Post by Governor »

Tried Alsa sound wizard, but no luck.

Thanks!

geo_c

Re: No sound (fossapup64)

Post by geo_c »

Governor wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 4:00 pm

Tried Alsa sound wizard, but no luck.

For future posts, please give us as much information as seems relevant. In this case, what you saw and did in alsa sound wizard, what kind of machine you are on (laptop, desktop, etc) whether you're using built-in speakers, things of that nature.

But first, right click on the retrovol icon, the speaker icon in the right hand side of the tray, and choose 'multiple sound card wizard' to see if the sound card you're trying to use is listed. If you see it, single click it on the list, and click the select card/device button. Then click on test sound and see if you hear anything. If not, exit the wizard, and right-click the retrovol icon and choose 'settings.' Then from the settings menu click the 'hardware' tab. Add all the sliders from the right side to the left side, include the automute control, etc. Then click the apply button and exit.

At this point you can right click retrovol again and choose 'mixer' to adjust any levels. Unclick the 'automute enabled' and set it to 'disable.'

retrovol is quirky. but it does work when you get the hang of it.

Your sound card may need a driver not included in the fossapup build. So if you don't see anything that looks like your soundcard in the 'multiple sound card wizard' then the fix may be a little more problematic.

But like I said, we need to get as much info as possible.

geo_c
Old School Hipster, and Such

Governor

Post by Governor »

OK, I found out that it is Firefox that is soundless, I have sound in Pale Moon and if I play a downloaded video.
I discovered I can get tons of info from PupSysInfo. Which info is relevant?

Don't take life too seriously, you will never get out alive.

geo_c

Post by geo_c »

Governor wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 3:44 pm

OK, I found out that it is Firefox that is soundless, I have sound in Pale Moon and if I play a downloaded video.

Well if your getting sound from Palemoon, then your soundcard works with fossapup and things are looking good.

It's possible that on reboot firefox will work. It should work anyway. Newer browser are using pulse audio, but still work with alsa most of the time. I don't use firefox much, but I do use LIbreWolf, which is a firefox build. My sound works. So at the moment I don't have an answer for firefox. Try a reboot, but I see from your other post that you may have pupsave/installation issues to address first.

Last edited by geo_c on Thu Nov 17, 2022 1:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.

geo_c
Old School Hipster, and Such

Jasper

Post by Jasper »

Firefox may require PulseAudio to be installed to allow you to have audio playback.

viewtopic.php?t=4552

Governor

Post by Governor »

The retrovol icon disappeared after I ran JWMDesk Manager. I was unable to locate the retrovol app using pFind (apparently it only finds folders). If I click on Findrun, I can access ALSA sound wizard. Where is the retroval app?

Don't take life too seriously, you will never get out alive.

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

Jasper wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 7:26 am

Firefox may require PulseAudio to be installed to allow you to have audio playback.

viewtopic.php?t=4552

No, not the 'full' PulseAudio! What is required is 'apulse'; this is a PulseAudio 'emulator' library for systems - like Puppy - that use ALSA exclusively. It translates the PA system 'calls' into direct ALSA commands. Thus, it keeps those applications happy that expect to find PulseAudio on the system; they find what they're expecting to see, yet ALSA is able to directly do what's required of it.

Win-win..!

-------------------------------------

@Governor :-

A 64-bit 'apulse' package that will work with Fossapup64 can be obtained from OscarTalks' repo, here:-

http://smokey01.com/OscarTalks/apulse-0.1.13-x86_64.pet

That's a direct download link, BTW. You'll need to install the .pet, do a re-boot, then the Exec line of Firefox's launcher needs to have "apulse[space]" added to the beginning of the line. This tells Firefox to use the 'apulse' library when it launches.

