Why so few "New posts"?

Moderator: Forum moderators

tosim

Why so few "New posts"?

Post by tosim »

Every morning I click on "New Posts", and am greeted, usually, with 1 or 2 pages of them. This morning, Wednesday, there were ONLY 2 new posts! What's happening?????

sonny

Re: What's happening?

Post by sonny »

Only two posts happened

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

@tosim :-

tosim wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 6:17 pm

Every morning I click on "New Posts", and am greeted, usually, with 1 or 2 pages of them. This morning, Wednesday, there were ONLY 2 new posts! What's happening?????

I wouldn't worry too much about it, mate. Every year I've belonged to this forum, we get a spell like this.....regular as clockwork, usually in the autumn.

I, too, have noticed it's gone a bit slow. It's swings & roundabouts, TBH; you get busy spells, you get quiet spells. Happens on every other forum I belong to, as well.

Doesn't indicate anything's wrong.

Example; LinuxQuestions.org. One of the biggest reasons that site seems as busy as it does is in large part due to the fact that it's considered to be the "home" of Slackware. Slackware don't have their own forums at all. Most of the other distros represented in the 'Distros' sub-section have their own forums; Slackware doesn't, so the 'Slackware' sub-section has become THE Slackware Forum...

You remove all the Slackers from the mix, LQ.org's traffic would halve overnight..! :o

Mike. ;)

Puppy "stuff" ~ MORE Puppy "stuff" ~ ....and MORE! :D

sonny

Post by sonny »

I must confess that I have a "love-hate" relationship with Puppy. I adore its divine power and utmost freedom. I despise its addictive power, which drags me into the "dark abyss". After dedicating PuppyUSB to my fellow screenwriters out there, I'm hoping to be able to focus on writing rather than cuddling with Puppy...

bigpup

Re: Why so few "New posts"?

Post by bigpup »

I think some of it is because this forum now has some very good info, about how to do stuff, fix stuff, where to get stuff, etc...........

A lot of the issues, problems, questions, have a topic, with the answer. so no need to start a new post.

Also, Puppy releases are getting much better about just working!

Where I am on the earth, I notice specific times, when there is different amounts of new posts.
Right now, it is 7PM my time and not much new posts.
If I check back, say 1AM, there will usually be many more new posts.

Forum Global Moderator
The things you do not tell us, are usually the clue to fixing the problem.
When I was a kid, I wanted to be older.
This is not what I expected :o

MochiMoppel

Post by MochiMoppel »

tosim wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 6:17 pm

You've probably logged out shortly before.
"New Posts" means "New posts since last log out", so if you see a long list of "New Posts", log out and immediately log in again, the list will be empty.

This list has a funny title as it doesn't display posts, it displays topics (with new posts).
IMHO "Active topics" is much more useful. Same layout as "New Posts" but doesn't require to log in.

tosim

Post by tosim »

Thank y'all for your replies.

tallboy

Post by tallboy »

This is an old thread, I have read it earlier, but I have not found the words for a comment. I had 1760 recorded posts in murga-linux, but it felt like many more. I have 33 posts in this forum. The old forum was fun, and friendly, I think it was quite unique in the way it's members treated each other. To me, this is not a forum that give me that same feeling, and a place to belong to. I read posts without any passion, without logging in, and I don't feel that I have much to write about, so therefore few new posts from me.
Please don't comment this post, I am only giving my personal reasons for few new posts.

tallboy

rockedge
Site Admin

Post by rockedge »

The old one broke and few cared as it began to show errors and no one moderated or administrated the site. New registration was broken.

Very few of the original forum's membership made the transition. Puppy Linux now 20 years old itself has changed.

@tallboy Since I take your comment personally and I can and will respond. I put a lot of work into resurecting and keeping this stuff alive.....

Sorry it doesn't meet your expectations. Perhaps I should have left up to you and all those good guys to keep it all going and pay for the fun as well.

bigpup

Post by bigpup »

You will never make all people happy!

But you do make 99.9% of us happy!!

Forum Global Moderator

wiak

Post by wiak »

The nostalgic suggestion that the old forum was a peaceful environment is but a myth. Overall it was much the same.
Most of the often aggressive posts that occurred on old forum were in offtopic area, which needed login, and so I can't include any of the tons of examples. The following is just tiny sample from 'normal' threads. The claimed peaceful Utopia never existed, sorry. Maybe depended what 'side of the fence' you appeared to be on. If a Puppy Linux fan probably fine. If working on or interested in alternatives, you'd often face gang attacks from Puppy side. C'est la continuing vie.

