AtomicPup23- Neutronium Nine

Moderator: Forum moderators

8Geee

AtomicPup23- Neutronium Nine

Post by 8Geee »

AtomicPup23 "Neutronium Nine" is released based upon 01Micko's Slacko7.0 32bit i686 original. Browser is Firefox 78.15esr, e-pdf as pdf-reader. Slackware security updates to Jan. 10, 2023 installed. Unfortuneately, there are no WIFI drivers for the atheros 5K/9K/10K, but the ATL1e for ethernet is installed. and of course go thru the bookmarks and keep what you like. Please keep the AM-3 Radio link, its my website for building a 1-Transistor AM radio.

Please read the notes: Other video drivers removed. and FreeOffice 697_en remains. Sha sums in the text file (History 2015-22) at bottom. Basically, 2Gb memory necessary for this spin; iso is 345Mb that inflates to 1.02Gb. Partition size needs to be at least 1.5Gb including 256Mb save. Of course size/save to your own needs. Zram swap IS included (but not used by default).

Download iso and text files here. Updated version July 6, 2023.

Ap23-N9.jpg
Ap23-N9.jpg (40.61 KiB) Viewed 1533 times

8Geee

Last edited by 8Geee on Thu Jul 06, 2023 3:57 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Money talks... no, it shouts, so that it doesn't have to hear common sense.

Rocotzin

Re: AtomicPupXXII

Post by Rocotzin »

Thanks, I'm going to try it, although I'm very new to this, and even more so in Slacko, I tried official Slacko 7, I liked its low consumption, but I had problems with the screen.

Im using translator, sorry for the mistakes

8Geee

Post by 8Geee »

There are a few Atom netbooks late in the series that use a different video chip and driver.
Notably these CPU's...

N2600 N2800 D2500 D2550 D2560 D2570 D2700 (all late 2011)

The kernel (if not modified) can run these video processors but cannot render 3D pictures.

Regards
8Geee

8Geee

Post by 8Geee »

Tweaked version to remove scenery and fix some nitpicks. New default wallpaper.
See 1st post.

Regards
8Geee

8Geee

Post by 8Geee »

There is a Storage Bug (feature???) in the 78.15esr Browser. Seems that mozilla did not logically execute the "clear cache" option (enabled in AP22) properly. This WILL cause reduction in the free save-file space (aka personal storage: the green cylinder in the tray) And it got nasty big rather fast. I found a way with help from Burunduk such that only the necessary caches remain.

NONETHELESS, one still has to delete the -current version of these files manually, as they WILL add to the base files. To be honest here, if your save file is getting too small, one has to pop in the CD/DVD and reload AP22 (I had to do this, thats one BAD for moz). So there goes a half-hour.

1.) Disconnect from internet and open Browser. Click edit/preferences. Click on SECURITY then scroll down to Cookies & Site Data. CHECK Delete When Closed. Click on Clear Data, make sure BOTH boxes are ticked. Do not clear the cache yet.

2.) Scroll down to History, and UNCHECK "Always Use Private Mode", then select "Use Custom History". Click on SETTINGS and tick all boxes EXCEPT cache. Click OK. Do not clear History.

3.) Close browser. Then in puppy navigate to /root and show hidden files (<o> icon). Click on .cache then mozilla-->firefox-->xyz.default

4.) In here are 4 directories... we are only concerned with cache2 and startupCache
a.) In cache2 delete both folders.
b.) In startupCache delete any file with a "01" icon
c.) Navigate up to /root again then .mozilla. In here, follow firefox-->xyz.default-->datareporting-->archived. Delete all previous months listed. In the current month 'select-all' and delete.

5.) Close the navigation window, and open the Browser.
a.) In edit-->preferences-->security click on the custom browser settings and check the cache box. click OK.
b.) In the URL address bar type about:config and OK. Use the search term telemetry, and mark toolkit.telemetry.archive.enabled as FALSE

6.) Menu--> Shutdown--> Restart X.

7.) Upon restart, in puppy /root/.cache again: delete all files within Entries, then delete all files with a "01" icon in startupCache. Then close navigation.

What a mess, but it does work. And Step 7 has to be repeated after closing the browser EVERY TIME. At least at this point one can connect to internet and open Browser. :roll:

How bad is this??? eventually these files get copied into /initrd/ro_1 and the save-file.

*** EDITED TWICE *** To avoid Rule 7 repetition one will have to use Command Line and invoke a small script to a.) open Browser, b.) run three or four rm -f pathways to the cache. Otherwise Step 7 takes about 30-60 seconds of your life away. The about: config nitpick will be included in next update. So will removing servers and un-needed vid-drivers. But the original will remain for those needing servers.

Regards
8Geee

Last edited by 8Geee on Wed Jul 20, 2022 6:04 pm, edited 3 times in total.

8Geee

Post by 8Geee »

I was still getting save-file growth. I seemed to have stopped this. I have re-written the former post to include all changes needed. Notably Step 3.)

8Geee

Rocotzin

Post by Rocotzin »

Hello, first of all, thanks for the Remaster, I am very new even in this puppy, but I get my attention to try when you see the attention you are putting on.
According to I understand, the AP22 approach is to have an optimized system for atom processors, but I hope you can explain more about it, I repeat, I am new and I want to continue learning.
I tried AP22 in my HP Mini, atom N450 processor to 1.66 GHz with 1GB of RAM, I liked that it starts with 70 MB of RAM, and as I recognized all the hardware of my equipment I install it in a frugal type.
I am not very familiar with the "new" installer, only one use it to install Friendly Fossapup, but in the attempt damage the boot and I had to format, but this time I did not happen.
The only problem was that when restarting, the grub did not recognize it, but reinstall grub4dos with bionicpup and now it works well.
After changing the appearance by mistake :mrgreen: , I opened Firefox, just little time, I entered the Puppy forum and YouTube, but I did not notice the problem of reduction in the storage space.
Just that there is no sound on the videos on YouTube, even reproducing them in the Duckdukgo search engine, so I am using Palemoon 29.4.5.1 portable.
Playing on YouTube (Mobile version) to 360p, the consumption of RAM rises to 400MB and the CPU to 90%; The same video (downloaded with YT1S) at 480p only consumes 120MB of RAM and 30% CPU, while in 720p it is 130MB RAM and 50% CPU.
When trying to connect the cell phone to pass videos of the memory, it was not recognized, is there any tool for that?

Thanks again.

Im using translator, sorry for the mistakes

8Geee

Post by 8Geee »

Basic, I left all the tools in the puppy. If it can't tether, its because there was/is no tool provided in SLacko-7.0. You should ask there for guidance. For some reason Slacko-7.0 does NOT have the usual wifi drivers for the Atom CPU (ath5k/ath9k/ath10k).

It just dawned on me that when you load the puppy, it asks to install a boot-loader... the answer is yes.

Regards
8Geee

8Geee

Re: AtomicPup23- Neutronium Nine

Post by 8Geee »

Latest edition of AtomicPup "Neutronium Nine" will be ready before 8PM EST (1AM UT).
See the first post for the details.

Regards
8Geee

8Geee

Post by 8Geee »

Mid-Year update to AtomicPup-23. Slackware updates include X11, cups2.1.4, and ca-certs among others. Please see the first post. Sha256sum in the txt file.

Regards
8Geee (fiber-optic 345Mb U/L took 3 minutes compared to 2 hours copper-wire) :thumbup2:

8Geee

Post by 8Geee »

One nit here... my personal website expires in about a week, but I have new address. If you click in the link in the RADIO folder it will now show a link to new site. I will update this post after site expires.

Return to “Re-masters”