Mike. ;)

Jasper

Post by Jasper »

Ooops :oops:

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

Jasper wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 5:05 pm

Ooops :oops:

^^^ :lol: :lol:

Simple enough mistake to make, mate. Nowt to apologise for, really. Almost everybody and his dog have been using PulseAudio for several years; it's mostly 'quirky' distros like Puppy, and the systemd holdouts - like Devuan - that really tend to use the 'apulse' emulator library.

In 99 cases out of 100, your statement would be perfectly correct. If you come to Puppy, especially from more mainstream distros, there IS summat of a learning curve.....in more than ONE respect! :D

Mike. ;)

bob93

Post by bob93 »

mikewalsh wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 12:58 pm

A 64-bit 'apulse' package that will work with Fossapup64 can be obtained from OscarTalks' repo, here:-

http://smokey01.com/OscarTalks/apulse-0.1.13-x86_64.pet

That's a direct download link, BTW. You'll need to install the .pet, do a re-boot, then the Exec line of Firefox's launcher needs to have "apulse[space]" added to the beginning of the line. This tells Firefox to use the 'apulse' library when it launches.

Mike. ;)

I tried this today to get sound on Firefox. Downloaded the pet, installed, rebooted, then launched Firefox with command

Code: Select all

apulse firefox

but it still has no sound

And the whole system has no sound now , testing with multiple soundcard wizard gets no sound. The test worked before

Fossapup64 9.5

mikewalsh

Re: No sound in Firefox (Fossapup64)

Post by mikewalsh »

@bob93 :-

O-kay. What I would do in your situation would be to uninstall the apulse .pet to start with.

Question; is this the original Fossapup64 that Phil Broughton released 3 years ago? That's the only one that actually uses ALSA in the same way that earlier Puppies used it. All of the later re-builds have been constructed from updated build-scripts on Woof-CE at Github..........and these have all now got the FULL PulseAudio package. Firefox should deliver audio OOTB on these builds.

So, to help US to help YOU, where did you download your Fossapup64 ISO from, please? This is important, and could be key to sorting this out for you. My guess is that you've actually got one of these later builds, and it sounds as though 'apulse' is interfering with the PulseAudio package...

Over to you. :)

Mike. ;)

cobaka

Post by cobaka »

@mikewalsh Hi Mike.

My situation. For many months I ran uPupBB64 with FireFox (and sound).
Puppy running on desktop Gigabyte MoBo. Sound delivered to external spkrs fr. 3.5mm h/phone jack on front panel.
FossaPup was recently installed to thumb-drive by MikeSLR's manual installation - drag & drop.
Of course the hardware is the same for Fossa and uPupBB
Now I'm answering your Q about version of Fossa.
Specifically: Do not know/May be able to find source of download. Certainly unclear at this moment

As reported in a posting below: I hear sound when I click "Test Sound".
In FireFox - no sound available from YouTube.
In PaleMoon - sound is available.

FossaPup downloaded 10th March this year. See date in screengrab below.
This may not help identify, but here is the folder (as installed).

FossaPup_directory.png
FossaPup_directory.png (118.04 KiB) Viewed 2716 times

Other info:

Sound-wizard_setting.jpg
Sound-wizard_setting.jpg (42.67 KiB) Viewed 2716 times

At the moment I haven't run: apulse FireFox (as suggested below).
Beginner here, just getting my feet wet.
Hope this helps. Screen-grabs above are a little confusing. Just read the foreground screen; ignore the background.
Cobaka

собака --> это Русский --> a dog
"c" -- say "s" - as in "see" or "scent" or "sob".

rockedge
Site Admin

Post by rockedge »

Definitely in a terminal try:
apulse firefox or run-as-spot apulse firefox

mikeslr

Post by mikeslr »

Which firefox? Was it 'built-in', e.g included in an adrv.sfs, ydrv.sfs, or the 'base.sfs' such that it was already present when you first booted Fossapup64? An installed pet? An installed deb? an SFS you downloaded, then SFS loaded? a portable? Where did you get it?

cobaka

Post by cobaka »

OK @mikeslr

I didn't supply enough detail. Sorry.

