The Debian-Live Daedalus Starter Kit

Moderator: fredx181

dancytron

Re: The Debian-Live Bullseye Starter Kit

Post by dancytron »

rcrsn51 wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 12:54 pm

This is Sound Card Selector v1.7 with a "2-0-2" Quick Select button. It can be useful if you require a third audio device like a USB sound card adapter.

I just installed this for my new usb headseat in Busterdog.

Do you think I should pin it so it doesn't get overwritten?

rcrsn51

Post by rcrsn51 »

dancytron wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 12:38 am

I don't know what you mean.

dancytron

Post by dancytron »

rcrsn51 wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 1:39 am
dancytron wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 12:38 am

I don't know what you mean.

Should I set it so that it doesn't automatically update with "apt-get update" so that I don't overwrite the 2-0-2 "quick select" button version of the script?

rcrsn51

Post by rcrsn51 »

There is already a newer version 1.8 posted above and in Fred's repo. Why would you not want it to update?

dancytron

Post by dancytron »

rcrsn51 wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 7:03 am

There is already a newer version 1.8 posted above and in Fred's repo. Why would you not want it to update?

Maybe I misunderstood, but I thought the "2-0-2 quick select" button (which I need) isn't in the default version.

rcrsn51

Post by rcrsn51 »

A new version of the Multi Installer is posted on Page 1.

Instructions for making the Starter Kit bootable flash drive are on Page 2.

The discussions about GRUB2/GPT and UEFI/SecureBoot on Page 5 have been updated.

rcrsn51

The Bullseye Starter Kit and Ventoy

Post by rcrsn51 »

On BIOS machines, the Starter Kit ISO works OOTB with the Ventoy USB launcher. But on UEFI systems, it needs a small modification.

1. In the Ventoy "boot" partition, locate the file /grub/localboot.cfg.

2. Replace it with the version attached below. (Remove the fake .gz extension).

3. Boot off the Ventoy USB drive.

4. At the first menu, press F4.

5. At the second menu, select the Starter Kit.

This technique can also be used with the ISO tool of the Multi Installer. Here is an example that boots Fatdog directly from its ISO file:

Code: Select all

menuentry "Fatdog64-812 ISO boot from Ventoy" {
  echo "Booting Fatdog64-812 ..."
  set isopath="/Fatdog64-812.iso"
  search --no-floppy --file --set=root $isopath
  loopback loop $isopath
  set root=(loop)
  linux (loop)/vmlinuz
  initrd (loop)/initrd
}

You could also use the Multi Installer to do a frugal install onto Ventoy's data partition and boot it with F4.

------------------

Attachments
localboot.cfg.gz
Remove the fake .gz extension
(294 Bytes) Downloaded 47 times
Last edited by rcrsn51 on Thu Jun 09, 2022 11:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
rcrsn51

Post by rcrsn51 »

This is a 2014 Acer Aspire E11 Win8 "cloudbook" with an N2840 chipset, 2GB RAM and 32GB eMMC drive. These units were briefly promoted by Microsoft as Chromebook alternatives, but disappeared once consumers realized how useless they were.

Like other early UEFI implementations, this one ties UEFI to the Win8 install. So when you delete Windows, UEFI refuses to acknowledge that the eMMC drive still exists. (But it will boot from a UEFI flash drive.)

Luckily, it works fine in Legacy Mode. I reformatted the drive for Linux and put GRUB2 on the MBR.

Even with such puny hardware, it can run Google Earth out of the Chromium browser.

--------------

Attachments
xscreenshot.jpg
xscreenshot.jpg (28.24 KiB) Viewed 6730 times
gumanzoy

Post by gumanzoy »

rcrsn51 wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 6:27 pm

This is a 2014 Acer Aspire E11 Win8 "cloudbook" with an N2840 chipset, 2GB RAM and 32GB eMMC drive. These units were briefly promoted by Microsoft as Chromebook alternatives, but disappeared once consumers realized how useless they were.

Not disappeared. From 2021
Asus E210MA-GJ001T 11.6", Intel Celeron N4020, 2x1.1GHz, RAM 4GB, eMMC 64GB, Win10 Home

Not have Legacy/CSM, but UEFI works fine.

rcrsn51

Post by rcrsn51 »

This is xscreenshot by jamesbond again from here (#245). This version is bound to the PrtScr key.

