Which 64-bit Puppy for 2.4 GHz Celeron + 512 MB RAM?

New to Puppy and have questions? Start here

Moderator: Forum moderators

Zedward

Which 64-bit Puppy for 2.4 GHz Celeron + 512 MB RAM?

Post by Zedward »

Good evening, dear dog breeders!
Our village school have got some computers with 1-core Intel Celeron 2,4Ghz onboard (with 64-bit architecture) and 512 mb RAM. Integrated video, integrated audio, IDE HDD 40 Gb and no OS on them.
I tried to install Windows XP, but if was very slowly and surfing Internet was veeeery uncomfortable for students.
Then I tried some little Linuxes: Linux Lite etc. was slow.
I find information about Puppyu Linuxes, downloaded some of them and began to experimente.
FossaPup64 9.5 and BionicPup64 8.0 was slowly on 512 Mb RAM too. Tahrpup 6.0.5 hangs up on boot.
At last I tried BionicPup32 8.0 and it was wonderful: fast and light system.
BUT!
It has 32-bit architecture: we can't launch Zoom, Discord, TrueConf etc. and some new actual programs.
So recommend please light fast and not so old Puppy 64bit for this goals.
I use for education apllications from Gnome Office, Dia, Double Commander Logo, Pascal, Palemoon browser -- nothing exotic. But videoconferences...

Clarity

Re: Need help to choise Puppy

Post by Clarity »

:welcome: @Zedward I have a few question in any effort to help:

• How many of these do you have?

• Will they be deployed in a single classroom?

• Are they for student use or school's administration?

• Are they to be used for local use of applications on the PC(s) OR is their use for internet use in education?

As you have determined there are many forum options and for some/most, the originating developer indicates the recommended minimum PC the PUP/DOG was designed for. So, as you continue, you might want to look for any statement the developers suggests.

Looking forward to a happy landing for the purpose you've indicated.

P.S. The PCs you've indicated sounds like PC Terminals that were designed for use connecting to Terminal Servers or classroom servers such as EDubuntu or others. Is there a chance you might have the OS client software they came with?

dimkr

Post by dimkr »

Zedward wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 6:26 pm

So recommend please light fast and not so old Puppy 64bit for this goals.

https://forum.puppylinux.com/viewtopic.php?t=6105

Zedward

Post by Zedward »

>How many of these do you have?
6 PCs and 3 notebooks not so old, but I want to intall the same system everywhere.
> Will they be deployed in a single classroom?
Yes, but sometimes teachers take one or two of them away to classes without local net, so we can't use all of them as terminals.
>Are they for student use or school's administration?
Only educational. We have Internet access filtration by provider.
>Are they to be used for local use of applications on the PC(s) OR is their use for internet use in education?
Both.

Noway. They are simple laptops from commercial offices. They bought new ten yeas ago, this computers were unclamed. I took them to school. Something is better than nothing.

Zedward

Post by Zedward »

I forgot one important thing!
I know that Puppy works only with root because in fact it is single-user system. But I want to limit access to little students to restrict them ruin system (except senior classes — to let them study Linux).

Flash

Re: Which 64-bit Puppy for 2.4 GHz Celeron + 512 MB RAM?

Post by Flash »

Do the computers all have CD or DVD drives? (Read-only is fine, except one needs to be a writer.)

Chaos coordinator :?
Zedward

Post by Zedward »

I thought about this too. Unfortunately, no CD's...

Clarity

Post by Clarity »

One forum member @wizard has done something to help another forum member involve is a school as well. The outcome of his assistance is this 64bit work here that you might find appealing.

This forum has many very good offerings.

For your currently dilemma, I think, is the RAM on the 'terminal' PCs as they have non-spec general purpose hardware builds suitable for terminals; while your laptops are much different in hardware. (The original worldwide industry manufacturer's spec for ALL General 64bit PCs was 1GB RAM, and terminal 64bit units at the time was 512MB RAM.) This RAM concern is an issue because of the design of ALL modern browsers that are secure, no matter the distro or the OS.

