EasyOS 32-bit i686 Dunfell-series version 4.3.5

Moderator: BarryK

BarryK

EasyOS 32-bit i686 Dunfell-series version 4.3.5

Post by BarryK »

Version 4.3.5 released, for old 32-bit i686 computers.
If your computer has 486 or 586 CPU, too old.
If it has the old ISA expansion bus, not PCI, again too old.
Minimum screen size 1024x768, minimum RAM 512MB (with swap partition).

I haven't provided a update "difference file" this time. Limine bootloader now version 3.16, which has fixes for some old computers, so prefer fresh write to the usb-stick, rather than update.

Features of this release:

Firefox 104.0, SeaMonkey 2.53.13, Limine 3.16
A complete recompile in OE, now "-r4", removed all efi-related packages.
Samba is now builtin.
Geany-plugins now builtin.
Nim language compiler is in the devx sfs.

Please don't use this on 64-bit computers, or computers with UEFI. The Linux kernel is for legacy-BIOS booting only, and will only recognize 4GB RAM.

Download from here, English, French and German builds:

https://distro.ibiblio.org/easyos/x86/r ... 022/4.3.5/

If you need help how to write the image file to usb-stick, see here:

https://easyos.org/install/how-to-write ... drive.html

Have fun!

bugnaw333

Easy OS on Ventoy

Post by bugnaw333 »

This is what we are getting for EasyOS 64bit and 32bit versions on Ventoy:

Attachments
ventoy.jpg
ventoy.jpg (78.47 KiB) Viewed 2973 times
BarryK

Re: Easy OS on Ventoy

Post by BarryK »

bugnaw333 wrote: Thu Aug 25, 2022 4:08 am

This is what we are getting for EasyOS 64bit and 32bit versions on Ventoy:

What jumps out immediately in that photo is "mnt/zram0".
It seems that you haven't told the kernel where easy.sfs is.

From the photo, it has found initrd, but not easy.sfs.

The three files, vmlinuz, initrd and easy.sfs should all be together.

The kernel will use these parameters to find easy.sfs: specified on the kernel commandline, with "wkg_uuid=" and "wkg_dir=" parameters.

Instead of wkg_uuid, you could use "wkg_label=" or "wkg_dev="

In the latter case, if the working-partition is /dev/sdb2, then use "wkg_dev=sdb2".
But if you are booting from usb, then the drive letters may change, so best to use filesystem uuid or label.

So whatever bootloader you are using, you have specified where initrd is, but have not told the kernel where the ext4 working partition is (and where to find easy.sfs).

step

Re: EasyOS 32-bit i686 Dunfell-series version 4.3.5

Post by step »

First boot from a new 8GB USB stick on an old ASUS eeeTop PC went smoothly, bravo! This ASUS features a dual-core 1.6GHz Atom processor, 3 GB RAM, NVIDIA ION GPU, and is generally very slow. It runs Win7 OK but slow.

On first run of firefox EasyOS displayed a dialog about hardware acceleration being off and which file to edit to enable it but I didn't take a note. Later, to read that message again I found it in /usr/sbin/client-setup. TLDR; "Hardware acceleration has been disabled for stability. To enable, edit /usr/lib/firefox/distribution/policies.js, then start Firefox and enable in Settings."

After enabling HW acceleration, youtube video was still stuttering, so I thought I should try the NVIDIA ION proprietary driver instead of nouveau. So download dev.sfs, download kernel sources sfs, download nvidia driver installer (.run file extension), blacklist nouveau from the BootManager, reboot in command line (no X), run the nvidia installer .run file, ... "kernel module 100% compiled" ... then the installer just sits there forever. My previous experience with the NDIVIA installer on other distro/computer is that after compiling the module the installer installs the new module and some new libraries, depmods, and leaves the OS ready to boot. Anyway, I suspect that EasyOS needs extra steps to add new kernel modules, does it? Has the NVIDIA proprietary driver been built before for EasyOS? If so how? I also briefly read about EasyOS hardware profiles, and I was wondering how I would go about adding the proprietary driver to the eeeTop's hardware profile.

I wanted to get ssh access so I enabled sshd from the service manager and opened port 22 from the firewall manager and rebooted. I'm still unable to ssh login; the error message says that the remote computer closed the connection (maybe 'refused', I can't remember). I'll need to trace back my steps to find out what's wrong. Meanwhile, upon ssh login will sshd ask for the encryption's password or is that different from zeus/root's default password, and what would that password be? Hmm, I wonder if I should change root's password before trying to connect to sshd - maybe that's why it's refusing to connect?

Thanks.

