The Debian-Live Daedalus Starter Kit

Moderator: fredx181

rcrsn51

Re: The Debian-Live Daedalus Starter Kit

Post by rcrsn51 »

The Daedalus k6.1.0-9-amd64 wifi driver pack is here.

It contains the rtl 88x2bu driver which supports the obda:b812 device. In your PeasyWifi Config, make sure to set "DRIVER=nl80211".

According to my notes, the old protocol "DRIVER=wext" no longer works with this device.

dcung

Post by dcung »

rcrsn51 wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2023 3:04 am

The Daedalus k6.1.0-9-amd64 wifi driver pack is here.

It contains the rtl 88x2bu driver which supports the obda:b812 device. In your PeasyWifi Config, make sure to set "DRIVER=nl80211".

According to my notes, the old protocol "DRIVER=wext" no longer works with this device.

Tested. Works! :thumbup:

Thanks Bill.

2023-09-04-144121_379x308_scrot.png
2023-09-04-144121_379x308_scrot.png (35.76 KiB) Viewed 3468 times
rcrsn51

PeasyPDF

Post by rcrsn51 »

This is PeasyPDF updated to be gtk3 compatible. It uses the new xdialog3 package which is posted above with PeasyMP3.

Attachments
peasypdf-gtk3_5.1_all.deb.gz
Updated 2023-09-09
Remove the fake .gz extension
(7.15 KiB) Downloaded 37 times
Last edited by rcrsn51 on Sat Sep 09, 2023 7:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rcrsn51

The Daedalus Starter Kit and Themes

Post by rcrsn51 »

The Starter Kit ISO contains the very old theme package greybird-theme-dd-stretch. It mostly works OK but you may want an upgrade to the latest version from Bookworm. Run:

Code: Select all

apt remove greybird-theme-dd-stretch
apt install greybird-gtk-theme
apt autoremove

Note: After you install the new Greybird theme, some gtk2 apps like leafpad will throw command-line errors. Re-install the package gtk2-engines-pixbuf. Or get the gtk3 version named l3afpad.

When running gtkdialog apps with this theme, the fonts look too grey and faded for my liking. So I darkened them with

sed -i 's/3c3c3c/000000/g' /usr/share/themes/Greybird/gtk-3.0/gtk.css

--------------------

Last edited by rcrsn51 on Fri Sep 15, 2023 1:54 pm, edited 5 times in total.
rcrsn51

Post by rcrsn51 »

PeasyPDF is updated here and PeasyScale here.

rockedge
Site Admin

Post by rockedge »

@rcrsn51 In KLV-Airedale-RT I used xdeb to install the PeasyPDF v5.1 .deb file. Glad to report it starts, but not working. What can I do to get it going (if possible)?

Screenshot_2023-09-30_19-49-25_500px.jpg
Screenshot_2023-09-30_19-49-25_500px.jpg (16.48 KiB) Viewed 3114 times
greengeek

Re: Installing Brother printers in Buster64 [update]

Post by greengeek »

rcrsn51 wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 12:44 pm

Many Brother printer models only have 32bit Linux drivers, so some work-arounds are required.

1. Read the general instructions from the old forum here #74. It also discusses Brother scanner drivers.

2. If you have a Brother laser printer, the 64bit driver from here #383 may work well. This driver is also available from the Debian repos as printer-driver-brlaser.

3. If you have an inkjet printer with just a 32bit driver, follow these new instructions.

Important: Some Brother drivers need Perl. After installing the driver, check by running: grep -r perl /opt/brother
If you need it, get the "perl" package via apt-get. Or just install it in advance to be safe.

a. Download the http://www.mediafire.com/file/o8is279ar ... ashfs/file. It contains the 32bit libraries required by the Brother driver.
b. Drop this squashfs module into the "live" folder of your install so it will be auto-loaded at bootup.
c. Download the two Debian printer driver packages.
d. They must be installed from the command line using "debbi-compat". For example, open a terminal (F4) where the files are located and run:

debbi-compat mfcj470dwlpr-3.0.0-1.i386.deb #Hint: use Tab completion
debbi-compat mfcj470dwcupswrapper-3.0.0-1.i386.deb

e. Go to /usr/lib/cups/filter and locate the Brother file named something like br_xxx_model.
f. Open a terminal and run:

filter-fix br_xxx_model
  1. The above procedure may have automatically installed a CUPS printer. Test it. Otherwise, do the usual CUPS install.