Forum post numbers on the other hand... well so much good choice out there. How many active users of Kennel distros left at the moment I wonder. Only Puppy is major advertised and maybe not attractive to most Linux users any more? So many great alternatives out there, which was not the case 15 years ago or so when Puppy was in its hayday. Matter of opinion of course.

THE FOLLOWING ARE BUT A FEW OF SUCH POSTS FROM THE OLD FORUM

#19 Post by Drone-87401 » Mon 22 Feb 2010, 06:49

First off, my part with Puppy Linux is done; I'm out - I only host peoples files. As for whining? No, I am not whining; I am just issuing a warning to new users about the "jerks" that lurk around the IRC (where help is supposed to be dispensed) and just give innocent people hell. I don't care about Murga or Barry for that matter at all; all they had a hand in is creating a stripped down linux version - so in that aspect I don't care. MyPuppyLinux is simply a blog & hosting site (as it host about 374 members blog sites.) Like Mr. Alienjeff, we all have the freedom of speech (wheter it be good or bad) I am just stating my opinion. The first time I ever got on the IRC my race, language and family were made fun of; and called negative names by him so as far for him I have no love lost. Secondly it was because of his attitude that he lost the Puppy Linux community a great service with my hosting services (over 417 accounts have now been turned away at mypuppylinux.) As long as the powers that be allow him to act like an idiot and use profanities at people I will never have a part with Puppy; I'll stick to a real dsitro such as Ubuntu (Alienjeff free.)
================================================================
Re: Whodo/Warren Has left puppy
#118 Post by yorkiesnorkie » Mon 22 Jun 2009, 14:33

ttuuxxx wrote:
I for one want the forum administrators to kindly think about banning indefinitely the user "Ecomoney" he has broken the last straw in my eye, Its 100% because of him that Warren has asked for his account to be suspended and also that warren has resigned from package coordinator.
Woah there ttuuxxx. I disagree. There are all sorts of people in the world. Sometimes you just have to step back and agree that you'll disagree. Even some of the most difficult people do have something valid to say. Part of the open in open source is a respect for what others contribute even when they disagree with you.
=================================================================
#102 Post by MU » Wed 17 Jun 2009, 22:25

I know well, why I refused to take over the role of a project coordinator.

I was moderating a famous german Linux forum for 10 years.
When the provider decided to shut down the forum system because of the increasing surveiance by the german government (with lots of visits from the police because of other forums), I decided, not to switch to another provider.
Instead, I decided to let "die" 10 years of free support in germany.
But the political background is just one reason.

The other one is, that over the years, I became somewhat "desillusionated" about people in the web.

My own "rule" is to try to find quiick solutions, and to avoid endless discussions. If I cannot convince someone quickly about my ideas, then I leave him, and concentrate again on my work.

Many other people see this different.
It would be too simple, to accuse Rob, as this is a widespread mentality, to insist on own oppinions.

I was aware, that this problem would occur in some form, as I remembered well the disputes we had a wile ago concening the Puppylinux foundation.

So I was aware, that a coordinator will have to spend a lot of time in replying to messages, that do not really interest him.
Hey - I just was away one week - and it is impossible to read all messages since then (1000?).
This can create a very high amount of "stress" (? german), as I know from the discussions in my german board. Responsible people quickly get burned out, and (must) flee from the situation, to keep their integrity intact.

I have no solution for this problem.
Maybe it would help, to "spread the load". Use 3 coordinators instead of one.
No idea. Just some thoughts.

Warren - thanks for all of your work. I would be glad, if you stay.

Banning - not so good, people often get even more upset, you can generate "stalkers" like this. And they could register under different names.
====================================================================
Re: A message to saintless
#303 Post by saintless » Mon 21 Nov 2016, 20:35

mikeslr wrote:
Dear Toni,
Dear mikeslr,

Where were you when fredx181 and friends made fun of me? Or when I was insulted?
Why didn't you post your wisdom in such "productive" replies like here or there for example?
Every of my answers is a result of fredx181 provocation in some of my threads (including my last post today).
I understand it is hard for him to admit the truth but I posted his own deleted words.
Instead preaching me, why don't you tell him to turn the other chick? Or to leave me alone and not to make fun from what he and his new friends did to me?

Hi emil. Nice to see you and I'm sorry you have to read this. I also hope this will stop but it is not all my fault. It takes two to tango.

Toni
======================================================================
Wed 09 Nov 2011, 06:39

Hi,

The Truly off-topic" area is now not visible unless you are a registered user.

