wanderer

questions for 32 bit developers

Post by wanderer »

hi all

i just have some questions for our developers of 32 bit systems

as a user
my needs are simple
my hardware doesn't change
the only thing i need to be periodically updated is the browser and media player
in fact i don't want the base system to change if it works well on my hardware

it would seem that the base could remain unchanged
and any new stuff could be made into an sfs
and added if desired
then if it didn't work just unload the sfs

also of the major distros
debian still supports 32 bit
is slackware another good option

it would be nice to know what 32 bit systems the devs intend to continue to support
so that us users could focus on them

my opinion is that probably eventually everything will become 64 bit
but i don't think that will happen for some years
and the hardware i am using can run 32 bit until then

any thoughts

wanderer
oui

Re: questions for 32 bit developers

Post by oui »

wanderer wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 9:53 pm also of the major distros
debian still supports 32 bit
is slackware another good option
publish a list as you do above = make a selection = exclude other :roll:

why are you excluding

- arch
- gentoo
- linuxfromscratch + blfs (* 1

as they are probably yet over 1 milliard 32 PC's, the enemies of the GAFA's (because they reduce the ability to expand orgialic advertising solutions increasing the prices of publicity in the web) in use in the world,

as those old PC are VERY important for children and poor people and countries (and some old person with low income in rich countries)

I am about certain that above distros arch, gentoo and LFS/BLFS founded on self compilation of system will never close they 32-bit branch...

but Puppy did never react friendly to her :oops:

allthough arch and for ex. nutyx publish over 10 years punctually actual linux binaries in well organized depositories, they are no activity from our developers in woofCE to include then in the system... about same thing with Devuan or Deepin (Deepin did also abandon at release 15.4 the 32 bit branch! you can forget it in that case).

(*1 2 or 3 distro's derivate from LFS/BLFS offer depositories for sources but ALSO FOR BINARIES. the most usuable actually is probably nutyx offering since activity begin also a simplified way to compile rationally yourself binaries for all kind of processors you wish, and so offer the possibility of easy creation of a limited own depository for some distro builder like woofCE... Nutyx offers today a lot of configurations. One is very similar with the configuration of classic Puppy with JWM: https://sourceforge.net/projects/nutyx/files/JWM/ . The new avanced package manager from Nutyx offers to compile yourself on your all the installation: http://www.nutyx.org/en/faq#6 :thumbup2: (if your PC has the power to do that in a realistic time!).
wanderer wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 9:53 pm it would be nice to know what 32 bit systems the devs intend to continue to support
so that us users could focus on them

my opinion is that probably eventually everything will become 64 bit
but i don't think that will happen for some years
and the hardware i am using can run 32 bit until then
there are to much old PCs in live on the world! recycling is difficult / not possible as the components are very complex and absolutely not adequate any more for new products... the best way to use them without damaging the environment is ...

... to use then

... as they are and as the usages in the web are evoluting, old PCs are of course needing, it is so logic, to keep pace with that evolution and to get new and improved software, what else :thumbup2:

I am certain that the modular use of Puppy with the layered system and by demand added new performances through *.sfs packages can contribute very active to such a process :idea:

Return to “Users”