pupex

trackpad does not work focalpup 32 bit

Post by pupex »

Hello

I am using an eee pc 900 laptop

this laptop a 900 mhz CPU which is only capable of handling 32 bit

i downloaded focalpup 32 bit from here:
https://forum.puppylinux.com/viewtopic.php?p=14070

laptop boots fine and focalpup seems to work however my trackpad is NOT working . I cannot select anything with it.

I went into the settings just to make sure its not disabled and it appears it should be working fine but nothing.

Just to make sure I tested other linux distros like linux mint , lxle and lubuntu on this laptop the trackpad works fine on all the distros.

As a side note i also tried loading the focalpup version of 32 bit on my eeepc 701 SD but it just gets stuck on a black screen with an underscore.
In theory since both the eee pc 701SD and 900 model share the SAME cpu it should also work on the smaller laptop. Both laptops are also using 2 GB of ram, the only difference is 1 has a 7'' display and the other has a 9'' display.

Bionic pup 32 bit seems to work fine on the eeepc 701 SD model and has no problem loading

Phoenix

Re: trackpad does not work focalpup 32 bit

Post by Phoenix »

Did you try pressing TAB to go through the buttons and press enter on the button for 'Dead Mouse?' when puppy greets you with the setup wizard?

IRC: firepup | Time to hack Puppy!

pupex

Post by pupex »

Phoenix wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 9:41 pm

Did you try pressing TAB to go through the buttons and press enter on the button for 'Dead Mouse?' when puppy greets you with the setup wizard?

I haven't tried that

Will try , but last i checked i didn't see the dead mouse section

pupex

Post by pupex »

Please note there is no such option on MY start up wizard where it lists '' dead mouse'' anywhere on there

Is there perhaps another solution for non functional trackpad?

Also how does one upgrade from lets say bionicpup to focalpup without having to reinstall everything? Maybe since the trackpad works on bionicpup and i just do an upgrade it will keep working

mikeslr

Post by mikeslr »

The 'dead mouse' query is at the very bottom of the first-start GUI. It may have been cut-off by the small size of your monitor. Perhaps someone could suggest a boot argument to have focalpup32 boot to desktop employing a different screen resolution.

Sorry, there's no way to either 'upgrade' or 'downgrade' from one operating system to another. Puppy is not one operating system, but rather a family of operating systems having a common design and employing some common infra-structures: think 'nuts & bolt's.

Their modular design makes it possible to swap kernels. Some applications are ubiquitous (no-arch) and can be used with any Puppy. Some are 'after-market' which can also be used with any. But what you're asking is like dropping a ford braking system into a chevy. You can do it; but not without a lot of retro-fitting. Far more work than starting from scratch; and far more likely to generate major mistakes.

What makes focalpup32 focalpup32 are the applications contained in the puppy_upupff_xxx.sfs file-system. Some are created using libraries not available under bionicpup32 or any other Puppy. Those libraries are also required by applications you installed using Puppy Package Manager. They were installed into either a SaveFile or a SaveFolder and that, as well, can only be used with focalpup32.

bigpup

Post by bigpup »

Can you plug a mouse into the computer so you can use it to move around and access stuff?

If you go to menu->Setup->Mouse/keyboard Wizard->Touchpad

What happens?

Forum Global Moderator
The things you do not tell us, are usually the clue to fixing the problem.
When I was a kid, I wanted to be older.
This is not what I expected :o

pupex

Post by pupex »

Sorry i should have been more specific

the trackpad works for moving the mouse i just cannot tap it to select anything

When i must select something i have to press tab, move the arrows and then press enter on the keyboard

Again the cursor will move around with the trackpad but i cannot tap to make selections as it won't detect my ''taps''

I see a lot of options on the trackpad setup option but always all options i tick on and off did not solve the issue in regarding to tapping

I am posting a screenshot of what my laptop shows, the dead mouse section is completely missing.
I also connected the laptop to an external monitor that was about 21'' just to make sure anything was not being cutoff, there was no different in anything missing it still displays the same i see on the laptop for the initial setup wizard

I tried this exact distro on 2 other laptops ( which are a bit more modern) and well the trackpad tap seems to work just fine on them, its just the eee pc 900 that seems to have issues. However I already clarified that the issues are just using this version of puppy linux since the trackpad works completely fine using other linux distros and even an older puppy version ( bionic pup). The dead mouse section is also missing from the initial setup wizard on my other laptops ( which are bigger at 12.5'' and 14'') so it seems its specific to this specific 32 bit version that it may be missing altogether but the other 2 laptops did not have the tap trackpad problem

Attachments
focal wizard.jpg
focal wizard.jpg (97.46 KiB) Viewed 2047 times
bigpup

Post by bigpup »

Finally, 7 posts into the topic and we finally get the information we need! :roll:

The actual problem is getting tapping to work on the touchpad.

Forum Global Moderator

bigpup

Post by bigpup »

eee pc's are somewhat picky about hardware support.

We can try some ideas to work out your problem and maybe fix it.

I suggest you try this version of Puppy specifically tweaked for eee pc's.
https://forum.puppylinux.com/viewtopic.php?t=4704

Forum Global Moderator

pupex

Post by pupex »

The xenial one seems to work fine, but i wanted to try focal considering its newer

Anyways for anyone wondering or for perhaps future people that may look into this ( if they have a similar laptop) , the issue seem to come from the 20.12 focal build.

I downloaded the 20.04 focal 32 bit one from here
http://distro.ibiblio.org/puppylinux/pu ... -20.04.htm

and it works fine, almost as fast as the xenial one and can even use more modern things.
In fact i can browse the web fine, but even with 2 gb of ram my laptop kind of suffers if i try to skim through lets say amazon or websites with heavy pictures and such.

But for reading files, modifying pdfs, exchanging documents and setting this laptop to pull files while i am at work it works perfect so far with the download i linked from above

Seems non stable versions or with limited hardware support have issues, because i tried the lxde one that was a 21.02 and that too had the keyboard issue

So this is resolved , thanks to whoever assisted and tried to help

Return to “Beginners Help”