EasyOS version 4.5.5 released

Moderator: BarryK

Berto

Re: EasyOS version 4.5.5 released

Post by Berto »

Hello everybody,

I've just installed (fresh on empty partition) Easy 4.5.5. It's working better than ever, but one thing is not perfect anymore: Solvespace doesn't start from the menu, it's working from terminal input, but I get an error.

solvespace-error.png
solvespace-error.png (16.66 KiB) Viewed 9828 times

I'm in mechanical engineering, solvespace is one of my most important programs and always worked well in EasyOS. Hehe, I know in Debian it doesn't work at all, in AntiX and Devuan not also in the 3.0 version. Thanks Barry, in EasyOS it works, just now I got this Error, dunno what it means.

ASUS EEPC, Intel Atom N450, Nvidia, 1GB

Regards,

Berto

ASUS Netbook, Intel Atom N450, Nvidia / ASUS Notebook Pro 78S, Core i7, Nvidia

BarryK

Post by BarryK »

I seem to recall Solvespace is a bit fussy about the GPU.

Right now I'm running the upcoming Kirkstone-series, on an AMD laptop. Solvespace starts ok from the menu.

From a terminal:

Code: Select all

# solvespace
SolveSpace!

...no complaints!

bugnaw333

Post by bugnaw333 »

@Berto

It runs on my HP Elitedesk 800 G1 USDT... :thumbup2:

Best regards,
Reynaldo

Attachments
Screenshot(74).png
Screenshot(74).png (40.68 KiB) Viewed 9795 times
Berto

Post by Berto »

@BarryK

okay, maybe a problem with my graphics, its just a netbook, but anyway in former versions of EasyOS I didn't get errors. However, thanks a lot ... its working, ignoring the error * hahaha.

Regards,

Berto

Berto

Post by Berto »

@bugnaw333

thanks for your reply. Well, I must let repair my *big' Laptop ASUS core i7, Nvidia graphics too. My screen is broken, but here in Philippines they can repair everything, even changing battery of cellphones that have non-removable batteries *lol*

OK na, its working - error or not, I can use solvespace.

Thanks again ....

Regards,

Berto

pp4mnklinux

Post by pp4mnklinux »

Hello:

I want to give it a try, it could be my new OS... let's see, but I have difficulties installing 4.5 in my system.

I followed all the instructions (obviously not... ) but although I can install it in a USB (using rufus, unetbooting...) when I follow the instructions to install in one of my hard drives is always an error.

- I extract files from the image, put them into a partitionm, I use grub4dos to prepare the menu.lst, its recognized as system, I restart, it boots, but after choosing my language for the keyboard it tells me it can find the .sfs file so it can't start ... (if I go to the installation directory, this file he cant find, is located there, so I don't know why it can't be found).

- I tryied copying the USB rufus created content (which works) into a folder, I used grub4dos to prepare the menu.lst but the same message.

I tryied.....

So in the end, I have this EASYOS system installed into a USB and boot from it when I wanna use (but the starting is slow) because I must choose keyboard each time I start it.

Any easy (as the OS, haha) solution suggested ???

Have a nice weekend.

CHEERS

Caramel

Post by Caramel »

pp4mnklinux wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 7:55 am

Hello:

I want to give it a try, it could be my new OS... let's see, but I have difficulties installing 4.5 in my system.

I followed all the instructions (obviously not... ) but although I can install it in a USB (using rufus, unetbooting...) when I follow the instructions to install in one of my hard drives is always an error.

- I extract files from the image, put them into a partitionm, I use grub4dos to prepare the menu.lst,

Could you give more information on the installation and the content of menu.lst, please ?

The kernel line needs the options rw, wkg_uuid (or wkg_dev) and wkg_dir

(Sorry for my english)

BologneChe

Post by BologneChe »

@pp4mnklinux
I use Balena Etcher or easyDD for the installation of the ISO on a USB key. For data persistence, you have the choice with the save icon on the desktop or at the end of the session. EasyOS is a wonder on USB!

Born to lose; live to win

don570

Post by don570 »

Caramel wrote:

Could you give more information on the installation and the content of menu.lst?

A frugal installation on a hard drive requires an ext4 partition on your hard drive which you will have to create if you have a Windows computer.
Then follow the instructions that BarryK has written...
https://easyos.org/install/easy-frugal- ... .,--amd64.

The menu.lst is described there.

don570

wacom driver problems

Post by don570 »

Bad news for wacom tablet users.
After carefully checking several times I have concluded that EasyOS version 4.5.5 and version 4.5.4
have a serious bug with the wacom driver .

1) GIMP crashes automatically when I try to use it with my tablet.
2) mtPaint will work with wacom tablet however the settings aren't saved between each session.
This is abnormal behaviour.

I reinstalled EasyOS version 4.5.3 and it worked with my wacom tablet. (see image)
So the problem started after version 4.5.3.

wacom.png
wacom.png (22.12 KiB) Viewed 9635 times
Berto

Post by Berto »

@pp4mnklinux

Hi, i dunno why many are using etcher and rufus, do as you like, but the easiest thing for usb is easy dd, or juust manually "dd if ... of /dev/sdb".

Me myself, I normally install directly on hdd: empty ext3 partition, then make a folder, named easy for example, put in the 3 files, ask blkid for the uuid,, then updating grub2 (in AntiX .. hehe, sorry shouldn't promote other systems, but in debian it's easiest and fastest to update grub).

To apologize, I am not using AntiX, only need it for Grub2, my one and only sys is EasyOS! even my wife and my daughter are using this as only OS.

Regards,

Berto

pp4mnklinux

Post by pp4mnklinux »

Thanks everybody for your help.

I tried to install it again, do a lot of tries, and in the end I decide to go to fossapup 9.6.

I will try other day and I will install EasyOs as frugal to use with the rest of my distros.

More Info.- https://forum.puppylinux.com/viewtopic.php?t=7888

Thanks a lot for your ideas.

Caramel

Differences betwenn EasyOS 4.5.5 et EasyOS 4.5.5 fr

Post by Caramel »

In EasyOS 4.5.5 FR (and for some previous releases), the icon Files (Fichiers in french) on the desktop open the /root folder instead of the /files folder.

In the english (original) release this bug is absent.

Amazingly there are some differences between the two releases (I mean between the respective easy.sfs in the working partition) other than the language.

I found a folder /usr/share/applications.in in the easy.sfs fr that is not in the original easy

Concerning the bug above, it seems derive from a line in /root/Choices/PuppyPin

<icon x="32" y="32" label="files" args="--dir=/files">/usr/local/bin/rox</icon>

in english

<icon x="32" y="32" label="Fichiers">/usr/local/bin/rox</icon>

in french. Note the args is missing.

Very strange!

esmourguit

Post by esmourguit »

Bonjour à toutes et tous,
@ Caramail

I found a folder /usr/share/applications.in in the easy.sfs fr that is not in the original easy

C'est dans ce dossier que se trouvent les fichiers de traduction du menu pour les applications. Et donc inutile pour la version originale.
Cdlt

Caramel

Post by Caramel »

@esmourguit

Merci pour l'information et surtout merci pour la traduction d'EasysOS!
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Thank you for the information and above all thanks for the translation of EasyOS in french!

Return to “EasyOS”