why a need of translations?

Language Packs

Moderator: Forum moderators

oui

why a need of translations?

Post by oui »

I am not expert. Not expert in Puppy, not expert in L18 processing. And I don't like to translate... If I have to write in 3 languages in the same matter, I don't translate but write all 3 versions fresh...

But I did discover yesterday a certain new member at the Puppy forum, Exton, the owner of the wonderful Linux and Android page https://extix.se .

And I already use and play with his distros months and months. And read his interesting comments for each new stage of his distro.

And did read with highest interest that he encourage other people to imitate him and create new iso's exactly as we want using the refracta tools coming from the Devuan world. He did also encourage to strip after that the own new distro using the refracta exclude list.

Now, after those explications, the idea:

Do inverse that: put really all stuff you can spare into the exclude list and comment with rem only the script that you will have in you distro: Devuan do the rest, you never need to translate somewhat important! Finish the claim to have no translation!

BologneChe

Re: why a need of translations?

Post by BologneChe »

What is the link between Puppy and translations? Moderators...what do you do?

Born to lose; live to win

bigpup

Re: why a need of translations?

Post by bigpup »

Puppy Linux needs translations of a lot of the programs in Puppy Linux.
These programs are scripts that are written in English.
So, to run the program and have it read in a different language, a translation is needed.

In the past, there was several people that made it their job to keep a specific language pack pet, updated.
As Puppy script programs changed.
They update the language pack, they were overseeing.

It would be great if people would get back to doing this, for the more commonly used languages.

The program Momanager
MoManager will help you to create and edit language translations for your country, for many of the applications in Puppy.
With it, you can make a specific language pack, that can be installed into a Puppy.
The language pack, will have translations, of all these different scripts programs.
The specific language pack, you can make into a pet package.
This can be posted in the forum, so others can use it.

When you run the Momanager program.
It has a lot of info guiding you along.
A help, that goes into detail, about using it and making a language pack.

Other programs in Puppy or ones you download and install.
Usually will have available translations, that come in the program package or have a program web site, that has them.
Example:
Geany program
https://www.geany.org/contribute/transl ... tatistics/

Forum Global Moderator
The things you do not tell us, are usually the clue to fixing the problem.
When I was a kid, I wanted to be older.
This is not what I expected :o

Return to “Internationalization”