I like how you can drag a box around part of the screen and capture just that area.

Be aware that there is no popup confirmation message. When the mouse pointer returns to its original shape, it's done.

Attachments
xscreenshot_1.1_amd64.deb.gz
(15.97 KiB) Downloaded 49 times
wiak

Post by wiak »

rcrsn51 wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 4:22 pm

This is xscreenshot by jamesbond again from here (#245). This version is bound to the PrtScr key.

I like how you can drag a box around part of the screen and capture just that area.

Be aware that there is no popup confirmation message. When the mouse pointer returns to its original shape, it's done.

Nice program. I didn't know it existed before. Previously I have always used scrot or my forked version "scrox" that adds outputting of the X,Y coords for use in other programs (such as weX) after dragging box around part of the screen (but otherwise works identically as pure scrot): http://forum.puppylinux.com/viewtopic.php?t=260

xscreenshot seems a bit simpler to use than scrot (and therefore scrox) though.

Also scrot/scrox needs dependencies giblib1 and libimlib2, so maybe more complex to install.

https://www.tinylinux.info/
DOWNLOAD wd_multi for hundreds of 'distros' at your fingertips: viewtopic.php?p=99154#p99154
Αξίζει να μεταφραστεί;

rcrsn51

Post by rcrsn51 »

Thanks for your test report of v1.1, even though you never downloaded the package.

But at least you got to engage in some self-aggrandizement.

Enough is enough.

wiak

Post by wiak »

rcrsn51 wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 2:39 am

Thanks for your test report of v1.1, even though you never downloaded the package.

Enough is enough.

I beg your pardon. Who are you posting that message to?
If it was to me, I downloaded xscreenshot and tested it (it wasn't a separate package but included with Xannotate).

I found it very interesting and noted the comparison with scrot and scrox, which is relevant.

If that rude post was to me then I am giving you less than one warning for no matter your status on this forum you will be the first person I have personally banned from here. As a founding admin of this forum I have avoided every using that privilege that was given to me, but I was physically shaking after I read your response and still can hardly type because of it - I am an almost seventy years old man who has had two strokes a year ago. I will think on this for a short time, but I it is me who says "Enough is enough"

https://www.tinylinux.info/
DOWNLOAD wd_multi for hundreds of 'distros' at your fingertips: viewtopic.php?p=99154#p99154
Αξίζει να μεταφραστεί;

fredx181

Post by fredx181 »

If everyone would get banned after being rude sometimes, I guess no one will be left (except me, perhaps :D ).
Btw, isn't this born out of a misunderstanding? (apart from some irritations in the past). I must admit that I didn't understand how wiak could have tried xscreenshot while it (the above .deb package) wasn't downloaded yet at that time but it turned out that he downloaded from jamesbond's website.
Take it easy !

rockedge
Site Admin

Post by rockedge »

Enough is enough.

I am pissed off now. Irrational....maybe...but I can afford it Man I have downloaded just about everything multiple times from this forum. I can tell EVERYONE RIGHT NOW those download numbers don't mean much, at best a roundabout.

@rcrsn51 let's hear now the justification. Some passive aggressive thing because you feel I'm stepping all over your Puppy? Disregarding traditions and history? Or what? Why is it I wake up excited to see what's being talked about and instead it's stress and bitching.

I have a wife,a boss and the government for that shit

Bad news on TV bad new on the radio and this being what I have to address instead of actually experimenting with what you offered in the first place.

My feeling is you really want to say something to me nasty but refrain for obvious reasons. So you dropped this on wiak instead. Or is it you're just "misunderstood"?

rcrsn51

Post by rcrsn51 »

BT4Stretch v2.5 is posted on page 24 above.

rcrsn51

PeasyPDF

Post by rcrsn51 »

This is PeasyPDF v4.6. It adds support for N-up printing - putting several pages of the PDF document on each printed sheet.

You can also print multiple copies of the same PDF (like a mailing label) on one page. Look in the Join section for the Duplicate tool.

Update: PeasyPDF v4.7 adds another option for N-up printing. PeasyPDF does not format N-up pages on its own - it just sends the print job to the CUPS "lp" command using the option "-o number-up=x". While this generally works well, some PDF files do not render correctly.