BarryK

Post by BarryK »

step,
To compile a kernel module, you will need both the "devx" and the kernel source SFSs loaded.

step

Post by step »

BarryK wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 1:57 pm

step,
To compile a kernel module, you will need both the "devx" and the kernel source SFSs loaded.

I did load both devx and kernel sources - that wasn't the issue. The module compiled 100% and there was no error from the nvidia installer; it just didn't proceed to install the additional libraries and the compiled module - so I presume. Regardless, is the process of adding a module to EasyOS just like it is for others Linux distributions? I'm familiar with what I need to do for those. Are there additional steps needed for EasyOS?

BarryK

Post by BarryK »

step wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 4:41 pm
BarryK wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 1:57 pm

step,

I did load both devx and kernel sources - that wasn't the issue. The module compiled 100% and there was no error from the nvidia installer; it just didn't proceed to install the additional libraries and the compiled module - so I presume. Regardless, is the process of adding a module to EasyOS just like it is for others Linux distributions? I'm familiar with what I need to do for those. Are there additional steps needed for EasyOS?

"make install" will work like any Linux distribution.

don570

EasyOS version 4.3.5 -64 bit

Post by don570 »

EasyOS version 64 bit 4.3.5
Downloaded:
https://distro.ibiblio.org/easyos/x86/r ... .5-x86.img

Frugal install using 'menu.lst'

Code: Select all

title EasyOS Dunfell (partition sda3 folder easyos)
  find --set-root-uuid () 054a04b8-0f00-11ed-aeb9-287fcfeb4376
  kernel /easyos/vmlinuz rw wkg_uuid=054a04b8-0f00-11ed-aeb9-287fcfeb4376 wkg_dir=easyos
  initrd /easyos/initrd

Samba is installed and works well.

However I noticed following:
The first time I shutdown there was a delay of several minutes to save some samba files
(according to console screen).
This didn't reoccur on subsequent shutdowns

Appimages didn't work. They don't execute.
In EasyOS version 4.3.4 they did work

binaries compiled on different linux distro wouldn't work.
However I could compile when devx was installed.

See
rip-mime-gui
for an example of compiled binary

don570

pfilesearch 2.3 maybe

Post by don570 »

pfilesearch-maybe 2.3
solved problem with foldernames

ptmtimer - simple timer/alarm
also works well. I noticed that if I set it as the root user then it can pop-up a message while using a container. Interesting.

There should be a clearer warning that when choosing 'roll back to fresh' at boot time because there is a wiping out of root's data files

With dunfell 435 I had to switch over to pulse audio driver (using handy app in start menu)
Then I could play and edit audio files. MhwaveEdit has preference setting to use pulse drier.

Nim could be used to write code once devx was installed.

moijdikssekool

Post by moijdikssekool »

hi
i use a multiboot (ventoy) on a usb stick, the boot of easyOS aborts instantly

jeang3nie

Post by jeang3nie »

Running this now, my first experience with EasyOS. It's very interesting (which I would expect from a Barry K project).

Don't want to hijack the thread, but hello to anybody from back in the old days. I was Nathan F on the old Murga forum. I still remember booting Puppy for the first time as version 1.0.2 from a business card sized CD. Things have moved on obviously, but it's still a nice dose of nostalgia running this.

Thanks -
Nate

Puppyt

Post by Puppyt »

jeang3nie wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 3:58 pm

Running this now, my first experience with EasyOS. It's very interesting (which I would expect from a Barry K project).

Don't want to hijack the thread, but hello to anybody from back in the old days. I was Nathan F on the old Murga forum. I still remember booting Puppy for the first time as version 1.0.2 from a business card sized CD. Things have moved on obviously, but it's still a nice dose of nostalgia running this.

Thanks -
Nate

Rock On, Nate - I recall your Grafpup with both glee and awe (and I still have a dedicated CD burn to it)... but I am also OT - just logged on to briefly genuflect :)

Responding to moljdlkssekool briefly regarding multitool bootup attempts with EasyOS viewtopic.php?p=67338#p67338 - I also had similar fails with EasyOS on ventoy, and also with YUMI (most recent version, both UEFI and Legacy avenues). EasyOs and all latest-model Puppy versions I tried, also bawked/borked/baulked. Perhaps its something about the way Puppy now structures itself, given recent woof advances? Dunno - and its been months since I last revisited the topic. As for EasyOS I recall that Barry announced on his blog regarding non-standard bootup from live (install), and his workaround for booting from a non-multiboot USB is outlined here https://easyos.org/install/how-to-write ... drive.html
HTH

BarryK

Post by BarryK »

Nathan F and Grafpup -- I just joined the dots!

Welcome back to the forum Nathan!

Return to “EasyOS”