Why so few "New posts"?

Moderator: Forum moderators

Grey

Re: Why so few "New posts"?

Post by Grey »

Well, there are "legally" two points.
1. An incomprehensible situation with distros not quite (or at all) based on Puppy. Some believe that some should not answer in such topics, while others believe that even though this is a section of the forum, it is located on a common Puppy forum. Legally, the second group seems to be right. Conceptually, the first group is probably right.
2. Here the people say that there are few messages and posts. Is it possible to talk about the weather, wheat harvest, milk yields from cows in the conditions of a temporary "information vacuum"? Well, to keep the conversation going, to "relive the moment".

Fossapup OS, Ryzen 5 3600 CPU, 64 GB RAM, GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4 GB, Sound Blaster Audigy Rx with amplifier + Yamaha speakers for loud sound, USB Sound Blaster X-Fi Surround 5.1 Pro V3 + headphones for quiet sound.

fredx181

Post by fredx181 »

Grey wrote:

..... ..... Legally, the second group seems to be right. Conceptually, the first group is probably right.

Ok, both are right, simple as that ;) .
What's for me is discouraging, is when discussions between the 'Legally' and 'Conceptually' gets overheated to the point of hatefulness.

C'mon we're all Linux, work/play together where you can,
if you can't (e.g. because of differences),
then just don't ... that's the life.

amethyst

Post by amethyst »

Which "talented" people left because of the Off-topic section and which topics were the culprits? I can remember some heated discussion on Covid but that's abbout it...I do think there has been some serious friction between "developers" (or some who think they are real developers, I would call them builders) of different distributions and where their precious creations should be exposed (top/bottom or wherever on the forum). What really irritates me are those openly being negative and talking crap about the Puppy distributions and Puppy in general (on a forum called Puppy Linux Discussion Forum)...

Clarity

Post by Clarity »

amethyst wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 12:42 am

Which ...

New to this thread, I ask: @amethyst is your post designed for something constructive or is it just a mention//

PLEASE DO NOT TAKE THIS QUESTION WRONGLY...PLEASE.

It is not a question of which side, it merely one for trying to understand considering the prior total messages I am seeing in conjunction with the just-prior post.

P.S. This post by me in made respectfully for a clear view of intent and is NOT trying to prolong a bad discussion.

amethyst

Post by amethyst »

Clarity wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 1:54 am
amethyst wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 12:42 am

Which ...

New to this thread, I ask: @amethyst is your post designed for something constructive or is it just a mention//

PLEASE DO NOT TAKE THIS QUESTION WRONGLY...PLEASE.

It is not a question of which side, it merely one for trying to understand considering the prior total messages I am seeing in conjunction with the just-prior post.

P.S. This post by me in made respectfully for a clear view of intent and is NOT trying to prolong a bad discussion.

BOTH!!!

Clarity

Post by Clarity »

I hope this is a welcomed response: This is the "Puppy Linux DISCUSSION Forum".

By its title, it is a technical forum surrounding a type of Linux built and named Puppy. It would attract followers who have some concerns about this technical product, IMHO.

And, as is typical in any professional product developments, there will be those who have opinions of strategy, development, and issues that may not always match popular opinion.

If its about Puppy and members should shared these ideas as some/many/most will have application at some level of understanding. Thus, we should welcome and consider alternative ideas, not to mention that everyone does not express the same ideas the same way due to human style differences.

But, if it addresses the technicals of Linux with efforts to attempt its similar desktop designs then we should consider itdeas that might be different from traditional approaches. If those prove validity in scope most products will adapt or will create alternatives under the same monocle. Otherwise they will not be capable os supporting evidence necessary for adoption of the idea/approach.

This is a technical forum and its discussion SHOULD cover those things directly or indirectly pertaining to Puppy Linux, in its Technical Forum.

Sometimes, we will have to be a bit open minded and seek understanding based upon some evidence whenever possible.

Just some thoughts on behaviors that sometimes surface as emotionally based.

d-pupp

Post by d-pupp »

I think maybe the reason there are fewer posts is because puppy work well out of the box. Also there is a lot of information already on the forum and I can find most of what I need without posting. Also people are just more computer savvy, they are just use to looking stuff up.

