i can't boot into Live usb, straight to grub.

New to Puppy and have questions? Start here

Moderator: Forum moderators

xiaoboy

i can't boot into Live usb, straight to grub.

Post by xiaoboy »

i can't boot into the installation cd because it goes straight to grub every single time. is it because my computer doesn't use EFI or what? ive done this with latest ScPup 32bit and latest Slacko 32bit.

do i need to enter something in grub menu to get it to boot or what?

mikeslr

Re: i can't boot into Live usb, straight to grub.

Post by mikeslr »

Your title says "Live usb"; but your text refers to " the installation cd". Which is it?

Have you configured your Bios to boot the CD before the Hard-drive? I always set it to boot CD/DVD first; then USB-ports; then Hard-drive.

It's been a long time since I booted using a CD. How exactly did you burn it? IIRC, it uses syslinux as boot loader. Can you use the operating system you used to burn the cd to examine the files on the CD? Are there files ending in '.cfg', such as syslinux.cfg? These are just text files you can open/examine in any test viewer/editor.
What exactly does (each) say?

Exactly what computer --make a model-- and what operating systems do you have access to from any computer? Why a CD? Can your computer boot from a USB-port? It is much easier to modify --if necessary at all -- the boot code of any Puppy 'burned' to a USB-Key. For computers running Windows, see the recipe here, viewtopic.php?p=40522#p40522

If you burned the ISO to the USB-Key using some other application, or some other recipe, it's likely that the configuration file --grub.cfg, or some other '.cfg'-- identifies the device as a CD. If so, edit the code to read 'usb'.

Last edited by mikewalsh on Tue Jul 05, 2022 11:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Small grammatical correction...
ARAN

Post by ARAN »

It may be that you try to boot a puppy image that is mean to be booted only using a CD-ROM and not a usb drive.

If you can try to burn the puppy on a cd rom and boot it that way it will work for sure.

If you don't have a cd rom try to alter the puppy image to be a hybrid iso,
with this tools here suggested by other member you can burn puppy images as hybrid iso to a drive and
your problems should be solved.

MS Windows - Rufus
Puppy LInux - Stickpup
MS Windows, Mac, Linux - ROSA_ImageWriter

Here you can find more information's why a puppy linux image
fails to boot for specific puppy distros and how to solve it on a linux machine.

https://ievs.ch/knowhow/index.php?page= ... hybrid-iso

Most of the time its because the images are not made to be booted from usb drive but are made only
to be booted from cd-rom and only way to solve this is to burn the images as iso hybrids images.

I have had the same problem with booting and after flashing the puppy image as hybrid iso to my usb drive
the problem with booting got solved.

PuppyLinux User since 2005
HackLab Member at https://ievs.ch/

xiaoboy

Post by xiaoboy »

thanks this was helpful. i might not have access to a computer for a while so i will try out these soon

bigpup

Post by bigpup »

i can't boot into the installation cd because it goes straight to grub every single time.

This indicates you need to make sure the computers bios setup has the CD drive as the first boot device.

If you are talking about a live install on a USB drive.
The USB drive needs to be first boot device in the computers bios setup.

You did burn the ISO image to the CD?
Selected burn image fie or image burn in the burning program.

Whatever you installed on.
When you look at what is on it.
There should be a bunch of different files.

The things you do not tell us, are usually the clue to fixing the problem.
When I was a kid, I wanted to be older.
This is not what I expected :o

Return to “Beginners Help”