthin »

@ number77

Were you trying to utilize the USB stick or install to the Internal eMMc drive inside the Dell 3040.
I have a USB stick running fossa64 that boots and runs everything I want from the Dell 3040 with no problems using the UEFI installer.

However I can't get boot to happen if I move everything to the Dell 3040 eMMc drive using the frugalpup process.
I followed all the partitioning guides etc. and frugal install/boot process numerous times.
When I boot from internal drive, it fails telling me "fdisk can't find mmcblk0" which is the internal eMMc flash drive. Of course the grub loader lives on the first partition of mmcblk0 which is actually mmcblk1p1 partition. Since mmcblk0 cant be found, it cant find Grub2 or anything it's looking for and everything fails. So far I haven't found what I need to do to my Puppy fossa64 to get it to recognize the eMMc drive during boot.

I did a Debian 9.3 install to the Dell 3040 internal drive, it boots and runs fine. So I know Linux is capable of recognizing the internal Dell 3040 drive and I'm not required to run off a USB stick. Does anyone know is there a different/special "bootx64.efi" file needed for a Puppy install. Can't use Debian 9.3 as it's to bloated fit my needs.

I have read and tried all the suggestions on the forum numerous times but nothing works. The only thing I haven't done is change to a secured boot on the internal drive's bios. However Debian boots why not Puppy? I do see in the /EFI/Boot/ folder a "puppy.cer" is that telling me I MUST use a secure boot process for Puppy

Any enlightenment anyone?

bigpup

Re: UEFI Only Boot Problems(Solved)

Post by bigpup »

@knownuthin

Start a topic about your computer and issues.

It is very hard to provide help in a topic that is talking about two different people and their computers! :thumbdown:

Forum Global Moderator
The things you do not tell us, are usually the clue to fixing the problem.
When I was a kid, I wanted to be older.
This is not what I expected :o

Return to “Beginners Help”