Tilde wins hands down!

Moderator: Forum moderators

geo_c

Tilde wins hands down!

Post by geo_c »

After a good discussion of terminal editors ( https://forum.puppylinux.com/viewtopic.php?t=6252 ), of which I installed just about all of them and have been accessing them from various applications like Midnight Commander, Mutt, and elinks, I became frustrated with several aspects of Minimum Profit, mcedit, and Micro, which were the three candidates in the running for first place. Most of my frustration had to do with displaying word wrap and so forth, with which I found it difficult to establish a consistent workflow. Especially when using the text editor to reply to email in neomutt. All three of those editors are fine for editing config file settings on the fly and things of that nature, but for dealing with long lines and quick composition of natural language, they didn't quite work for me.

So I started using Tilde editor, and was actually blown away by it. I think it's a sleeper really. It does everything that a basic gui text editor does for the most part: standard editing keystrokes, drop-down menus, syntax-highlighting, smooth mouse support, 256-Color configurations from the drop down menus, and consistent user-friendly word wrap. So I thought after getting so many replies to the Micro editor topic linked above, that I should give this update.

Of course I have configured the colors for high contrast, as that's my bent. I also made it the default text editor in fossapup using the built-in default applications chooser by entering the line: rxvt -e tilde. It boots up from ROX and all the other X applications, however I'm still getting Minimum Profit from some of the terminal applications like Midnight Commander, as I'm not sure exactly where to tell urxvt to use tilde. I think it's possible to do that with .Xdefaults, but I haven't tried yet. Other terminal applications are able to set the associations in their own config files.

@rockedge, you might want to consider this for KLV.

geo_c
Old School Hipster, and Such

williwaw

Re: Tilde wins hands down!

Post by williwaw »

tilde has the right proportion of simplicity and convenience for use in the terminal here also.

run # echo $EDITOR
if it returns mp, then it is set as one of your environment variables, and mc is defaulting to that.

to list all your variables

run # printenv

https://linuxconfig.org/how-to-set-and- ... s-on-linux

Other terminal applications are able to set the associations in their own config files.

mc should offer to let you choose your editor from among a list when you first use 4edit
there should also be a message for how to change the choice in the mc configs

Last edited by williwaw on Wed Jul 13, 2022 7:40 pm, edited 3 times in total.
bigpup

Post by bigpup »

Can you provide us a download link to Tilde?

Forum Global Moderator
The things you do not tell us, are usually the clue to fixing the problem.
When I was a kid, I wanted to be older.
This is not what I expected :o

one

Post by one »

Hi @bigpup,

tilde should be available via PPM (version 1.1.2 in bullseye repo)

peace

geo_c

Post by geo_c »

one wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 6:54 pm

Hi @bigpup,

tilde should be available via PPM (version 1.1.2 in bullseye repo)

peace

Yes, Tilde is available on github, but it's in the fossapup ppm also.

Actually, reading the github page, they recommend not using the github download, but instead going to this official download: https://os.ghalkes.nl/tilde/download.html

But here's the github link also: https://github.com/gphalkes/tilde

I installed from the fossapup ppm.

geo_c

geo_c

Post by geo_c »

williwaw wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 4:55 pm

run # echo $EDITOR
if it returns mp, then it is set as one of your environment variables, and mc is defaulting to that.
to list all your variables
run # printenv
https://linuxconfig.org/how-to-set-and- ... s-on-linux

Ah, thank you, that was easy, I'm off to the races now. That link explained it well. Before I read it I had opened bashrc, and the entries there looked so cryptic I thought "I better not mess with that!"

Great website, linuxconfig.org, I hadn't stumbled on that one yet.

geo_c

wiak

Post by wiak »

Tilde is certainly great in terms of having a friendly user interface, but... on my system at least, it was five to ten times bigger install (at around 6MB) than mp or nice editor so it should be expected to be 'better' than these much smaller text editors.To me Tilde seems pretty large for a non-GUI app. But I agree seems like the best in terms of intuitive interface user experience.

https://www.tinylinux.info/
DOWNLOAD wd_multi for hundreds of 'distros' at your fingertips: viewtopic.php?p=99154#p99154
Αξίζει να μεταφραστεί;

geo_c

Post by geo_c »

wiak wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 2:26 pm

Tilde is certainly great in terms of having a friendly user interface, but... on my system at least, it was five to ten times bigger install (at around 6MB) than mp or nice editor so it should be expected to be 'better' than these much smaller text editors.To me Tilde seems pretty large for a non-GUI app. But I agree seems like the best in terms of intuitive interface user experience.

Fair enough! But as a person who deals with a lot of LARGE files and libraries, I don't think of 6MB as anything more than a single decent quality mp3 file. I'm not knocking the other editors, certainly they have capabilities that I don't believe Tilde even attempts, like compiling options etc. Tilde is not a programming editor, but it's more of a user text editor, with the added convenience of syntax highlighting to make viewing and editing configs and scripts a little easier. So I think it rides the fence very well. It serves a pretty wide niche.

geo_c

rockedge
Site Admin

Post by rockedge »

Tilde editor reminds me of the MSDOS days! Tilde looks and acts just like the QuickBasic4.5 IDE which I used very often and still mess around with in DOSBox or a VirtualBox running something like MS-DOS 5.0 or 6+

williwaw

Post by williwaw »

geo_c wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 1:28 pm

Ah, thank you, that was easy, I'm off to the races now. That link explained it well. Before I read it I had opened bashrc, and the entries there looked so cryptic I thought "I better not mess with that!"

actually .bashrc is useful for personal configurations.

for instance, if you start tilde or mc with the -b option, they display with your terminal background.

in a rxvt terminal session, you can create an alias by # alias td="tilde -b" , so that each time you # td in that instance of rxvt, it will start tilde with the -b arguement.
if you want the alias to persist across different new rxvt windows, or after a reboot of fossa, you can add it to your .bashrc . Should you not wish to mess with your .bashrc just now, aliases can also go in .bashrc_aliases.

create the file .bashrc_aliases in /root, and add for instance,

Code: Select all

alias mc='mc -b'
alias td="tilde -b"

on the next boot your aliases should work. you can also # source .bashrc_aliases to check your config without rebooting. lots of different personalizations can go in .bashrc, but that might be a subject for a different thread.

this is mc -b, (or just mc if using an alias) with a reverse color urxvt config (that blue is too blue for my likes)

Screenshot.png
Screenshot.png (33.29 KiB) Viewed 918 times

Return to “Business”