As a work-around, select the "PS mode" option. This converts the PDF into Postscript, then prints it. To preview the N-up print job, use the PDF-Writer virtual printer attached below.

But if N-up printing is a regular task, you may prefer a dedicated app like Boomaga. The squashfs module made with repo2sfs is 12MB.

---------------------

Attachments
pdf-writer_2.3_all.deb.gz
(6.24 KiB) Downloaded 40 times
peasypdf_4.7_all.deb.gz
(7.35 KiB) Downloaded 49 times
Last edited by rcrsn51 on Tue Jul 26, 2022 1:24 pm, edited 3 times in total.
rcrsn51

efibootmgr

Post by rcrsn51 »

Readers of this thread are familiar with the techniques for booting UEFI systems with GRUB2. These are well-tested and also work with Secure Boot. There are situations where it is easier/necessary to leave Secure Boot enabled.

There is also some discussion about dual-booting Linux with an existing Windows install. The simplest procedure is to rename the Windows EFI folder as EFI-WIN and put GRUB's EFI folder in the ESP. This makes GRUB the primary bootloader. Windows can be launched from the GRUB menu by chainloading.

chainloader /EFI-WIN/Microsoft/Boot/bootmgfw.efi

The Multi Installer has a tool for generating the full menu entry. This usually works OK, but there are situations where Windows expects to find its stuff in the correctly named EFI location, like during a Windows Update.

The solution is to have just one EFI folder in the ESP that contains both the Windows and GRUB content. Unfortunately, this may restore Windows as the primary bootloader, removing access to your Linux installs. This can be fixed with the efibootmgr tool.

Hint: make a squashfs module for the efibootmgr package that you can load on demand.

1. Run: efibootmgr
Note the numbered set of available bootloaders and the BootOrder list.

2. Run: efibootmgr -v
This shows some info about each loader. It may include the path to the loader's .efi file or be mostly gibberish.

3. Create a bootloader entry specifically for GRUB. For example:

efibootmgr -c -d /dev/sda -p 1 -L 'GRUB' -l '\EFI\BOOT\BOOTX64.EFI'

The arguments are:
-c create a new loader
-d the device where the ESP is located. For an emmc drive, it might be /dev/mmcblk0. For an nvme drive, use /dev/nvme0n1.
-p the partition number of the ESP
-L a label for the loader
-l the full path of the GRUB .efi file. Note the use of single quotes and backslashes.

4. Check that this new bootloader is at the start of the BootOrder list and reboot.

5. Now you can boot Windows from the GRUB menu with

chainloader /EFI/Microsoft/Boot/bootmgfw.efi

Hints: If you make a mistake, you can delete a bootloader with the following. But use with care!

efibootmgr -b xxxx -B

You can also set your own boot order with

efibootmgr -o xxxx,yyyy,zzzz

----------------

Last edited by rcrsn51 on Sat Aug 12, 2023 12:48 pm, edited 9 times in total.
rcrsn51

AV-Editor

Post by rcrsn51 »

AV-Editor v2.5 is posted above.

AV-Converter v2.5 is here.

Update: AV-Editor v2.6 is now posted above.

rcrsn51

Wireless downloads from Android to computer

Post by rcrsn51 »

If you want to download files from your Android phone/tablet without getting out the USB cable, the simplest way is to put an HTTP server on the device. Once the device has joined your network via WiFi, you can download files through any web browser using an URL like "http://192.168.2.100:12345".

My favourite app from the Google Store is Simple HTTP Server by ubi.jp.

If you don't have a home WiFi LAN, you can create one using Wlanmaker, assuming that your computer's WiFi adapter is capable of working as an access point.

1. Get Wlanmaker from below. The dependency is hostapd.

2. Start Wlanmaker from a terminal with: wlanmaker

3. Connect the Android device to this WiFi network and start the HTTP server. It will display its IP address. (Make sure that the on/off button says ON.)

4. On your computer, open a web browser and go to this address. Right-click-download some files.

-------------------

WlanMaker

WlanMaker uses your computer's WiFi adapter to create a temporary wireless network.

Your WiFi adapter must be capable of switching into an access point. Internal units that use the ath5k, ath9k or b43 drivers work, as do many Intel Centrino adapters using the iwlwifi driver. The Broadcom vendor wl driver does NOT work.