Hope this info is helpful.

P.S. If no DVD, how are you booting your test PCs as you have indicated?

mikeslr

Post by mikeslr »

Zedward wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 7:39 pm

I forgot one important thing!
I know that Puppy works only with root because in fact it is single-user system. But I want to limit access to little students to restrict them ruin system (except senior classes — to let them study Linux).

Suggest that you open a specific thread about this. But maybe this will both alleviate your fears and solve your problem. Read this post, viewtopic.php?t=5818. Despite rockedge's warning that it is an 'advanced topic', at least until you get to the part discussing "Things that provide input to init and change the things it does:" IMHO it isn't difficult to get the gist.
Short version with enhancements: Except for one File-System, a frugal Puppy boots from READ-ONLY file-systems. Running as root it is possible to delete those (or use a Remaster** application to create an alternate puppy_Version_VersionNumber.sfs. This file-system provides the file-manager, window-manager and builtin applications, no one can 'break' them. [Under bionicpup32, that file-system bears the name puppy_upupbb_19.03.sfs]. The only file-systems which can easily be modified is a READ-WRITE SaveFile or SaveFolder which is used to preserve settings, customizations and user-installed applications.
But you can run Puppys without a SaveFile or Folder. There are two ways. You can remaster. A remaster will include all your settings, customizations and user-installed applications. If before remastering you use Menu>Setup>Remove Builtins, the applications you removed will not be included in the Remaster. With all your changes in place, you can substitute your puppy_upupbb_19.03.sfs for the current one; and deploy the modified system to as many computers as you want. All such computers will boot to desktop. Any changes later made will either be wiped out on a reboot if no SaveFile/Folder is created. Or if one is, it can easily be deleted.

The 2nd way is to use the Save2SFS module of nicOS-Utilities-Suite, viewtopic.php?p=12983#p12983. That application will 'capture' customizations, setting, installed applications including those which are only in RAM, not yet having been Saved. These will be included in either an adrv.sfs or ydrv.sfs, both READ-ONLY, and automatically used on bootup.

bionicpup32 already has an adrv.sfs. But it only contains one application, (firefox)Light-browser. You have a couple of choices. Delete that adrv. Or incorporate it into either an new adrv.sfs or a ydrv.sfs while using Save2SFS. As with a Remaster, before it an new advr.sfs or ydrv.sfs can be used it would have to be moved/copied to be adjacent to the puppy_Version_VersionNumber.sfs. No two files in the same folder can have the same name.

Again, you end-up with an operating system which boots to desktop using only READ-ONLY file-systems; as to which any changes will either be lost on Reboot or easily deleted.

I think there remains only the slim possibilities that a youngster would figure out that using a terminal or Rox-filemanager the system-files and/or the boot-loader can be deleted. Perhaps someone knows how to child-proof rox and terminals.

But if not, recovery is a 5 minute operation if you have a USB-Stick with your version of Puppy on it: Just plug in that Stick, boot it up, delete any unwanted files from the hard-drive, copy its files onto the hard-drive (if necessary) and/or run a boot-manager application specifying that only the hard-drive will be searched; and/or the boot-manager on the hard-drive replaced (if necessary).

wiak

Post by wiak »

In part of my life I used to teach Linux. When it comes to these senior students, nothing wrong with an older Puppy as low-resource, root-only distro, but believe me, do these students a favour and realize that as an education learning Linux is about learning how to configure a multi-user operating system and understanding the nature of administration and permissions. Hard to break single user understanding bad habits if that's all you learned as a child.

If BionicPup works well on such a low RAM system, BionicDog will run just as well, if not better, and be full multi-user linux capable (but set up like Pup to run as root desktop by default). Using that would allow solution to junior users not being given root access - just add their logins as normal users. All the advantages of Puppy - but saves all issues you wish to address.

Up to yourself, but your students would thank you for that unlimited Linux initiation later.