Let's try again. Details in the text file (attached).
In short I began by making a 'clean' installation.
I downloaded and installed FossaPup 9.5 from Ibiblio to a freshly formatted (small) thumb-drive.
I used puppy pkt manager to get/install FireFox (details in attached file).

Ran FireFox. Result: no sound. Have sound in PaleMoon.
Specifically I have not 'apulse' whatever. (but see below).
cobaka

Later: In bash I typed: apulse firefox
Firefox ran - I'm using it to type this. Ran YouTube. No sound.
What next? local time is 14:27

Comment: I have Mike Walsh's portable FireFox. Want to try that?
How can I 'unload' the FF I just downloaded/installed?

EXTRA Rebooted FossaPup. In bash I typed: apulse firefox
Saw this:

root# apulse firefox
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/usr/bin/lsb_release", line 95, in <module>
main()
File "/usr/bin/lsb_release", line 59, in main
distinfo = lsb_release.get_distro_information()
File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/lsb_release.py", line 398, in get_distro_information
distinfo = guess_debian_release()
File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/lsb_release.py", line 332, in guess_debian_release
rinfo = guess_release_from_apt()
File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/lsb_release.py", line 237, in guess_release_from_apt
releases = parse_apt_policy()
File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/lsb_release.py", line 216, in parse_apt_policy
policy = subprocess.Popen(['apt-cache','policy'],
File "/usr/lib/python3.8/subprocess.py", line 854, in __init__
self._execute_child(args, executable, preexec_fn, close_fds,
File "/usr/lib/python3.8/subprocess.py", line 1702, in _execute_child
raise child_exception_type(errno_num, err_msg, err_filename)
FileNotFoundError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: 'apt-cache'

Attachments
FF-installation_report_#2.txt
(1.44 KiB) Downloaded 83 times

ozsouth

Post by ozsouth »

@cobaka - your .txt file shows you have missing libraries. As they are standard firefox ones, I think your installation went wrong. Also, the fossapup ppm version will be quite out of date. I suggest you uninstall (from main menu, setup, puppy package manager, then uninstall, then firefox). Then use something more modern.

Last edited by ozsouth on Tue Jul 18, 2023 1:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cobaka

Post by cobaka »

Hello @ozsouth

I installed FossaPup (below) to test (or take part in) the topic 'FireFox without sound'.
MikeSLR asked "what version" of everthing did you use.
I made a full installation to establish/report the version of FossaPup and FireFox.

The installation didn't work and (following your method) I uninstalled F/Fox.
But my goal wasn't to get a F/Fox with sound - it was to document the process of F/Fox without sound (and find out why).

Now I'm writing this posting from FossaPup64 with an entirely different F/Fox.
Which F/Fox? The MikeWalsh portable64. I got it (from somwhere - months ago). Unpacked it. Ran it with uPupBB64.
Today I copied that (unpacked) folder to the new 'home' directory, clicked 'instal' and bingo!
I'm here/working with it. With sound.
One comment. When installed with uPupBB64 I got an entry: Menu -> internet -> Firefox.
It's not on the FossaPup menu.
But I haven't contributed to the "Q" about audio with F/Fox. I just got something working that was working before.

Like Kevin-07 I was just trying to be helpful.
cobaka.

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

@cobaka :-

Re; the lack of a Menu entry with my portables?

It's a very simple "fix", Les. Go into your Firefox-portable directory - wherever you have it located - and simply click on the 'MenuAdd' script. This sym-links the 'LAUNCH' script into /usr/bin & re-names it. A .desktop file and appropriate icon are copied into the expected locations, then the script runs

fixmenus

.....and re-starts JWM. When you click on the new Menu entry, the .desktop file calls the re-named sym-link in /usr/bin.....and fires-up Firefox.

Easy when you know how, though I do try to provide this information in each of the portable threads I've created over the years.

Hope that helps.