Certain external USB WiFi adapters like carl9170 and rt2800usb also work. Some Realtek adapters like the 8192cu or 8192eu work but they may require custom drivers from the combo-wifi-driver-pack.

---------------

The basic WlanMaker setup is NOT an Internet sharing tool. It does not provide Internet access to client computers. But see below.

The program is /usr/local/bin/wlanmaker. Open the script in a text editor and note these lines at the top:

IFACE="wlan0"
SSID="MyOwnWiFi"
PASS="woof1234"
SUBNET="192.168.51"
DNS="8.8.8.8"
ROUTE=""

Select your own SSID and passphrase. This creates a WPA2-encrypted network with DHCP that hands out IP addresses in the range 192.168.51.10-250. If you prefer an open network, use the passphrase "none". The server computer gets the IP address 192.168.51.1 on its wlan0 interface.

Start WlanMaker from a terminal with: wlanmaker

If WlanMaker does NOT return a # prompt, it is working and ready to receive clients. Leave the terminal window open for the duration of the session.

For example, you could turn your laptop into a self-contained wireless HTTP server. Or you could add the p910nd print server and make a "WiFi Direct" printer.

Windows client machines may show the connection as "limited" because there is no Internet access.

-----------------

To enable Internet sharing, do the following:

The server machine needs the additional package "iptables" via apt-get.

Set the above ROUTE variable to the server's Internet-facing port, like eth0.

Client machines will get an IP address via DHCP and a route to the Internet.

--------------------------

Update: Numerous downloads. Zero feedback. Zero test reports. Project withdrawn. If anyone still wants it, they can post a request.

--------------------------

Last edited by rcrsn51 on Thu Jul 21, 2022 9:40 am, edited 8 times in total.
rcrsn51

CamPhoneTab

Post by rcrsn51 »

This is CamPhoneTab v1.8 from here. The new dependencies are: gphoto2, gphotofs, jmtpfs.

1. Unplug the device.
2. Install the attached package.
3. Plug in the device by USB.
4. Swipe down from the top of the screen. Look for USB/Camera/MTP/File settings.
5. Run CamPhoneTab from the Accessories menu.
6. If a window does not display correctly in pcmanfm, press F5 to refresh it.

The iDevice tools are untested so I have left them off the Depends list.
To access iDevices, you will need these additional packages: ifuse usbmuxd libimobiledevice-utils
Please test and report.

-----------------

Attachments
camphonetab_1.8_all.deb.gz
(3.49 KiB) Downloaded 78 times
rcrsn51

Simple Python HTTP Server

Post by rcrsn51 »

Here is Simple Python HTTP Server v1.3. The original instructions are here.

The server also works with symlinks. Suppose you want to share both your Photos and Tunes folders. Make another folder that contains links back to Photos and Tunes. Start the server with that folder.

Or you can start two instances of the server on different ports, like Photos on port 8000 and Tunes on port 8001.

--------------------

Attachments
simple-python-http-server_1.3_all.deb.gz
(8.81 KiB) Downloaded 67 times
mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

@rcrsn51 :-

Bill, I take my hat off to you. This thing is SO simple, and easy to use, that it's brilliant!

I had put the old Dell lappie out to pasture, and re-purposed the PATA SSD I'd fitted some years ago.....but after some re-jigging, I found I no longer needed the SSD for its "new" purpose, so it was sitting there, "going begging" again. So....I thought, "What the hell", put the SSD back into the Dell, and re-installed Tahrpup 6.0.5 again. (Which has always been the best Puppy 'fit' for this old girl, by a mile.)

And that means sitting outside with it again on a nice day.....like today. So.....

.....that meant I needed an easy, light-as-a-feather method for transferring stuff back-and-forth once more. In years gone by, I used to use your Samba-TNG package, but I spotted this post, and decided to take a closer look. Tiny; feather-light; I liked the look of it straight away. (I might develop relatively "heavyweight" apps for community use on my main, high-powered rig, but ye anciente Dell, being powered by a lowly P4 and a mere dribble of RAM, is right at t'other end of the spectrum.....so any software needs to be as light as possible. And with the Upload facility, too, this fits the bill perfectly.

Credit where credit is due, mate. Thank you SO much!