I used to use Puppy at home most of the time back then, when I taught Linux to beginners, and of course I told my students where to get it for their own uses, but was no use to me (or them) in the classroom. Of course you can remaster and load sfs portables to your hearts content with BionicDog too - it is also an aufs using frugal installed distro with either savefe or save folder; whatever you prefer. Both my young kids learned Linux starting with BionicDog years ago, so multi-user set ups is just normal first Linux baby language to them - thank goodness.

I understand that you came here, tried BionicPup and it worked for you resource-wise, and some here won't like I'm suggesting BionicDog is a better fit for your overall purpose - but it certainly is a better choice for your student learning experience needs and solves the admin-rights destroy system issues at the same time. BionicDog has very similar facilities as Puppy - I believe it was basically inspired by Puppy but removed the single-user limitations and admin issues in one sweep. Great for teaching Linux on pretty old low-resourced machines too - should be at least as frugal in resource usage in practice and with near perfect Ubuntu upstream repo package management.

https://www.tinylinux.info/
DOWNLOAD wd_multi for hundreds of 'distros' at your fingertips: viewtopic.php?p=99154#p99154
Αξίζει να μεταφραστεί;

Zedward

Post by Zedward »

wiak wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 3:05 am

If BionicPup works well on such a low RAM system, BionicDog will run just as well

I tried it on 512 Mb, but it is slow as another Linuxes I tried...
The fastes system that I found is BionicPup 32bit, but 32bit... :(

Oh well, too bad, surprised but maybe running services in the background that slow it down - stick with BionicPup then.

mikeslr

Post by mikeslr »

Zedward wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 9:40 am
wiak wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 3:05 am

If BionicPup works well on such a low RAM system, BionicDog will run just as well

I tried it on 512 Mb, but it is slow as another Linuxes I tried...
The fastes system that I found is BionicPup 32bit, but 32bit... :(

Oh well, too bad, surprised but maybe running services in the background that slow it down - stick with BionicPup then.

If you haven't already done so, you may want to try debian-9 (stretch), https://oldforum.puppylinux.com/viewtop ... 52#p962752. Older than bionic-dog, its components are likely to be smaller and less resource demanding. Still, like dpup-stretch, its components should be new enough to support the web-facing applications you want.

As I rarely run a 'debian-dog', I tend to overlook them when making recommendations. "Out of sight, Out of Mind": a condition I've been accused of more than once. :shock: :lol:

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

@Zedward :-

Although Will (wiak) and I have our fair share of disagreements over a number of issues - doesn't mean we dislike each other, we simply have differing opinions on how things should be done - on this point I agree with him, 100%.

When it comes to these senior students, nothing wrong with an older Puppy as low-resource, root-only distro, but believe me, do these students a favour and realize that as an education learning Linux is about learning how to configure a multi-user operating system and understanding the nature of administration and permissions. Hard to break single user understanding bad habits if that's all you learned as a child.

Puppy is absolutely fine for a single-user, where if you trash your system you only have yourself to blame, and no-one is affected but you. (Actually, after a few such occurrences, you do tend to learn caution, and begin teaching yourself ways & means of preventing such from happening again, but.......that's not the point here.)

The "point" IS that if you want your senior pupils to gain a good basic grounding - with perhaps some going on to work in this field, maybe as admins themselves - then they need to learn the proper way to approach Linux. And that means learning the basics from the word "go"; the necessarily secure nature of a multi-user system, how correct permissions used in the right manner will enhance that secure nature, and how an "admin" will in all likelihood be called upon to oversee the running of not only one multi-user system, but dozens, or even hundreds. And your users will not thank you for losing their data, or for allowing other users, or on-line 'threat actors' to "invade" their private space. And that's just for starters.....

Those old office machines may not be such a godsend as you might imagine them to be. All hardware has its day, and after a period of time is no longer able to handle the increasingly complex nature of software used in the modern world. I think these Celerons are already past that point.

