Resized Tahrpup windows turn black / grey / gibberish-filled

Moderator: Forum moderators

doomcur

Resized Tahrpup windows turn black / grey / gibberish-filled

Post by doomcur »

I'm getting a problem in tahrpup with large areas of windows in some applications turning black, or occasionally grey, or sometimes into gibberish, when the window is resized.

Apparently this is quite a well-known fault in a number of Linux versions. A lot of people recommend disabling window animations, but
I'm not sure how to do this.

Here are some of the suggestions I've seen, and the reasons they're not working for me.

1. Change settings in Unity Tweak Tool.

Unity Tweak Tool seems to install but doesn't open. Same goes for Gnome Tweak Tool.

2. This command is alleged to help --

gsettings set org.gnome.desktop.interface enable-animations false

-- but then, it seems, you have to 'open run window' by alt F2 or win R, neither of which does anything.

Is there another way to open run window, perhaps from the command line? Bear in mind that there's no xrun file anywhere on this system and it's not available through ppm.

3. Reduce the amount of memory used by your video card.

I've no idea how to do this. I can't see anything that looks relevant in BIOS or JWM.

Any ideas, anyone?

geo_c

Re: Black / grey / gibberish-filled windows

Post by geo_c »

doomcur wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 9:34 am

I'm getting a problem in tahrpup with large areas of windows in some applications turning black, or occasionally grey, or sometimes into gibberish, when the window is resized.

Apparently this is quite a well-known fault in a number of Linux versions. A lot of people recommend disabling window animations, but

Here are some of the suggestions I've seen, and the reasons they're not working for me.

Unity Tweak Tool seems to install but doesn't open. Same goes for Gnome Tweak Tool.

-- but then, it seems, you have to 'open run window' by alt F2 or win R, neither of which does anything.

Is there another way to open run window, perhaps from the command line? Bear in mind that there's no xrun file anywhere on this system and it's not available through ppm.

I've no idea how to do this. I can't see anything that looks relevant in BIOS or JWM.

Any ideas, anyone?

I don't have any knowledge of tahrpup, but other pups can adjust the window animations by using the Picom Compositor settings, which are often found in settings>setup>graphics/screen wizard, or something similar.

geo_c
Old School Hipster, and Such

Phoenix

Re: Black / grey / gibberish-filled windows

Post by Phoenix »

doomcur wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 9:34 am

Any ideas, anyone?

This is normal due to ancientness and lack of RAM most likely. As well you could swap to video memory, for adjusting memory used by the video card that is in the BIOS only. https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Swap_on_video_RAM
However if you use an integrated graphic unit, the RAM is shared between CPU and GPU, so you can't do anything besides trying to minimize usage of the iGPU

IRC: firepup | Time to hack Puppy!

Return to “Tahr”