Many thanks for this tutorial. I was having a lot of trouble installing a Brother inkjet MFC-J6510DW on a version of Fossa64 9.5 but was successful after using your filter-fix and the compatibility squashfs you linked.
I did not seem to need the debbi-compat part of the instructions as I was using the "Driver install tool" (linux-brprinter-installer-2.2.3-1) and it appeared to be handling that part of the process.
(Also - I did not initially realise that I even had debbi-compat available but i think maybe that was installed as part of the compatibility sfs??)
Anyway - after a few stumbles I got to a successful outcome. (Which would have been very unlikely without your information and utilities)
Cheers! :thumbup:

rcrsn51

Post by rcrsn51 »

Removed. See below for another kernel upgrade.

Last edited by rcrsn51 on Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:50 pm, edited 3 times in total.
dcung

Post by dcung »

rcrsn51 wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 8:47 am

I have included the matching combo-wifi-driver-pack. It handles several WiFi cards that still prefer their vendor driver, like the Broadcom wl.

Tested the combo pack with my USB WiFi Realtek (8812BU chip). Works. Thanks.

dancytron

Post by dancytron »

Built an SD card for my Gen 3 Lenovo 11e legacy boot laptop with the Debian Multi-installer. As always, the Debian Multi-installer worked to create the legacy installer with grub2. Installed Devuan Starter Kit among other things.

With the new kernel, got to the desktop but there was something hung in the background that made it unusable.

Default kernel boots to the desktop and works fine except no sound after I installed mpv and dog radio. Sound works in my Debian Dog Bookworm with Chrome test install, so it might be as simple as adding all the same drivers.

Added intel wifi drivers from the repo to Starter kit and wifi works.

rcrsn51

Post by rcrsn51 »

I also have a Braswell-era Chromebook, but with the full UEFI firmware conversion. I set up a UEFI-bootable SD card, installed the Starter Kit and switched to the Sid kernel.

It booted and ran OK, but slowly.

[Edit] I changed the boot arguments to "copy2ram" and "changes=EXIT:". The system became MUCH more useable when running off the SD card.

I cannot comment on your Legacy mode setup, but there have always been potential memory management issues with this method. Also, look at the files in the new Sid kernel. They are now xz-compressed. This might cause problems on slow machines.

Regarding audio on Braswell units: run the "myalsaucm.sh" script attached below. Follow the instructions carefully.

In Sound Card Selector, set the chtrt5650 device as default, possibly 0-0-0.

In AlsaMixer, unmute the SpeakerChannel and ExtSpk controls. Adjust the volume level with the DAC1 control.

The headphone port also works.

Attachments
myalsaucm.sh.tar.gz
Extract as usual - this is NOT a fake .gz file
(992 Bytes) Downloaded 14 times
Last edited by rcrsn51 on Sat Mar 16, 2024 2:07 pm, edited 4 times in total.
dancytron

Post by dancytron »

Thanks.

Might be next week before I get to test it.

Sid kernel could have been just slowness. Old kernel is much faster.

Dan

dancytron

Post by dancytron »

It works.

It found "Headphone, Speaker, Mic1, and Mic2".

When I chose all 4, it didn't work.

Ran it again and just chose Speaker and it works.

I don't have an old style set of headphones handy. I'll have to find some to test that.

Is there any real advantage to the new kernel if the old kernel is working fine?

Dan

fredx181

Post by fredx181 »

Besides the audio subject discussion, I'd like to say that if you want to use a newer kernel on a "stable" release, IMO it's better to use the kernel from backports rather than the Sid kernel.
Booting with the sid kernel on itself may work OK but if you want e.g. to install the matching linux-headers (for e.g. compiling kernel modules) it may become tricky (then can't find matching linux-headers) as the Sid toolchain is different from 'stable", no such problem when booting with the backports kernel AND having the backports repo enabled in sources.list (or just have it enabled temporarily, when needed).
EDIT: The "upgrade-kernel" script can be used for creating a backports kernel setup, but first the (bookworm-)backports repo should be enabled in sources.list.

dancytron

Post by dancytron »

Unless there is a major security upgrade, I don't see any reason to upgrade kernels other than to contribute to general testing.

rcrsn51

Post by rcrsn51 »

I have posted here a kernel upgrade package based on Daedalus Backports k6.6.13. Just drop the files into your "live" folder. This kernel upgrade serves two purposes:

1. It has drivers for some newer WiFi cards that have entered the mainstream kernel and will now work OOTB.
2. It has the audio drivers required by various Apollolake/Geminilake Chromebooks.

As usual, I have included the matching combo-wifi-driver-pack. It has been fully tested against all the target wifi adapters.

Return to “Debian-Live Starter Kit”