Fossil

Post by Fossil »

Technology marches on! First the rise of the desktop, then the laptop. Mobile phones were still in their relative infancy minus all the mind-capturing items of today. A computer was expensive, secondhand items or hand-me-downs were usually under-powered lacking in enough RAM and onboard storage. A small lightweight operating system was a godsend. Wasn't the first Puppy Linux offered up in small zipped-together packages to be downloaded over a normal phone line prior to being reconstituted as a working system? I do recall finally downloading a very low number (0.9 perhaps?) and having fun configuring it. Remember, this is only twenty years ago, but the equivalent to the start of the Eocene in the electronic era.
In today's world just about everyone is immersed within their mobile phone; who has time to fiddle with a computer operating system? PS. I do not own a mobile phone. Don't need one, don't want one!

wiak

Post by wiak »

Funnily enough I am using a hi-end mobile phone reading the above post and typing this. The typing part is a nightmare...!!!

https://www.tinylinux.info/
DOWNLOAD wd_multi for hundreds of 'distros' at your fingertips: viewtopic.php?p=99154#p99154
Αξίζει να μεταφραστεί;

Clarity

Post by Clarity »

Last year, I moved from a Moto X4 to a Pixel 6 because I had exhausted Storage.

For many years, I connect to SAMBA services on PC(s) to move information (aka data) wirelessly when necessary: I never use USB wires for any PC use as it is NOT necessary I also have a DLNA PC on my home LAN for multimedia needs as well as multimedia served from SAMBA PC. There are several Android filemanagers I like which allows my phones to participate on my LAN as if it too, is a PC of sorts. This allows consistent knowledge and use within the home for all of the home needs.

A brief note to us 'old'people(s): Use the phone's ability for Voice typing as much as you can. I teach this as a advance level PC class when I help seniors understand how to set and talk to their phones for dialing, messaging, app activations, documentation in emails, and etc. Funny once they learn, they take off in attempts to outdo their/our kids. :D

Ha....an old guy who knows how to talk to his phone to do things...Kids go WOW! 8-)

Grey

Post by Grey »

Clarity wrote: Sat Mar 04, 2023 1:29 am

talk to their phones for dialing, messaging, app activations, documentation in emails, and etc. Funny once they learn, they take off in attempts to outdo their/our kids. :D

Be careful :)
I understand when these functions are used by a disabled person. But when a healthy person, it is either a sign of huge laziness, or a degenerating human population. At first I don't want to get up and turn off the light in the room, then I'm too lazy to get up at all... This is the beginning of the end ;) And it all starts with trying to amuse someone.

Fossapup OS, Ryzen 5 3600 CPU, 64 GB RAM, GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4 GB, Sound Blaster Audigy Rx with amplifier + Yamaha speakers for loud sound, USB Sound Blaster X-Fi Surround 5.1 Pro V3 + headphones for quiet sound.

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

@Clarity :-

Computers have been around, in one form or another, for my entire life. To the best of my knowledge, every new generation that's come along during my 60-odd years has been the same; brimming with self-confidence, convinced they'll live forever, and equally convinced that their generation is the only one that really understands new technology. Certainly, in each generation they're invariably the ones that make greatest use of such, and almost always display the greatest number of "early adopters".

I should know; I used to be just the same.....more years ago than I care to remember. But I also learnt caution, too; I got "bit" a few times by new tech that disappeared as quickly as it came, and adopted more of a wait-and-see policy; let it stick around for long enough for bugs to get sorted before investing.....and indeed, to wait long enough to see if it WOULD "stick around" (and not just be a flash-in-the-pan).

No real reason kids should be surprised that their grandparents are making use of the same technology they themselves use so freely. I mean.....why not??

Mike. ;)

Puppy "stuff" ~ MORE Puppy "stuff" ~ ....and MORE! :D

stevie pup

Post by stevie pup »

mikewalsh wrote: Sat Mar 04, 2023 3:26 am

But I also learnt caution, too; I got "bit" a few times by new tech that disappeared as quickly as it came, and adopted more of a wait-and-see policy; let it stick around for long enough for bugs to get sorted before investing.....and indeed, to wait long enough to see if it WOULD "stick around" (and not just be a flash-in-the-pan).