Mike. :|

Puppy "stuff" ~ MORE Puppy "stuff" ~ ....and MORE! :D

wizard

Post by wizard »

@mikewalsh
@Zedward

Zeward has listed the CPU as a 2.4ghz Celeron "from 10 years ago". The only 2.4ghz Celerons I can find from then are dual core. Zeward, use Bionic 32 to give us some more information about the CPU.
-Menu>System>Pup-SysInfo>Mainboard>CPU

wizard

Big pile of OLD computers

mikeslr

Post by mikeslr »

I mentioned in my prior post "Any changes later made will either be wiped out on a reboot if no SaveFile/Folder is created..." This is ONLY true when booting from a hard-drive if you change the boot argument.

Both grub4dos and grub2config will recognize that Puppy is booting from a hard drive and will, respectively, write an argument such as:

grub2 config > linux /bionic32/vmlinuz psubdir=/bionic32 pmedia=atahd pfix=fsck

grub4dos > kernel/bionic64/vmlinuz psubdir=/bionic64 pmedia=atahd pfix=fsck

Or the boot argument may be silent with regard to the nature of the media.

What the above establishes is a Puppy running under PupMode12. Changes are immediately written to Storage Media.

PupMode13 was originally designed to work with USB-Sticks where the concern was that after many writes to it the USB-Stick would 'burn out'. So, the argument for PupMode13 is automatically written for Puppys booted from a USB-Sticks. Under PupMode13, nothing is automatically written to media, changes are stored in RAM, and at shutdown/reboot the user is asked if (s)he wants to preserve those changes. The default being "NO SAVE", after 60 seconds the computer will shutdown/reboot without Saving. [Menu>System>Puppy Event Manager can change the interval.]

It was subsequently discovered that with two changes, a Puppy booted from a hard-drive could operate as if they were booted from a USB-Stick. As some people prefer the convenience of [and not having to remember to] preserve changes, PupMode12 remains the default for Puppys booted from a hard-drive. I don't: so I always change it and rarely think about it. Thus, my failure to previously mention it.

To change to PupMode13, edit the linux/kernel line to read:

grub2 config > linux /bionic32/vmlinuz psubdir=/bionic32 pmedia=ataflash pfix=fsck

grub4dos > kernel/bionic64/vmlinuz psubdir=/bionic64 pmedia=ataflash pfix=fsck

After rebooting, open Menu>System>Puppy Event Manager, Left-Click the 'Save Session' Tab, set the interval to 0/zero; and put a check in the box next to 'Ask at Shutdown' to overcome the default setting of Saving without asking.

Clarity

Post by Clarity »

In review, I would believe that @wizard's Friendly Fossa could perform well on these "Terminals" that the manufacturers built. AND, I would venture to say that any other 64bit PC which came from the manufacturer not designed for terminal use, (thus 1GB or greater according to design specs of the 64bit era) would have a positive behavior experience by comparison shown here.

Where are you located? Is there any grass-roots community groups who provide free repurposed PCs to non-profits?

In my area there are several donation groups for education.

amethyst

Post by amethyst »

Need a swap file or swap partition and boot parameter set to pfix=nocopy. Browsing the net with a modern browser will be a challenge with that specs especially heavy websites. As for 32-bit vs 64-bit - I have an old 2GHz duo core laptop with 2GB RAM. 32-bit distributions are more responsive on this machine. I'm currently using Stretch 7.5 as my daily driver and use Palemoon as the web browser (although I also have Chromium an Firefox which also works well). Best Puppy setup for my machine in terms of speed and stability.

wiak

Post by wiak »

Consider, if using these low RAM computers with bionicpup32, investing in a reasonable but cheap server machine they can all log into. That would solve issues regarding multi user and also running more recent applications. You need the combination of VNC and virtualGL on the server such that server will process the openGL with its more advanced and capable graphics card, and the wee pups only need vnc client with ssh client login access.

https://www.tinylinux.info/
DOWNLOAD wd_multi for hundreds of 'distros' at your fingertips: viewtopic.php?p=99154#p99154
Αξίζει να μεταφραστεί;

Zedward

Post by Zedward »

