Multiple Monitors Use Options in our homes

What works, and doesn't, for you. Be specific, and please include Puppy version.

Moderator: Forum moderators

Clarity

Multiple Monitors Use Options in our homes

Post by Clarity »

YES, many of us, now, have multiple things we can view content that will connect to our PCs in the home. This allow us to have options of which unit to allow our PCs to drive its video+audio content to. Almost every PC video cards over the last decade have HDMI ports that will allow connection to HDMI capable displays for its multimedia content.

For the last decade, almost, I have been a user of HDMI KVMs as I have multiple PCs that are used to display thru one monitor, selectively. Thus, for my TVs, only one HDMI port is used and I switch PCs as need when viewing a particular PC's content. The KVM allow me to 'switch' from one PC to another in a lag-free manner.

BUT, today, I was looking at another solution which I thought I would share with you: A HDMI "Switch"!

A SWITCH is different vs a KVM as it ONLY routes HDMI content only and has no other function. KVMs are different with a different mission in what content is routed and usually specs as well.

In my research, I found 3 short videos that will give anyone a complete picture of a SWITCH in performance, in setup, and in use scenarios. If this is information that you would like to see, here is the videos I found helpful. :geek:

One way to use a switch
One way to use a switch
HDMI connect option.jpeg (10.56 KiB) Viewed 788 times

This post is NOT about any vendor, specifically!!! It intends only to show how a switch works...not about ANY ventor. Again I am NOT promoting any vendor in sharing this info. I found them useful info in clear connections, advice, and benefits.

Also of note: There is NO software involved in use of this hardware.

As has been reported for use of USB cables in the forum, it is IMPORTANT to have appropriate HDMI cables; ie there will be alerts for 4K and for 8K ... you will want to have cables appropriate for signal transfer.

Enjoy

Return to “Hardware”