Very sensible Mike. You know how some kids have to be first on the block with everything? Well I always used to be LAST on the block with everything, for exactly the reasons you state.

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

stevie pup wrote: Sat Mar 04, 2023 2:37 pm
mikewalsh wrote: Sat Mar 04, 2023 3:26 am

But I also learnt caution, too; I got "bit" a few times by new tech that disappeared as quickly as it came, and adopted more of a wait-and-see policy; let it stick around for long enough for bugs to get sorted before investing.....and indeed, to wait long enough to see if it WOULD "stick around" (and not just be a flash-in-the-pan).

Very sensible Mike. You know how some kids have to be first on the block with everything? Well I always used to be LAST on the block with everything, for exactly the reasons you state.

@stevie pup :- Heh. Yeah, with some things that described me, too. Viz; optical disc players appeared on the market around 1983, okay? I didn't invest in my first CD player until 2001....at which point, disc players were being obsoleted by - and in favour of - solid-state MP3 players! I almost missed the boat on that one, though I still make use of them in computing.

I'd just bought a replacement tray-loader for the old Compaq desktop shortly before it died in early 2020. I'm using it to this day with the new HP, as an "external" via a USB3.0-to-SATA3 adapter cable. It's infinitely preferable to the dreadful, flimsy 'laptop-style' drive HP have seen fit to saddle this thing with. Talk about "tilly-willy"! And in use, it whines just as though there were an angry hornet trapped in the case.... :shock: :D

Mike. ;)

Puppy "stuff" ~ MORE Puppy "stuff" ~ ....and MORE! :D

Clarity

Post by Clarity »

Merely a thought for ponder

In my lifetime I have come to understand a very few things. NOT much in my eyes, but few in the grand scheme.

EVERY PC generation comes as a NEW freshly developed experience. Even if you pick one from a discard pile, it presents a NEW freshly developed experience to the picker.

EVERY forum distro that is presented is a NEW freshly developed experience. Even if you pick one that was developed years ago and prop it onto your PC, it presents a NEW freshly developed experience to the picker.

The concept of whether one waits and uses something they consider early is not something to be regarded as a plus. This merely shows a tendency in a behavior pattern. We ALL have patterns. And some of us are critical of others because their pattern is different than ours.

I find in my limitied knowledge that one, anyone of us, chooses something whether new or old because of some potential benefit we might gain from having that...whatever 'that' is. So whether you acquire something new, or fresh to you, the concept should be the same....Can I gain benefit from the item/knowledge?

That is why we're human. NOT whether we have a behavior pattern.

This is just a thought for ponder on WHY we do things. (Looking at the 1st word of this thread)

stevie pup

Post by stevie pup »

@Clarity Some interesting comments you've made there, and while I agree that we all have behaviour patterns other factors can change those patterens. My behaviour changes with the weather! I'll give an example - Let's say I'm comparing 3 Linux distros (irrespective of whether or not any Puppies are included) and the results are as follows:

First one is 95% perfect straight out of the box. Just needs one extra bit of software installing to suit my needs, and a couple of minor tweaks in the settings to suit my personal taste.
Second one is ok, but there's an awful lot of software I'm going to have to change and numerous things to do with settings. I could make it just as good as the first one, but it's going to take quite a lot of time.
Third one fails miserably. I get a load of error messages straight off then the thing won't even boot up. So no telling what's wrong with this one, and how much work it's going to take.

So which one am I going to use? Well, if it's middle of summer when I'm out and about a fair bit, and got plenty of other things to do rather than messing around with computers I'll use the first one, the one that's almost perfect to start with. But if it's middle of winter and I can't really be bothered to go out in the freezing cold, and I've got a lot more time on my hands, then I'll perhaps devote some time to the other two.

Even if everyone else had similar behaviour patterns would it have any noticeable effect on forum activity? I would think not, simply because when it's summer here it's winter on other side of the world, and vice versa, so I would expect things to balance out.

And if my behaviour makes me "human" I'll take that as a compliment. :D

Return to “Announcements”