Hello, it's me again.
I have installed Puppy Linux Bionicle 32 bit to that machines (full instalation) and found a bottleneck: IDE-HDDs.
I can literally hear their moanings and wheezings loading PaleMoon or Geogebra.
If I will install frugal-Puppy or full-install to RAM-Disk, it will be the problem with insufficient storage space (we need 4-4,5 Gb to store Puppy and all our enviromental stuff and related libs), but RAM-Disk's size is equal to available RAM (512 Mb). I will search for DDR2 to buy it, but maximum amount will be only 2 Gb.
What should I do?
If I install Puppy to USB 1.0 -- will it be more slow then on disk?
Maybe there is some way to increase speed of this IDEs? Advise me, please. Students want to learn computer science, but I can't give them this opportunity :(
By the world, I can't buy server because off tine salary in village school :(

amethyst

Post by amethyst »

If I will install frugal-Puppy or full-install to RAM-Disk, it will be the problem with insufficient storage space (we need 4-4,5 Gb to store Puppy and all our enviromental stuff and related libs), but RAM-Disk's size is equal to available RAM (512 Mb). I will search for DDR2 to buy it, but maximum amount will be only 2 Gb.
What should I do?

Getting more RAM will help but you definitely need a swap file or swap partition with the current setup and you need to set the pfix=nocopy parameter if it's a frugal install as mentioned. The swap will ensure that you have enough virtual memory for operational purposes otherwise your system will freeze because of running out of RAM. USB 1 will be slower than hard disk so your Puppy install should be on your hard disk. A 32-bit Puppy will run better on that machine.

bigpup

Post by bigpup »

I have installed Puppy Linux Bionicle 32 bit to that machines (full instalation) and found a bottleneck: IDE-HDDs.
I can literally hear their moanings and wheezings loading PaleMoon or Geogebra.

That is what you get with a full install.
It will be slower to load programs into memory, when you select to run one.
That is normal operation and the way most other Linux operating systems work.
Faster hard drives, now in computers, make it seem fast, to read a program from the drive and load it into memory, to run.

to me this slowness to load a program into memory and then, see it running OK, is a good teaching, of what has to happen, to run a program.
Stuff working too fast, will not show what is happening.

If you are going to get into any coding of software.
A slow computer, will really show the affect code can have, on how it will run.
Change this code and it has this affect.

How is the program running after it actually opens?
Now in memory, it should run OK.

A ramdisk is not what you need or even want to try using.

You need more memory than 512MB

You need a swap partition on the internal drive or swap file.

2GB of RAM should work OK.
But you will have to be willing to not have every possible program, running at the same time.
Only the ones needed, to do what you want to do, at that specific time.
Browsing the Internet, only a web browser running.
Doing word processing, only the writing program running.
Etc.....

Forum Global Moderator
The things you do not tell us, are usually the clue to fixing the problem.
When I was a kid, I wanted to be older.
This is not what I expected :o

Zedward

Post by Zedward »

I want to to prevent students to change the system, and I want to hide from them Save2Flash button.
I use pupmode=13, but:
1) I need to remove window that prompts to save state when rebooting or shutting-down;
2) I remove button Save2Flash from desktop, but it appers again after reboot.

What version of LibreOffice will run better on this system? Or it will be better Abiword+Gnumeric? So I need database - maybe, Kexi? And something like PowerPoint, small and fast.

Maybe I can run Puppy ONLY in RAM? Looong long load to copy disk from HDD to RAM ant them fast work? Ot it is useless cause frugal system runs mostly in RAM?

Thank you all for your helping!

Last edited by Zedward on Mon Sep 19, 2022 6:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
amethyst

Post by amethyst »

Zedward wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 5:35 pm

I installed 2GB RAM, installed frugal issue of Dpup Stretch 7.5 CE, added to grub boot string pfix=nocopy and now I get the system with the 1,5 Gb amount of personal storage. It's not enough, I need at least 4,5 Gb, I can't install more RAM. Nothing to do?
I use key pupmode=13 to prevent automatic saving of system state and I want to remove window with save prompt on shut-down or reboot.
I want to to prevent students to change the system, but I need to know, where the button Save2Flash hidden to give me ability to save changes.
I remove button from desktop, but it appers again after reboot.
Advise, please, how I can solve this task.
What version of LibreOffice will run better on this system?
Thank you all for your helping!