Mike. ;)

mikeslr

Post by mikeslr »

Just to clarify what happened, and why when searching for applications the first place to look is the Additional Software Forum.
Independent creators of applications such as mozilla don't publish for Puppy; they publish for Major Distros such as Ubuntu. Puppies do not include OOTB all the libraries (dependencies) that are included by a Major Distro. [Why include libraries for an application a User may not want?]. Even though PPM provided the link to the firefox pet you obtained from ibiblio that pet for whatever reason didn't contain all the dependencies.
Those who publish applications for Puppys include all the libraries required at least for the Puppy for which it was built. [For example, an application built for a 'Ubuntu' Puppy may not have all libraries needed for Slackos].
Mikewalsh's test-bed is a 'Ubuntu'. His portable firefoxes portables include (a) an extra-lib folder watchdog, fredx181 and he worked on to provide the necessary libs and (b) the LAUNCH script which starts the app with instructions to use those libs.

In the Browsers and Internet Section you'll also find my post, "extralibs for portablizing any 'mozilla' or Seamonkey", https://www.forum.puppylinux.com/viewto ... 613#p61613. Essentially, I flinched MikeWalsh's extra-lib package and published it separately so that (a) a user wouldn't be dependent on T'other Mike update schedule; (b) could 'role your own' mozilla-based web-browser if, for example, an older version of firefox was needed or (as I did with Waterfox-Classic) a firefox clone was wanted, https://www.forum.puppylinux.com/viewto ... 614#p61614. [Waterfox-classic is interesting as it can use both modern firefox addons and those created before firefox-quantum; well some of the latter].
If you examine my 'extra-libs' package, or the contents of 'extra-libs' in Mike's portable, you'll find it contains several of the libraries your attached text showed as missing.

bob93

Post by bob93 »

mikewalsh wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 8:16 pm

@bob93 :-

O-kay. What I would do in your situation would be to uninstall the apulse .pet to start with.

Question; is this the original Fossapup64 that Phil Broughton released 3 years ago? That's the only one that actually uses ALSA in the same way that earlier Puppies used it. All of the later re-builds have been constructed from updated build-scripts on Woof-CE at Github..........and these have all now got the FULL PulseAudio package. Firefox should deliver audio OOTB on these builds.

So, to help US to help YOU, where did you download your Fossapup64 ISO from, please? This is important, and could be key to sorting this out for you. My guess is that you've actually got one of these later builds, and it sounds as though 'apulse' is interfering with the PulseAudio package...

Over to you. :)

Mike. ;)

hi, I'd been away from Puppy. Apparently after restarting things have gone back to the starting situation, that is, system and all programs have audio but Firefox doesn't. I'm still interested in getting sound from it.

I've always download puppy ISOs from the puppy website AFAIR. But if there's a way to check let me know. I think I still have that ISO in a usb flash drive, perhaps it can identified that way.

Fossapup64 9.5

OscarTalks

Post by OscarTalks »

bob93,
Most of the recent Puppies have apulse built-in. If not, you can install it as a .pet package but don't do that if your Puppy already has it.
We need to know what Puppy you are talking about (FossaPup and Xenial64 are mentioned in your signature)
Then we need to know what Firefox you are using and where you got it from (there are many versions from many possible sources).
If you use Mike Walsh's portable I believe everything should be handled, but Firefox versions from elsewhere including Mozilla official builds should work including audio so long as you take the necessary steps to ensure that the apulse library is available to Firefox.