Mike. ;)

Puppy "stuff" ~ MORE Puppy "stuff" ~ ....and MORE! :D

Clarity

Post by Clarity »

@rcrsn51, in your opinion, it the above utility aimed for use where the files are kept on a cloud and the user wants to play them on their local network PUPs?

Curious of the application's aim.

Thanks in advance of your insight.

rcrsn51

Post by rcrsn51 »

Clarity wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 6:48 pm

Curious of the application's aim.

The "aim" is described in the instructions. Test it yourself on a LAN so you can see how it works.

Clarity

Post by Clarity »

Ah, OK,,,The utility is not for CloudOS-LAN use.

Thanks

rcrsn51

How to capture web-based audio using ALSA

Post by rcrsn51 »

The following method works for me with a variety of web browsers and sources. It is based on the discussion here. It should work OOTB - no additional hardware/software is required. With version 1.1, you can now hear the audio source during the recording.

1. Download and install the attached alsa-capture package. (Remove the fake .gz extension.)
2. Open a terminal and run: alsa-capture
3a. You must launch your browser or media player AFTER you start the script.
3b. If the capture is working, you should see the volume meter changing.
3c. You must stop the capture by pressing Ctrl-C. Don't just close the terminal window.
3d. You must then FULLY shut down the player. Don't just stop the playback.
4. The captured audio is in the file /root/alsa-capture.mp3.
5. If you are capturing audio from a run-as-guest web browser, you will need another step. Ask for help.

Notes:

You must start the script first and the player second so the player can use the new /root/.asoundrc config file that enables capturing. You should fully stop the player after the capture so it can revert back to using the original .asoundrc.

The above procedure is not always necessary, once you understand how alsa-capture works. For example, if you are recording from a web page, you could leave the browser open and record several clips. By timestamping the output filenames, you could play them back in an audio player while the browser is still running.

If your ALSA system gets confused, delete .asoundrc.

If your audio output device is something other than the standard hw:0,0 (like hw:1,0 for USB or hw:0,3 for HDMI), open the hidden file /root/.alsa-capture and change the device.

If you have trouble with dropouts when recording, open the hidden file /root/.asoundrc.capture and UNcomment lines 26-27.

See the comment here about recording with ffmpeg.

Alsa-capture is intended to be an occasional-use-only app. Most of the time, your .asoundrc has the basic small version. When you want to record something, the script switches to .asoundrc.capture. When done, it switches back. So if you want to change your audio some other way, like run the equalizer or play to Bluetooth, you can do this from the basic setup. You don't have to struggle with modifying the complicated capture version. If you really want to leave your setup in permanent capture mode, there are other projects on the forum that can do this.

-------------------

Attachments
alsa-capture_1.4_all.deb.gz
Updated 2022-06-12
(1.38 KiB) Downloaded 55 times
xscreenshot-20220605T072651.png
xscreenshot-20220605T072651.png (46.01 KiB) Viewed 3395 times
Last edited by rcrsn51 on Fri Jun 17, 2022 10:10 pm, edited 40 times in total.
fredx181

Post by fredx181 »

Hi Bill,

3. Follow the instructions. If you can hear output from your regular speakers, you have done it wrong.

I wouldn't know what I could have done wrong, .asoundrc contains what's supposed to be, I guess (copy of .asoundrc.capture) but I hear sound from my speakers.
The file alsa-capture.mp3 is written but playing it gives only silence.
I tried replacing the content of .asoundrc with the content as adviced here: https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=251591 (just before pressing Enter) and before that, had changed in the alsa-capture script to:
arecord -V mono -f cd -D hw:1,1 | lame - /root/alsa-capture.mp3
And that worked for me .

rcrsn51

Post by rcrsn51 »

Make sure that you start the script BEFORE you start your web browser. Otherwise, the browser will use the regular .asoundrc and play to your speakers. You want the browser to use the new default ALSA device from .asoundrc.capture.

What browser are you using and what website are you capturing from?

fredx181

Post by fredx181 »

I played some music with Deadbeef as a test, assuming that should work. Is it only for when playing from browser ?

EDIT:

Make sure that you start the script BEFORE you start your web browser.

I did start Deadbeef after running alsa-capture

Return to “Debian-Live Starter Kit”