Save file = mechanism to save the stuff you install and also save any other changes to the system. Swap file = Virtual memory (to boost your physical RAM). Did you create a save file at first boot (the system will ask at reboot or shutdown)? This will accommodate the extra stuff you want to install and you can make the save file bigger if you need to. Your swap file or swap partition will provide the additional virtual RAM if required. Did you create a swap file (when the system asks if you want to create a save file it will also ask if you want to create a swap file.? Once you have a save file and you run in pupmode 13 a save icon will appear on your desktop automatically. If you click this, your session will be saved (this is the manual way of doing it). You can also dictate when or if the system should save your changes automatically. Okay so this is what I recommend in your case: First create the save file and install all the stuff and make the necessary changes you want and save it . Once you have done that, turn your save file into an adrv or ydrv (you can use my save2sfs utility of my utility suite (see the link in my signature below this post). Once you have done that, place the adrv or ydrv at the location of your frugal installed Puppy files. This created adrv or ydrv will be booted automatically and will replace your save file. The adrv/ydrv is also read-only so your students can't change it. Just a caution - Once you have turned your save file into an adrv/ydrv do not delete your save file at first but rename it to something obscure so that it does not boot. Once everything seems fine, you can delete it (because the adrv/ydrv will replace your save file in this instance). If you do not have a save file anymore, the default system behaviour will still be to ask you if you want to create a save file at reboot/shutdown. Decline this when asked or just do nothing (your session will not be saved then). There is a way to "disable" that asking screen but we will not go into that right now...

Last edited by amethyst on Mon Sep 19, 2022 7:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
mikeslr

Post by mikeslr »

I've changed my mind. Well, sort of. On low-ram systems you have a dilemma. Under PupMode 13, until a Save is executed, changes are stored in RAM; thus reducing the RAM available for working. Under PupMode 12, changes are immediately written to 'Storage'; thus leaving available more RAM in comparison to PupMode13.

Under either, I think you'll want to use a SaveFolder and the boot argument 'NoCopy'.

To some extent, the dilemma can be 'worked-around'. Although outwardly the operating systems would appear identical, by merely changing the boot-code some computers could operate under PupMode 13; others PupMode 12. Those operating under PupMode 12 could be assigned to your more advanced students.

Under PupMode12, the Save Icon never appears on the desktop because Saves are automatic.

Under PupMode 13, the Save Icon should appear on the desktop by default. [Remember, not only does the boot-code have to read 'pmedia=ataflash', but Menu>System>Puppy Event Manager>Save Session has to be set to Zeron/0 and a checkmark placed in the 'Ask at Shutdown' box].

The Save icon can be removed from the Desktop [Right-Click>Remove Item(s) and that condition Saved: terminal>save2flash. But a dialog to 'Save NoSave' will still appear on shutdown/reboot.

Perhaps someone knows how to disable the code which that calls without breaking anything else.
The save2flash script is at /usr/sbin.

I don't know what code is used under PupMode12, or where it is located. But if someone can identify it, you could try this. After making all the other changes you desire, install* nicOS-Utility-Suite, viewtopic.php?p=12983#p12983, delete the code which executes a Save, then run the 'Suites' Save2SFS creating either a ydrv.sfs or an adrv.sfs. With such adrv/ydrv.sfs loading at boot-up, [adjacent to the other system files] the Save Code will have been 'whited-out' unavailable. The Save routine can easily be recovered by deleting/removing-from-its-required location such adrv/ydrv.sfs.

In short, we need to know what code is called to execute a Save under PupMode12.

Under PupMode13, the above procedure could be used with /usr/sbin/save2flash having been deleted.

