The state of computing and applications

jh4x0r

The state of computing and applications

Post by jh4x0r »

I remember Puppy Linux 4.1.2 like yesterday, it was easy enough for 13 year old me on my moms Pentium 4 machine to install, yet you could do every single thing you wanted including watching vids on gxine, for less than 100mb of an iso.

About 14 years later there are few mobile apps that fit into 100mb. Browsers non chalantly demand 4GB of ram. Even my 8GB RAM thinkpad ryzen 4500u machine sometimes would freeze and choke up on ram usage. The rushing of bootcamp developers and 3rd world developers for ex india into the industry seems to be causing some serious performance and usage problems. Where do you think computing is heading to?

Geek3579

Re: The state of computing and applications

Post by Geek3579 »

I remember when a 10MB HDD was $5000 or more. I used 100KB floppy disks instead. My first mac had a 40MB HDD. Despite these limitations I could do most of what I wanted back there then in the memory available, as programs were small. Now I do much, much more with the greater RAM and HDD sizes. The only downside is the growing complexity of Websites which dont really add much value IMHO. Go with the flow, and don't look back !

Return to “Off-Topic Area”