The apulse library may be located in a sub-directory such as /usr/lib/apulse so you have to make sure the library is given priority (because it is named as libpulse and you have make sure this one effectively overrides the system libpulse which is part of the inactive pulseaudio)
The wrapper /usr/bin/apulse does this, which is why simply calling "apulse firefox" should normally work.
But if this does not work, you have to investigate where the relevant pieces are in order to set up a wrapper which does the required task.

bob93

Post by bob93 »

OscarTalks wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2023 5:09 pm

bob93,
Most of the recent Puppies have apulse built-in. If not, you can install it as a .pet package but don't do that if your Puppy already has it.
We need to know what Puppy you are talking about (FossaPup and Xenial64 are mentioned in your signature)
Then we need to know what Firefox you are using and where you got it from (there are many versions from many possible sources).
If you use Mike Walsh's portable I believe everything should be handled, but Firefox versions from elsewhere including Mozilla official builds should work including audio so long as you take the necessary steps to ensure that the apulse library is available to Firefox.

oh, my signature was outdated. I now only use Fossapup64. As I said, I downloaded it from the Puppy linux page so I guess it's the official version. And Firefox I downloaded using puppy package manager, the package I installed is firefox_115.0+build2. I also just tried Mike's portable versions, both mainline and ESR, and they have no sound either.

OscarTalks wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2023 5:09 pm

The apulse library may be located in a sub-directory such as /usr/lib/apulse so you have to make sure the library is given priority (because it is named as libpulse and you have make sure this one effectively overrides the system libpulse which is part of the inactive pulseaudio)
The wrapper /usr/bin/apulse does this, which is why simply calling "apulse firefox" should normally work.
But if this does not work, you have to investigate where the relevant pieces are in order to set up a wrapper which does the required task.

There is a /usr/lib/apulse folder, and there's also the file /usr/bin/apulse
What should I look for next? How do I check the library is given prority, or that it's overriding what it needs to override?

Fossapup64 9.5

OscarTalks

Post by OscarTalks »

bob93 wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 9:37 pm

I also just tried Mike's portable versions, both mainline and ESR, and they have no sound either.
What should I look for next? How do I check the library is given prority, or that it's overriding what it needs to override?

I am a bit concerned that Mike's portables did not work for you. If you are starting them via his LAUNCH script I would expect everything to be handled, but if you have been experimenting with various versions and various configurations you may need to make sure that things are not interfering with one another. Keep one version of Firefox and make sure everything else has been removed.

Once you have one Firefox installed, the next thing I would want to know is where the main firefox folder (directory) is located. Is it at /opt/firefox or maybe /usr/lib/firefox ?
This directory should contain the firefox executable. Calling this (eg in terminal) starts the browser, but it will not be reading the apulse library so sound will not work.

The apulse library(s) are in /usr/lib/apulse which is a sub-directory so they will never be available or prioritised unless you have something which actually does this.

Do you have a file /usr/bin/firefox ? is this a script or a symlink or not present at all?

So for example, to put the apulse library(s) in a prioritised state and then launch the firefox executable (if in /opt/firefox):-

export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/lib/apulse:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH
/opt/firefox/firefox "$@"

As a test, paste that into terminal and see if Firefox starts and if the audio works
If it does, you can put this into a script named firefox in /usr/bin so you can start the working Firefox with the simple command "firefox" and then go on to set up a menu entry and any other launch mechanism in the normal way.

EDIT:- The above is for general information, with FossaPup best advice is to use QuickPet rather than PPM as suggested below.

Last edited by OscarTalks on Sun Jul 30, 2023 10:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bigpup

Post by bigpup »

How I get sound from Firefox installed in Fossapup64 9.5

Fossapup64 already has apulse installed and that is all that is needed to make Firefox think it is using pulse audio.

DO NOT INSTALL FIRFOX FROM PUPPY PACKAGE MANAGER (PPM)
The Firefox packages are too much built specifically for Ubuntu.

Use Quickpet program (icon on desktop)

Quickpet ->Browsers ->Firefox

This will download and install Firefox version 77 from a pet package made specifically for Fossapup64.

After you start Firefox, use it's internal update to update it to the latest version.
Just did this now at version 115.0.3

Sound working for me.

You do need to make sure sound is correctly setup in the Fossapup64 menu ->Setup ->ALSA sound wizard ->Sound Card Wizard

You have the system set to use the correct sound card and it's settings are correct. Sound test works.

