Firefox and save-file shrink (solved)

Post here if you feel others can duplicate your so discovered "bug"

Moderator: Forum moderators

8Geee

Firefox and save-file shrink (solved)

Post by 8Geee »

It appears that in later versions of Firefox (at least 78esr and 90.0.1... maybe earlier) that there are files that DO NOT CLEAR when the clear cache option is selected in Edit/Preferences/Security/History/Clear History. I discovered this in my re-master, and it ate up a lot of the save file, continuing to grow.

This long-winded post in AtomicPup22 addresses the issue with steps needed to mitigate, but not solve the bug.

Automating Step 8 upon Browser close would be of good service. I jusst don't know how/where to script the 'solve'.

Regards
8Geee

Last edited by bigpup on Fri Jul 08, 2022 7:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: added solved to subject to show a solution was found

Money talks... no, it shouts, so that it doesn't have to hear common sense.

Burunduk

Re: Firefox and save-file shrink

Post by Burunduk »

Don't see it in Firefox 91esr on Fossapup. If firefox is not running, the directory /root/.cache/mozilla/firefox/profile-name/cache2 is empty. If the automatic cache cleaning doesn't work for you, maybe your firefox profile is corrupted. You could create a new one with firefox -P to test this.

Regarding the -current files in the startupCache directory, you can try to always run firefox with the -purgecaches option.

Finally, firefox can be started in a wrapper script without exec or & but with some commands added after it. The script will wait for the browser to quit. Something like this:

Code: Select all

#!/bin/sh
firefox
rm -f what-you-want
8Geee

Re: Firefox and save-file shrink

Post by 8Geee »

Some of the problems encountered were due to "Always use Private Mode". Your Custom solution works well ticking all boxes. Thanks for that. I shudda figgured Moz would do something like that. Never had that problem in FF66.05 or in 78.9esr. So no more Private Browsing Mode... use Custom history just tick bottom box only. I'll get around to use by Command line with some rm statements. If I read correctly, they won't exec until closure.

Thanks again
8Geee

Money talks... no, it shouts, so that it doesn't have to hear common sense.

Return to “Bug Reports”