-=-=-=-
* Better, yet. Download the .gz, Right-Click>UExtract to extract the pet. Right-Click>UExtract the pet and you'll have a folder named "nicOS-Utility-Suite-2022". Right-Click that folder and select dir2sfs. You'll then have an SFS you can load and use without having to install the pet. When creating an adrv/ydrv.sfs, you can choose not to include the Utility-Suite SFS.

amethyst

Post by amethyst »

I suggest doing this to deal with the asking screen issue: Before you convert your save file to an adrv/ydrv, right-click the shutdownconfig file in /usr/sbin > search for "60" in the document and change the Timelimit to 5 and shutdown time limit to 5 or even less (so you are shortening the time the display appears from 60 to 5 seconds). Make sure this change is saved before you do the conversion of the save file to an adrv/ydrv. So you will still be asked at reboot/shutdown if you want to make a save file but now the screen will only display for 5 seconds. Do nothing then. This is the most unintrusive way to deal with those screens.

williams2

Post by williams2 »

You could probably disable the save2flash button
by disabljng the files save2flash and snapmergepuppy
by editing those text files which are shell scripts.
I don't know if that would have any other effects to the operating system.
by putting the shell command exit near the top of the file, like this:

Code: Select all

#!/bin/sh
exit

You can use pfix=nocopy to give you 400 or so of ram.
And you could link /tmp/ to a directory on the hard drive,
instead of linking /tmp/ to ram (tmpfs)

Which is the standard puppy frugal install.

That is, the rw top layer of the aufs layered file system
would be the save file or folder, not ram.

It would run slower, though.

Personally, I usually run a remastered Puppy with no save file,
and my hard drive not mounted.
I have a desktop icon I can click to mount my hard drive, on /mnt/home/

A few years ago, I saw that the operating system of the computers
that were showing the web page to search for a book
that was on one of the shelves in the town library.
It was Puppy. Clinking the dog icon in the bottom left corner popped up a menu,
which could run RoxFiler, and a command terminal.
Pressing the ~ tilde key would pop up an urxvt terminal, in any case.
The library file system, and also the town's file system seemed to be all accessible.

Yikes!

I think the Puppy OS was Library Puppy.
Which was intended for a person to read books,
not for use BY a library.

I warned them that Puppy was intended as a single user system, running as root,
not as a public terminal connected to the library and the town's network.

I think they were using Puppy on the public computers for at least 8 or 9 months.

Last edited by williams2 on Mon Sep 19, 2022 9:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zedward

Post by Zedward »

I have problem with Stretch 7.5: pnethood doesn't work.
In Puppy Bionical 32 I see resources, In Stretch I can mount resources by YASSM, but pnethood see nothing, it start to scan and immediatly stop it. Help please!

Zedward

Post by Zedward »

What is the difference beetwen 1.48 and 19.56 assemblies?

Clarity

Post by Clarity »

@Zedward Did you look at @wizard's Friendly.

To reduce your administration you may want to consider a Kiosh arrangement with the "terminals" you have proxying to a bigger PC for the internet services you are envisioning.

Although it is not discussed in the forum, a PXE from a bigger PC (or your school's router if it offers TFTP features) and an accompanying proxying might just be a single solution to maintaining and management of the new environment for these terminals, you foresee.

Hope this helps in your seeking direction(s) toward implementation

Phoenix

Post by Phoenix »

My advice seeing as you're using it for school: chattr +i after installing puppy squashfiles and boot configuration files. This will immediately stop any chance to remove squashfiles somehow or destroy the boot. Also you will need to patch filemnt to not use rm -rf, instead using rmdir. (super bad)

You might note that you won't be able to chattr +i files on the unionfs/root filesystem. If you wish to make files on the savefile/rewritable layer immutable (no write, no delete, no modifications) you'll have to apply it to the branch. This will be at /initrd/pup_rw. If you wish or find out that it cannot be immutable, you can revert it via chattr -i.

IRC: firepup | Time to hack Puppy!

Return to “Beginners Help”