Multilingual Spoken Startup Welcome Plus Internet Alarm:New Version 22nd July 2022

Moderator: Forum moderators

ETP

Multilingual Spoken Startup Welcome Plus Internet Alarm:New Version 22nd July 2022

Post by ETP »

Multilingual Spoken Startup Welcome Plus Internet Connection alarm:-New Version 22nd July 2022

This .pet (startup_welcome_alert_covid-mk8) provides a verbal multilingual welcome plus an alarm should a working internet connection not have been established.
The spoken welcome varies according to the time of day & the script also verifies that a working Internet connection exists.
If it does not, an alarm will sound instead of the welcome.
Both the greeting and the alarm are supplemented by on-screen messages in English.

Only a single mp3 audio file is included in the .pet for the alarm, everything else including translation is handled by TTS.
This pet is suitable for use with recent WoofCE Pups and has been tested with 666philb's Bionicpup64 8.0 & Fossapup64 9.0.5

Changes In This Version
Minor code improvements. The mk7 version was downloaded 41 times.

Installation:

1. Use ppm to install xdotool & mpv if not currently present.

2. Use ppm to install translate-shell_0.9.6.6-1 plus it's dependencies if not already present.

3.Install the attached pet, then reboot ensuring that you save the session.The pet will activate following a further reboot & save.

Notes:

A. The language code used for speech is extracted automatically from your settings variable($LANG).

B. No browsers are involved in this process.

C. The text to be spoken can easily be changed.

D: The previous pet (startup_welcome_alert_covid-mk7.pet) improved on earlier pets with an extra option
that appended Covid 19 advice to the text to be spoken in your native language.
If you do not wish to hear the Covid advice, just comment out the complete covid line at the top of the main script.

E. In conclusion loads of fun plus multiple potential uses. (trans -h for help)
:

Attachments
startup_welcome_alert_covid-mk8.pet
(161.5 KiB) Downloaded 63 times
Last edited by ETP on Fri Jul 22, 2022 6:17 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Regards ETP
Current go-to Pup since Feb 2019 - BionicPup64 8.0
Video - https://photos.app.goo.gl/HYLupyMGcQFP81z69

On test - Ubuntu Cinnamon Remix 20.10 (Groovy Gorilla)
Video - https://photos.app.goo.gl/xGbQYtioXt6mzoi48
Clarity

Re: Multilingual Spoken Startup Welcome Plus Internet Alarm

Post by Clarity »

This is one of the more forward-thinking additions from a forward-thinker! :thumbup2:

It helps us to understand the benefit when our systems vocally alert us to issues.

This should get all of us thinking about this kind of behavior as we barrel ahead in time.

Thanks for this and I hope for many more from the community. Our thinking about these things in desktops is changing and we must adapt, too.
mikewalsh

Re: Multilingual Spoken Startup Welcome Plus Internet Alarm

Post by mikewalsh »

Coo, and folks wonder where I get some of MY strange ideas from..!! :lol: :lol:

@ETP :- I still use --silent-launch. Remember Chromebook Pup v.1? Only I've since modified my personal version to give me a GTK message on-screen, reminding me Chrome has already started & is running in the background....

I have all sorts of ideas percolating through my thick skull. Who KNOWS what might yet surface?

Hey, it's Linux we're talking about. And Linux is the king of easy customization, if nothing else. I get far more satisfaction out of building summat small & functional in Puppy than I ever used to get out of installing somebody else's creation in Windows, I tell ya.....

You using a text-to-speech engine on this thing, hmm?

Mike. :P

Puppy "stuff" ~ MORE Puppy "stuff" ~ ....and MORE! :D

ETP

Re: Multilingual Spoken Startup Welcome Plus Internet Alarm:New Version 22nd July 2022

Post by ETP »

New pet issued today.
Please see original post for details and download.

Regards ETP

Clarity

Needed:: Multilingual Spoken Startup Welcome Plus Internet Alarm:New Version 22nd July 2022

Post by Clarity »

@ETP THANKYOU, as you help us see the advantages of use of vocals in our systems. This brings all sorts of implied improvements in system alerts as well as applications that help us in tasks accomplishments.

