Installing Friendly-Bionic 32 to a thumb drive. possible incompatibility

Post here if you feel others can duplicate your so discovered "bug"

Moderator: Forum moderators

cobaka

Installing Friendly-Bionic 32 to a thumb drive. possible incompatibility

Post by cobaka »

@wizard
In summary: I installed Friendly Bionic(32) to a 16G thumb-drive.
Shutdown & second boot ended with an unexpected result.
I suspect the installation tool is incompatible with a more recent Puppy. See end of this report.

(A) The installation process.
a.1 Installation was done using uPupBB32, thumb-drive and an I3 box.
a.2 Location of *.iso file: https://forum.puppylinux.com/viewtopic.php?t=5188
a.3 Installation tool: Applications -> setup -> Puppy Installer (lightning bolt)

a.4 The installation ran as expected, no glitches with a green message-box that essentially said "all OK".

(B) The bug-a-boo.
b.1 Thumb-drive transferred to ASUS Eee netbook and booted. Operated as expected.
connected to NBN (ie the 'www') and so on.
b.2 shut-down, ran thru the normal process of making a pup-save file.
b.3 The first problem: offered to write the save file to sdb1 - a small (probably 800MiB partition (FAT32) used as the 'boot' partition. I would have preferred to put the save file on the HDD - sda2, but it didn't go there. i.e. /mnt/sda2/save
b.4 Instead, Puppy wrote the save file as sdb1/sda2/save/upupBBsave.3fs OK. No damage.
The Atom is a new installation. I expect the only info in the save file was initial config - language, time zone, country, and so on.
b.5 I moved the save file 'up' to sdb1/pupsave and rebooted. I didn't shut down and then turn the power on. I just clicked the green 'reboot' button. (Just to make that clear).
So - after the Atom shut-down, and before re-boot began pupsave was in sdb1/uPupBBsave.3fs. Next - this is the interesting part.
b.6 On re-booting, Friendly Puppy found the save file and declared it to be 'old'.
Apparently there is a newer form of save-file - something like 'Woof'. The newer Woof isn't compatible with pupsave (I was warned) but the OS allowed me to try a conversion. And I did!
b.7 The result: "performing a 'switch-root' and then! Kernel Panic. Who is this Colonel Panic? I got a series of messages - dump stack - panic - do_exit ....
Then - the black screen of 'death'!

What else should I add to complete this report?
Well, for the moment: Distro is Bionic Pup32 19.03.
OK - I'm about to reboot, this time with the option 'no-pupsave' What will happen? Will the world end? ... No - just a normal 'first time' boot.
Puppy wants to know what language I speak and my time zone etc.

My guess: The "lightning bolt" installer/app has some incompatibility with Friendly Bionic.
This is the first time (ever) when I installed Puppy using the lightning bolt to install Puppy Linux to a thumb-drive.

собака

Last edited by cobaka on Sun Jul 03, 2022 9:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

собака --> это Русский --> an old dog
"so-baka" (not "co", as in coast or crib).

wizard

Re: Installing Friendly-Bionic 32 to a thumb drive. Bug report

Post by wizard »

@cobaka

Not sure this is a "bug" of any kind.
1. I would start over and create your Friendly Bionic32 USB using one of the tested methods listed here: https://forum.puppylinux.com/viewtopic.php?t=5192

2. Write the save file to the default save location, do not edit the directory line.

The only way I know to use a relocated save file/folder is to add: psave=/yourpath to the grub kernel line.

Maybe @bigpup or someone else knows a different method.

Thanks
wizard

Big pile of OLD computers

rockedge
Site Admin

Re: Installing Friendly-Bionic 32 to a thumb drive. Bug report

Post by rockedge »

One of 3 things could be happening to cause the kernel panic. Neither one that bad.
1. the BOOT Stanza in menu.lst has a flaw
2. kernel modules and or firmware are not being loaded during boot
3. ( not as likely) save file/folder is not being found and or loaded properly during boot

Going by the way the savefile was to be written in one place but ended up in another is indicating something is awry

Return to “Bug Reports”