initrd.gz decompressed

Issues and / or general discussion relating to Puppy

Moderator: Forum moderators

amethyst

initrd.gz decompressed

Post by amethyst »

Any reason why the initrd is compressed with traditional Puppys? It's small as it is. I decompress mine and sure, there does not seem much of a difference in booting time but hey every second counts...

LateAdopter

Re: initrd.gz decompressed

Post by LateAdopter »

It probably mattered when you could boot from a floppy disk.

I decompressed mine so that I could edit the init and mountpartition to add lazytime to the mount options for the partition with the savefile and the filesystem inside the savefile.

I never bothered to re-compress it and didn't notice any difference.

wiak

Post by wiak »

LateAdopter wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 7:48 am

It probably mattered when you could boot from a floppy disk.

I decompressed mine so that I could edit the init and mountpartition to add lazytime to the mount options for the partition with the savefile and the filesystem inside the savefile.

I never bothered to re-compress it and didn't notice any difference.

I presume you are still talking about initrd (left as a cpio archive), but simply not bothering to gz or xz or whatever compress it? So to edit its internal init you would still have to decompress the cpio archive, or are you meaning something else?

https://www.tinylinux.info/
DOWNLOAD wd_multi for hundreds of 'distros' at your fingertips: viewtopic.php?p=99154#p99154
Αξίζει να μεταφραστεί;

LateAdopter

Post by LateAdopter »

I unzipped the initrd.gz from imppup first so that it was called initrd. Then, in fatdog, one click unpacks the cpio and then one click will repack it after I have done the editing. So fatdog saves me from learning about cpio.
Since I was experimenting I left it unzipped so that it was trivial to fix my mistakes.

Return to “Users”