Your helpful presentations to us"could' spur a change in how we the users and this development community could start a movement toward an impactful and attractive behavior that really could attract young people who have grown up with talking systems and games for years The old, here, will struggle to desire to implement while the young will see the advantages.

I ASK:

• Could you also post your Chrome update PET (ie. Get_Chrome) as a very useful demonstration that we can use?.

• And, you also have a PET for alerting the user if his internet disappears unexpectedly as well as its alert when the desktop starts to let use know he has clear passage to the internet.

• And you also have a PET, I think, that can be instructed to announce the time, ie 'SayTime' (kind of a vocal coo-coo clock?

• Or if you could release one of your experimental PUPs like one for FossaPUP ;) that we could review for its implementation in future PUPs?

Others too, seeing these working examples might be inspired to envision the benefits its offers.

ETP

Re: Multilingual Spoken Startup Welcome Plus Internet Alarm:New Version 22nd July 2022

Post by ETP »

Hi Clarity,

Could you also post your Chrome update PET (ie. Get_Chrome) as a very useful demonstration that we can use?.

Links and posts to all of the latest versions of my speechified pets including Chrome, are to be found in the following thread:

https://forum.puppylinux.com/viewtopic.php?t=636

And, you also have a PET for alerting the user if his internet disappears unexpectedly as well as its alert when the desktop starts to let use know he has clear passage to the internet.

Not as far as I can recall. TTS could not be used without internet access to the web based translation engines (google [default] or bing/yandex)
A locally held mp3 of a spoken warning would be needed. In startup welcome alert I used a 10 second klaxon recording for the alarm.

And you also have a PET, I think, that can be instructed to announce the time, ie 'SayTime' (kind of a vocal coo-coo clock?

Not me chief ! The closest thing I have to that is the spoken low battery warning.

Or if you could release one of your experimental PUPs like one for FossaPUP ;) that we could review for its implementation in future PUPs?

That was a couple of years back now and was a Fossapup 9.5 ISO with an additional 6 MB Y drive containing 10 of the pets mentioned in the above thread. Most of the pet versions are well out of date now as is Fossa itself. Users can just install the latest pets referenced in that thread that appeal to them if any. There is little point in issuing an ISO that is now so out of date.

Regards ETP

josejp2424

Post by josejp2424 »

ETP wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 8:34 pm

Multilingual Spoken Startup Welcome Plus Internet Connection alarm:-New Version 22nd July 2022

This .pet (startup_welcome_alert_covid-mk8) provides a verbal multilingual welcome plus an alarm should a working internet connection not have been established.
The spoken welcome varies according to the time of day & the script also verifies that a working Internet connection exists.
If it does not, an alarm will sound instead of the welcome.
Both the greeting and the alarm are supplemented by on-screen messages in English.

Only a single mp3 audio file is included in the .pet for the alarm, everything else including translation is handled by TTS.
This pet is suitable for use with recent WoofCE Pups and has been tested with 666philb's Bionicpup64 8.0 & Fossapup64 9.0.5

Changes In This Version
Minor code improvements. The mk7 version was downloaded 41 times.

Installation:

1. Use ppm to install xdotool & mpv if not currently present.

2. Use ppm to install translate-shell_0.9.6.6-1 plus it's dependencies if not already present.

3.Install the attached pet, then reboot ensuring that you save the session.The pet will activate following a further reboot & save.

Notes:

A. The language code used for speech is extracted automatically from your settings variable($LANG).

B. No browsers are involved in this process.

C. The text to be spoken can easily be changed.

D: The previous pet (startup_welcome_alert_covid-mk7.pet) improved on earlier pets with an extra option
that appended Covid 19 advice to the text to be spoken in your native language.
If you do not wish to hear the Covid advice, just comment out the complete covid line at the top of the main script.

E. In conclusion loads of fun plus multiple potential uses. (trans -h for help)
:

thank you @ETP
I really like this .pet

Return to “Desktop”