Build scripts developments

wiak

Build scripts developments

Post by wiak »

Been a long time since a new release of the WDL firstrib rootfilesystem builder script
and whilst the WDL skeleton initrd has had several revisions over the past year there has been no release of the build script for creating that weedog initrd for ages either...

Will soon be new releases of each. I've been very slowly (off and on) working on updating these two WDL build distro scripts for a LONG time, so am keen to get that out there and off my TODO list.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NEW distro variant capability in build_firstrib_rootfs script (in addition to the existing Void Linux, Ubuntu, Debian, Devuan, and Arch Linux build types):

Fedora... Though I'm not a fan for my own everyday use at all nowadays, RedHat is very important for those in academia since RedHat Certified Engineer is the major professional Linux admin course/certification taught in tertiary institutions, so RedHat's way of doing things (including use of its package manager, multi-user admin, and systemd of course!) is an essential in such studies.

I am only providing the most basic of f_plugins that allows buid_firstrib_rootfs.sh to create a commandline only Fedora Rawhide. Of course that 'firstrib_rootfs' build plugin can be extended by someone who knows Fedora packages well enough to build complete X desktop distro (just a matter of tracking down the appropriate packages and perhaps including some basic configuration in that extended f_plugin). I may or may not myself try to make a simple f_plugin X variant for building that X-desktop fedora root filesystem (with XFCE or whatever), but nice if someone does since I will probably prefer to work on something else on my ever-increasing todo list!

Here is some output from build I just completed and booted on my system. So this is my first ever weedogged Fedora...:

Code: Select all

# uname -a
Linux fedora 5.19.0-65.fc37.x86_64 #1 SMP PREEMPT_DYNAMIC Mon Aug 1 13:18:35 UTC 2022 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

# dnf --help | head -n 17
usage: dnf [options] COMMAND

List of Main Commands:

alias                     List or create command aliases
autoremove                remove all unneeded packages that were originally installed as dependencies
check                     check for problems in the packagedb
check-update              check for available package upgrades
clean                     remove cached data
deplist                   [deprecated, use repoquery --deplist] List package's dependencies and what packages provide them
distro-sync               synchronize installed packages to the latest available versions
downgrade                 Downgrade a package
group                     display, or use, the groups information
help                      display a helpful usage message
history                   display, or use, the transaction history
info                      display details about a package or group of packages
install                   install a package or packages on your system

# mount | head -n 4 | tail -n 3
overlay_result on / type overlay (rw,relatime,lowerdir=08,upperdir=/mnt/nvme0n1p8/WDL_fedora/upper_changes,workdir=/mnt/nvme0n1p8/WDL_fedora/work)
rootfs on /mnt/layers type rootfs (rw,size=16214360k,nr_inodes=4053590,inode64)
inram on /mnt/layers/RAM type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,relatime,size=32546844k,inode64)

Not exactly exciting, I know, but exciting to me in a way since not many simple frugal installable Fedora's out there that I know of anyway, and this one has full WDL initrd overlayfs flexibility of course! Indeed I may even include this simplest build variant in weedogit script just for anyone needing a quick built-to-boot Fedora hit. Truth to tell it was easy to add to the build_firstrib_rootfs script. Fedora doesn't provide any kind of static package manager build system (unlike Void Linux), nor I believe any Debian-type debootstrap mechanism... rather, the root filesystem core that I'm using is ready made tar.gz by Fedora itself for docker image I believe so that just needed downloaded and untarred. In fact, even better, someone else has written a small script to find latest tar.gz of that, so I just employ their script. Then the f_plugin takes over to provide the key benefit of build_firstrib_rootfs functionality prior to being weedogged with build_weedog_initrd (or manually via the ready-built WDL skeleton initrd or, auto-script-built by weedogit.sh; so many ways to build a weedog...).

https://www.tinylinux.info/
DOWNLOAD wd_multi for hundreds of 'distros' at your fingertips: viewtopic.php?p=99154#p99154
Αξίζει να μεταφραστεί;

Return to “Blog”