Which pup do you prefer for running games in wine?

Issues and / or general discussion relating to Puppy

Moderator: Forum moderators

artemis

Which pup do you prefer for running games in wine?

Post by artemis »

I'm curious which pups people prefer for running Windows games. I have had ok luck with lutris on fossapup64, but I have had trouble with some 32-bit games because the 32-bit compatibility sfs doesn't cover all the libraries needed by 32-bit wine. I am thinking I might install separate 32-bit and 64-bit pups for my 32 and 64 bit games so I don't have to worry about multi lib, but I'm not sure yet.

What do you like to use?

dimkr

Re: Which pup do you prefer for running games in wine?

Post by dimkr »

I use Vanilla Dpup for gaming, because most proprietary games I play need 32-bit libraries, and work just fine if all dependencies of Steam and Wine are installed. (I'm the developer of Vanilla Dpup, but I use it myself because I have old laptops that need a lightweight Puppy with apt support.)

Because apt works, all I need to do to install Steam, Wine and their 32-bit dependencies on a 64-bit Puppy, is:

Code: Select all

dpkg --add-architecture i386
apt update
apt install wine wine32 steam
mikewalsh

Re: Which pup do you prefer for running games in wine?

Post by mikewalsh »

@artemis :-

I can only speak from my own experience. However....

I'm no gamer, though I occasionally waste the odd half-hour with various indie FPS titles. One of my favourites is "Xonotic", which has been around for years. (I developed a vague interest in these types of things from a mate; I spent a lot of time round his house in the late 90s, and he was always playing stuff like Doom on an early PS1.)

Xonotic was ported to Linux almost from day one. The Linux version runs fine on almost any reasonably modern Puppy you care to name.....realistically, anything from Xenialpup onwards. It's always been available as an 'all-in-one' package, containing Linux 32- and 64-bit variants, Windows 32- and 64-bit variants, and for MacOS, too. You just fire it up via the appropriate launcher.

The folks over at PortableApps.com have turned it into a Windows 'portable' package.....and even this runs pretty well under Wine. In my 64-bitzers, all I do is use the WINE AppImage that trister found for us over at Github:-

viewtopic.php?t=1754

....which is easy as pie to set-up, despite having to be done manually (just 5 simple symlinks if you're using an existing WINE 'prefix', or 3 if you're setting-up from scratch).

I can't speak for AAA-title games. Never bothered with 'em.

Mike. ;)

Puppy "stuff" ~ MORE Puppy "stuff" ~ ....and MORE! :D

Return to “Users”