An Open Source PC platform

What works, and doesn't, for you. Be specific, and please include Puppy version.

Moderator: Forum moderators

Clarity

An Open Source PC platform

Post by Clarity »

For those who want TOTAL Control of your PC hardware and can update or change features at will, THIS is a solution option. ... FRAMEWORK! A ZDNET review of the model with a pre-installed ChromeOS is posted here.

You choose EVERYTHING about it...components...Operating System...repairing...upgrades...etc.

bigpup

Re: An Open Source PC platform

Post by bigpup »

Something to consider if you want a Chromebook with a i5 processor.

But i am sure I have seen normal laptops, with i5 processors, the same RAM, and drive size, for half the price.

Just found one by Dell with a bigger screen only it does have a slightly older i5 processor. but RAM and storage amount is the same for $455
This one can easily remove Windows 11 and turn it into a Linux laptop.

The mixing of Framework's hardware with Google's powerfully light ChromeOS platform

I hate ChomeOS and took it off my $180 Chromebook as soon as I got it.
Installed a modified bios to work with something other than ChromeOS.
Sure this is not the same specs for processor and amount of RAM, but not too much less for storage amount in it, with an added SD card. (internal SSD holds all the Puppy OS stuff)
But works great with Puppy Linux

Installed Puppy Linux on it. :thumbup:
Runs faster than it did with ChoromeOS.
Now have ability to install all kinds of Linux software.

I thought all laptops now are more generic about hardware you can switch out.
Change RAM amount with new RAM sticks.
Put a bigger SSD drive in it.
Even a different processor as long as it uses the same connection setup.

Forum Global Moderator
The things you do not tell us, are usually the clue to fixing the problem.
When I was a kid, I wanted to be older.
This is not what I expected :o

scsijon

Post by scsijon »

Actually it's a lot more than that as this local australian paper shows. Runs Linux too.
https://www.theage.com.au/business/entr ... 5bous.html

wiak

Post by wiak »

I'm using a business laptop which is relatively new bought at beginning of year. It's fine and hopefully performs well enough for me for many years to come - however... I'd much prefer that Framework type of design if spending that kind of money... Only thing would be if Framework company longterm survives; otherwise the spare parts would become unavailable. Better overall would be governments passing legislation that make re-build capability statutory so all computer makers provided that kind of facility, but also need 'standards' to allow interchange of modular hardware components, because otherwise, like power charger interfaces, designs keep changing and thus obsolete whatever came previous - I am not particularly meaning standards like usbc, thunderbolt and so on, which will inevitably be obsoleted as technology advances, but rather the module mechanism used to plug in to the repairable computer (so a bit like pcmcia, cardbus, and similar, plug-in type ports rather than the cable/hardware interface at the end of all that - so a standard such that can be used in different manufacturers 'repairable' offerings). But well done Framework for having a go at this - good for now certainly, so I hope it expands its market presence and does well longterm since a wake up call to others (and IT-related lawmakers).

https://www.tinylinux.info/
DOWNLOAD wd_multi for hundreds of 'distros' at your fingertips: viewtopic.php?p=99154#p99154
Αξίζει να μεταφραστεί;

scsijon

Post by scsijon »

found their website and variation details at https://frame.work/au/en/laptop-comparison (australian prices, you can chage for your contries if available).

geo_c

Post by geo_c »

@Clarity

I was asking about this platform back in 2021: viewtopic.php?t=4011

I re-visited that site a lot considering whether I should give it a shot.

addendum: As far as ChomeOS is concerned, I set up a Chrome book for my 80 year old mother-in-law. I set it up so her phone and laptop will back up all her photos and docs to the cloud automatically so they stay in sync, and thought "yeah, if I was the kind of person who wanted google to manage my life, this would be pretty nifty," But as OS it's a pain in the ass. Basically a glorified phone in a laptop format.

geo_c
Old School Hipster, and Such

Clarity

Post by Clarity »

Hello @geo_c

Hope the recent info provided by members are helpful.

The Framework intends to have royalty free OS and appears to be designed for running any X86_64 OS from Unix to the many OSes that run on that instruction-set.

If they are able to survive the long haul with this hardware approach they are taking, it will be a good repairable thing should repair/upgrade be necessary during ownership.

I continue to keep current on their progress. Looking forward...

geo_c

Post by geo_c »

Clarity wrote: Wed Oct 19, 2022 6:47 pm

Hello @geo_c

Hope the recent info provided by members are helpful.

The Framework intends to have royalty free OS and appears to be designed for running any X86_64 OS from Unix to the many OSes that run on that instruction-set.

If they are able to survive the long haul with this hardware approach they are taking, it will be a good repairable thing should repair/upgrade be necessary during ownership.

I continue to keep current on their progress. Looking forward...

When I was first looking at them, of course I was wondering how puppy would do running them. The whole idea of modular hardware is a fantastic idea, especially for somone like me who needs lots of ram, and lots of fast ports.

geo_c
Old School Hipster, and Such

bigpup

Post by bigpup »

Desktop computers have been this way for years.

Using generic components to build a desktop computer.
Case.
Power supply.
Motherboard. (provides all the external connections)
CPU.
Memory.
Graphic card.
SSD drive, Hard drive, or M2 drive.
Any needed cooling fans or liquid cooling if you like.
Maybe a sound card, if you do not like sound provided on the motherboard.
Monitor.
Keyboard.
Mouse or track pad.
Any other external connections you want in the case that the motherboard does not provide.

All the parts using universally standard accepted power. data, cable connections.

All my desktop computer have been built by me using these generic parts.
First one was built around 1995.

There is an overwhelming number of any of these parts to select from to use.
Provided by a large number of different manufacturers of hardware.
Picking the exact part to use can get overwhelming.

Examples:
Pick any of the Intel CPU's
Now pick from about 50+ motherboards that they could be used with.

I built a Desktop computer, using a case manufactured in 1993, with all new parts recently manufactured.
The old case had all needed mounting points, access slots, mount bays, etc.... to match what the new hardware needed.
That is how universal this desktop stuff is.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Looking at this laptop idea.
What comes to mind. Is this company the only place you will be able to get replacement parts?
Some of it could be generic parts, but some seems to be specific to this design.
Example:
The expansion card idea looks like only from them part.
The monitor bezel looks like only from them.
The motherboard looks like only from them.
Laptop case looks like only from them.

The M2 drive and the memory may be the only generic parts.
Maybe the CPU, but how is it connected to the motherboard?
Different versions of CPU's are not going to work on the same motherboard. Need different mounting and connection pin setups.

The expansion card idea seems to be the only really useful feature.
But you seem to have to buy individual cards to use.

Forum Global Moderator
The things you do not tell us, are usually the clue to fixing the problem.
When I was a kid, I wanted to be older.
This is not what I expected :o

Return to “Hardware”