This is to prevent some of the abuse that has been occurring of late.

And considering that it is a place for regular forum users to interact I feel that the change makes sense.

Cheers
======================================================================
#72 Post by wiak » Wed 06 Jun 2018, 17:54

I have read a comment posted elsewhere that indirectly suggested that gtkwialog used with bash, when the underlying /bin/sh is dash is somehow in some way unsafe or prone to failure. That comment is false. Gtkwialog is simply more flexible than legacy gtkdialog in a way that allows it to be safely used by someone who prefers to use the more powerful bash programming language (no matter what the underlying system shell is).

Gtkwialog, in that sense, is simply a better Gtkdialog, which did prevent the use of many of bash's powerful features when underlying shell was the likes of dash or ash. Gtkwialog removes that limitation. Bash was designed for the purpose of writing more sophisticated scripts and there is nothing unsafe about bash (despite some using the word bashisms as an attack on a perfectly good language when used correctly via a bash interpreter, which gtkwialog, unlike gtkdialog, allows).

Neither code protectionism or jealousy are ever a good reason to attack developments and progress by others in that underhand negative and more than potentially misleading manner. If a person has no interest in this project, that is fine, but misleading others about its potential or value is not, which is more than just having a different opinion. Get your technical facts straight and correct (rather than twisted) if you are going to state them in that manner, for whatever your 'personal' reasons may be.
=======================================================================
#90 Post by nosystemdthanks » Thu 07 Jun 2018, 09:20

i dont know how much of it is misunderstanding and how much of it is intended to be discouraging.

this is the most pro-remix community i know, but sometimes you stumble into a sacred cow and people start getting out torches and pitchforks.
=======================================================================

https://www.tinylinux.info/
DOWNLOAD wd_multi for hundreds of 'distros' at your fingertips: viewtopic.php?p=99154#p99154
Αξίζει να μεταφραστεί;

dogcat

Post by dogcat »

tallboy wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 10:31 pm

This is an old thread, I have read it earlier, but I have not found the words for a comment. I had 1760 recorded posts in murga-linux, but it felt like many more. I have 33 posts in this forum. The old forum was fun, and friendly, I think it was quite unique in the way it's members treated each other. To me, this is not a forum that give me that same feeling, and a place to belong to. I read posts without any passion, without logging in, and I don't feel that I have much to write about, so therefore few new posts from me.
Please don't comment this post, I am only giving my personal reasons for few new posts.

tallboy

Very true as evidenced by the replies to your simple observation and reason for not posting.

μακάριοι οἱ δεδιωγμένοι ἕνεκεν δικαιοσύνης, ὅτι αὐτῶν ἐστιν ἡ βασιλεία τῶν οὐρανῶν.

wiak

Post by wiak »

dogcat wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 6:53 am
tallboy wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 10:31 pm

tallboy

Very true as evidenced by the replies to your simple observation and reason for not posting.

I don't see the 'evidence' you suggest in your judgement. There have only been four posts including your own since that of tallboy. My own post 'evidence' was posts from the OLD FORUM, not this one.

My only suggestion to those who criticise this forum, complaining about lack of posts, is that you put in the hard work involved in developing (or helping to develop) something, which admittedly might take you hundreds of hours of research and labour. Then publish your work since it is published work that results in productive threads and posts - side swipe complaints just waste every active contributor's time and energy; best not to indulge yourself in that behaviour. But it was an endemic behaviour pattern on the old forum too, as my actual post 'evidence' reveals.

DOWNLOAD wd_multi for hundreds of 'distros' at your fingertips: viewtopic.php?p=99154#p99154
Αξίζει να μεταφραστεί;

dimkr

Post by dimkr »

Are you suggesting that this kind of behavior was common in the old forum, therefore we should criticize each other's work and suggest that work done by others is irrelevant and uninteresting (without providing evidence like SEO data)?

wiak

Post by wiak »

dimkr wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 7:31 am

Are you suggesting that this kind of behavior was common in the old forum, therefore we should criticize each other's work and suggest that work done by others is irrelevant and uninteresting (without providing evidence like SEO data)?

Read into it what you want (there was no 'therefore... blah blah' in anything I said - your words your mouth only). I merely posted a sample of posts from the old forum to counter any suggestion it was some kind of idyllic utopia back then. All a matter of perspective and what distro or distros you tended to prefer it seems to me. Either way, the number of new posts are whatever they are. Post more if you want more posts I suppose.