The things you do not tell us, are usually the clue to fixing the problem.
When I was a kid, I wanted to be older.
This is not what I expected :o

bigpup

Post by bigpup »

I too wonder if you have your install of Fossapup64 all mixed up by stuff you have tried.

Try what I did using Fossapup64 booted not using a save.

The things you do not tell us, are usually the clue to fixing the problem.
When I was a kid, I wanted to be older.
This is not what I expected :o

cobaka

Post by cobaka »

@bigpup

Trying to duplicate the problem with FF+no sound.
Below - you mention QuickPet on the desktop.

I'm using S15Pup64. I can't see QuickPet. Gotta hint?
Can you help?

собака

I see puppy setup and Puppy Packet Manager across the top of the screen.
Trash can in over to the left.

OscarTalks

Post by OscarTalks »

cobaka wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2023 5:11 am

Trying to duplicate the problem with FF+no sound.
Below - you mention QuickPet on the desktop.
I'm using S15Pup64. I can't see QuickPet. Gotta hint?

Do you mean you are trying to duplicate the problem (of no sound) which you yourself don't have (why would you try to do that??)
Or do you mean you are experiencing the same problem in a different Puppy?
QuickPet is a feature which is included in some Puppies but not others
S15Pup does not have QuickPet, but does have Menu>Internet>Get Web Browser which will offer various browsers which are set up with everything needed to work fully in S15Pup in the same way as QuickPet will offer downloads of browsers which are set up to work fully in FossaPup.

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

@cobaka :-

You'll not find Quickpet in S15Pup64, Les. Quickpet was a utility exclusive to Phil B's line of 'buntu-based Pups; Tahr, Xenial, Bionic & Fossa. And it can't be a general, kennel-wide utility in any case, since it has to be re-written for the repos of the specific Pup it's included with.

Phil never touched Slackware, and he dropped off the radar quite some time ago.....

I think bigpup's usual instructions kind of assume that more people than not will be using one of the 'buntu-based Puppies (or derivatives thereof). And certainly, in your own case, you've always stuck with the 'buntu Pups up till now. You've had an abrupt change of heart, switching to Slackware..... :D

You'll also find Slacko Puppies tend to need more "cossetting" than usual, since they seem to come with less stuff installed, OOTB. That's been MY prior experience, anyway.

Mike. ;)

cobaka

Post by cobaka »

Hello @OscarTalks

I'm trying to duplicate the @bob93's problem with Fossa. But (thinking about this) I did it wrong. First @mikewalsh's message makes it clear I have the rigging tangled. Very briefly - I have two computers here. My 'normal' - uPupBB64. My 'test' PC - running "whatever". At the moment it's S15. That's why I have only PPM not QuickPet. I thought I had completely 'lost the plot' when I couldn't see QuickPet. Ha!

My plan: Install Fossa & Firefox on a thumb-drive (using S15). Then boot into Fossa from that 'clean' thumb. Then see if FF has sound. Before - I duplicated bob93's problem. Sound with Pale Moon, nothing with FF - but I couldn't document sources.
So I was in the process of doing that. If I can duplicate the problem - then it's unlikely to be in Bob's hardware.
It's some config thing in Fossa/Firefox.
cobaka

PS Ran into a really weird problem installing Fossa onto a thumb-drive. Booting process aborted. Don't give an answer here - I'm don't seek help. Except I'll say this: The bootloader correctly identified the boot device and then lost it. Again - don't reply to this point. I'm "just saying".

cobaka

Post by cobaka »

@mikewalsh & @OscarTalks

I'll dump S15 and re-install Fossa on the main HDD on PC #2.

(PC #1 is running fine after a 'service session'. Had truly 'weird' symptoms, then wouldn't boot. Re-greased the heat-sinking on the CPU. Had trouble re-fitting the heat-sink, but present CPU temps are +22 .. +26. Increases to +38 .. 40C (not F) when running YouTube.)

Just trying to duplicate @bob93's problem at the moment.

Bye!

Return to “Beginners Help”