Αξίζει να μεταφραστεί;

dimkr

Post by dimkr »

History lessons and historical anecdotes are nice, but a person said the old forum felt friendlier. Do you truly believe that pointing at bad behavior in the old forum to demonstrate its flaws encourages people to post more in this forum? This is self sabotage.

Grey

Post by Grey »

dimkr wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 7:54 am

History lessons and historical anecdotes are nice,

I am a big (but modest :) ) expert in this matter. It is such things that should be given as examples to explain all the stuff on the forum.
----------|
From recent real-world examples. On one of the Russian torrent trackers, a person posted repacks of software for Windows (Adobe, Microsoft, etc).
The moderator seems to have changed something in the release without asking. A skirmish with the moderator began, then a correspondence with the second.
Unfulfilled promises, dashed hopes, bitter resentment.

Some users started giving advice, others did not understand what was going on at all (but they still gave advice :) ).
For example, I just crossed myself and thanked the Gods for switching to free software analogues (Hello, Inkscape :P !).

And what do you think happened next (that's what my Jewish friend from at that time still a Soviet city Odessa (now Ukrainian) liked to say in the 90th year with a characteristic dialect)?
Everyone quarreled. And the repack builder puts his builds on another torrent tracker.
And in EVERY :roll: new release, he still has an .info file attached, in which he speaks unfavorably about the offenders and gives a link to the "proof" of his rightness - a page on which the chronology of events is collected. And since his repacks are very popular... then the whole of Russia is forced to delve into all this @#$&...

And all these, mind you, are intelligent people :ugeek: Who are usually MUCH more touchy than not very intelligent people.

Fossapup OS, Ryzen 5 3600 CPU, 64 GB RAM, GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4 GB, Sound Blaster Audigy Rx with amplifier + Yamaha speakers for loud sound, USB Sound Blaster X-Fi Surround 5.1 Pro V3 + headphones for quiet sound.

amethyst

Post by amethyst »

We didn't have as many egoists on the old forum. Seems to be a lot of criticism and "mine is better than yours" and "look at me" on this forum. Generally an unfriendlier and more unpleasantness feel to this forum. Of course it's the people on the forum that makes it so, nothing to do with the setup of the forum itself, I think. When I registered on the old forum (that must have been around 2005) the place was great. I knew nothing about Linux and the way the forum members helped and communicated with especially newcomers was excellent. A member like mikeb (not here anymore) was a great tutor and wonderful to work with. Just an all round good bloke who happened to be very knowledgeable. The good old days....

backi

Post by backi »

@amethyst wrote:

...... Generally an unfriendlier and more unpleasantness feel to this forum.

I do not (would not) take it that much personally .....
...Maybe it has something to do with that Times are generally getting rougher :shock: ....so one have to adapt to it and also become more tougher/resistant .

This Forum and it`s Projects ..... by all it`s minor Quarrels....... is still a full Success Story :thumbup:
(LINUX HALL OF FAME Candidate)

.....so nevertheless .....keep on rocking ....you Guys........
...and Girls :thumbup2:

rockedge
Site Admin

Post by rockedge »

We didn't have as many egoists on the old forum

Now that is funny. Far from the truth in my experience. @amethyst Remember when... is the name of this game?????

Should I share my experiences and "correspondence" during the time of trying to organize an attempt at keeping the Forum going at all?????

Plenty of ego spilling out all over the place.....as matter of fact I have some tasty examples from that period. though I'm sure I won't need to since you should know what I mean.

Digging deep into the databases to convert them I found posts from day 1 of the old forum that had crap flying with John Murga (RIP) himself involved so i don't know what the need to glorify and sanitize the past is.

The good old days... sounds to me just like the political garbage like "make America great again"....which great? The slave state one or the war mongering economy crushing one?

Ahhhhh the kids these days.......

rockedge
Site Admin

Post by rockedge »

Does anyone remember why John Murga set up the Off Topic section????? Some punches flying around caused him to address it........

All there to see right now if one digs into the past.

p310don

Post by p310don »

The original question and the hijacked theme are intertwined.

Why aren't there so many new posts?
Because stuff "just works" so much better than before. Remember when you had to chose between PS/2 mouse, USB mouse etc just to get a desktop. Wifi used to be an absolute chore in puppy, now it's a breeze. The best browser in the past was seamonkey, now you can use anything you want. For basic users, puppy does anything with ease. Why post if there isn't a problem? Back in the good old days when nothing worked that great, you could log onto murga every day and have 4 or 5 pages of stuff to trawl through. Now stuff does work great, there's less problems to discuss.

Then the theme of this forum being less friendly... There are less people here than on the old murga, probably because you had to get forum help in the past. The forum is a victim of Puppy's evolution. As a basic user, sorry @rockedge , your forum isn't as needed. Rewind a decade, as a basic user, you absolutely needed to forum to figure out how to do basic things.
That leaves the people who are here as more advanced users. I don't know that anyone is unfriendly, although we have all seen a few tiffs, usually over O/T stuff, covid, ukraine etc. I reckon the forum is not less friendly, but it is a little less inviting to a noob, because it's a bit more advanced.

There's always going to be clashes of egos, ideas, thoughts and feelings in a large group. Who cares. Grown ups can deal with that right, if they want to be a part of things.

I for one am glad that this forum lives on. Glad that @rockedge made it work, and glad that the oldforum still exists, again thanks to rockedge (and a little bit to me).

ps, happy birthday for the other day Erik

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

@p310don :-

^^^ 100% agree, mate. Couldn't have put it better myself.

The only thing I'll add is this; belonging to quite a number of Linux forums, I've noticed one thing.....and that is that fora everywhere are "quieter" than they were, say, 10 years ago. Not because folks are any less interested, but because the landscape has changed. These days, it's all "happening" on social media instead.

Which lets me out; I don't even possess a smartphone, 'cos I'm simply not interested in carting t'internet around with me everywhere I go. And I have NO time for social media. Life is for living; internet browsing has its 'slot' in my daily schedule - actually, several small slots, due to my occupation as a carer! - but outside of that, I do have other stuff to take care of.

And yes; since most of Linux, including all the distros covered by this forum, works so much better than it once did, there's probably no need for folks to post to anything like the same degree they used to.

Of course you'll get clashes of opinion, personality, etc. It's to be expected; all fora are but a microcosm "snapshot" of society in general. But thanks are due to everyone here who contributes to the development of the various OSs we cover, regardless of what they're based on or how they function. A lot of hard work - and flashes of brilliance - are obvious wherever you look.

I, too, take my hat off to @rockedge for the unceasing enthusiasm and sheer hard work he's put into this community.....and very definitely for keeping the community together via the new forum.....as well as keeping the old one accessible.

Hats off to ALL you guys!

Mike. :)

Puppy "stuff" ~ MORE Puppy "stuff" ~ ....and MORE! :D

amethyst

Post by amethyst »

Look, we have some real tools in this place now. People threatening others in sinister ways like threatening them to expose their personal details (which is a crime by the way). Just not some very nice people at the moment unfortunately.

dancytron

Post by dancytron »

We've always had tools and people who were out to tear down what other people had built.

Remember Anakin?

I also remember spending a lot of time on the old forum trying to deal with not being to reorganize things at all and that it caused a lot on unnecessary conflict.

At least now we have a technically working forum so that there can be some attempt to control it.

Personally, I have no use for the off-topic political stuff and suggest we segregate it and let people hide it if they want (which is what another forum I'm on does). I think it's been the main cause of a lot of talented people leaving.

rockedge
Site Admin

Post by rockedge »

I think it's been the main cause of a lot of talented people leaving.

Unfortunately this is a true statement and just very recently happened.

dancytron

Post by dancytron »

rockedge wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 2:12 pm

If I didn't have the self-discipline to refuse to look at it, I'm pretty sure I'd be gone too.

backi

Post by backi »

@dancytron wrote :

Personally, I have no use for the off-topic political stuff and suggest we segregate it and let people hide it if they want (which is what another forum I'm on does)

If I didn't have the self-discipline to refuse to look at it, I'm pretty sure I'd be gone too.

Unfortunately there is no Place left to run or hide.

Sorry .....could not resist.....

.....just kidding..... :lol: :lol:

bigpup

Post by bigpup »

rockedge wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 12:10 pm

Does anyone remember why John Murga set up the Off Topic section????? Some punches flying around caused him to address it........

All there to see right now if one digs into the past.

I think it was started for the simple reason of people wanting to talk about all kinds of stuff, that really had nothing to do with Puppy Linux.

A lot of topics, would get off subject, and turn into discussion of something, that had nothing to do with the topic.

So he figured, maybe these none Puppy Linux discussions, could have their own place to post.

Forum Global Moderator

rockedge
Site Admin

Post by rockedge »

There was internal discussion on a hidden restricted sub forum that indicate the move to make the section was to control increasing hostilities and hijacked topics by giving a dedicated "sandbox" to have regular discussion over non-technical topics.

Return to “Announcements”